Cell Phones....

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
It looks like I can bring any cell/smart phone to DR and unlock it and use it in DR. I want to know if there's any perferred cell phone providers(like Verizon in NY/NJ area). So far I have learned Claro is very good in coverage and Orange is widely used. So I guess Claro=Verizon and Orange=T-Mobile? I currently have Verizon and I was looking into phone to bring to DR but I am stuck in which phones to get. I am leaning toward Samsung Exhibit II brand new for my wife and Samsung Galaxy S(II) for $250-$300US for me through craiglist. I have thought of getting getting Verizon Thunderbolt 4G used cheap and use that for both of us. I think anything above $300US it not worth for what a phone is made to for. I need advice on this I have searched and it looks like the answers are some what outdated.

Any thoughts on which phone to get in state to bring over to DR??

Thanks.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Be carefull with vrizon as far as i know all there phons do not use sim cards . I got burned on a vrizon i phone . No interchangeable sim = no phone in thr DR !!!

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
Are you visiting or plan on staying if just visiting just buy a prepaid phone from claro or orange

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Be carefull with vrizon as far as i know all there phons do not use sim cards . I got burned on a vrizon i phone . No interchangeable sim = no phone in thr DR !!!

I bought a verizon cell w/ a SIM card.
I got lucky in NYC - Lexington around 63-64th - and found a store staffed by Dominicanos... perfecto.

Got one for my wife - regular type and and Android(heaven forbid!!) fro myself - both have SIM cards

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

I bought a verizon cell w/ a SIM card.
I got lucky in NYC - Lexington around 63-64th - and found a store staffed by Dominicanos... perfecto.

Got one for my wife - regular type and and Android(heaven forbid!!) fro myself - both have SIM cards

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Thanks everyone for replies...
So it looks like T-Mobile is the way to go? I heard its more expensive to get a decent phone there. I don't want to get top of the line phones and I have read rooted Samsung exhibit II is a decent brand new phone for $200us.

I still have few more weeks to get one so I will keep my eyes out for GSM phones.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
If you want internet in the DR buy it there!! Tell them exactly what you expect from the phone. If you just want a phone to talk, just get a simple GSM.

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
It looks like I can bring any cell/smart phone to DR and unlock it and use it in DR.

This my friend I had to find out the hard way! I have 2 phones, I travel in Europe, Miami and Suriname (South America) so one would think if these phones work in all those places they would work in DR as well!

I bought a Claro sim card, I put it in the phone.. NO SIGNAL! :confused: And let you remind it, it's an unlocked phone so it should work with every sim card.

So I went to some shops because the phone needed to be unblocked, I don't know that code anymore but when you open the phone there is text in the area where you put your sim card in. The people told me the code that should've been there for the phone to work in DR isn't there. So the phone can't be used in DR.

I got EU phones, maybe all USA phones can be unblocked but my EU phones couldn't.