Solar water heaters

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Anyone here know someone or actually they themselves use a solar water heater? I asked in ferreteria Bellon and they had one for $90k. Seems a bit high but if it will save on electric then it would be worth it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't have one but know people that do and they are happy with them. Probably the best solar type investment in terms of payback time period. I also know a plumber that sells and installs them in the Cabarete area.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
I don't have one but know people that do and they are happy with them. Probably the best solar type investment in terms of payback time period. I also know a plumber that sells and installs them in the Cabarete area.

Would you happen to know what they spent on it? Or how much the plumber buy you know install them for?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The problem with the solar one's as I understand it is when the sun doesn't come out a lot there obviously is little heating. Here in Santiago we can go for almost a week without the sun being real hot so I believe you will need a backup.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
90k seems high. The condo where I live in Sosua got quotes in 2009 and two apartments bought them and had them installed on the roof. Much less than d90k each. Even considering the time difference, your 90k quote seems high.

I suggest you contact Easy Power at easypower@drpowerservice.com. The quotes we got were for the Megasun and Mega Sol solar systems.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The problem with the solar one's as I understand it is when the sun doesn't come out a lot there obviously is little heating. Here in Santiago we can go for almost a week without the sun being real hot so I believe you will need a backup.

You can run an electric line to the tank and heat the water that way if a few days pass without sun. The water gets so hot in the tank that you can go a couple of days if you aren't using a lot.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
90k seems high. The condo where I live in Sosua got quotes in 2009 and two apartments bought them and had them installed on the roof. Much less than d90k each. Even considering the time difference, your 90k quote seems high.

I suggest you contact Easy Power at easypower@drpowerservice.com. The quotes we got were for the Megasun and Mega Sol solar systems.

Awesome, I'm going to contact them for a quote. Would it need a pump and if so wouldn't that offset the savings on electrical?

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Pappatera ,and Linares, have them on sale starting at just under $900US, depending on size of course. I know a lot of people that have them and they swear by them

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Price a few different places. If you look around there are a variety of people who offer thermal solar systems at various prices depending on the materials used, quality of installation and guarantee. Rust is the biggest issue. You can put a black 55 gallon plastic barrel in the sun with a little faucet at the bottom, elevate it and you can take a couple of nice showers every day. If you want it on your roof with no worrys, and sufficient capacity, RD$90,000 may be a reasonable price. A back up electric system works if you want to spend the extra $$. It is worth it. You may use it 3 or 4 times a year or less. or if you have a lot people stay over and over use the designed capacity.

Ant

Feb 1, 2002
Solar Hot Water Heaters

I live in an apartment (rental) in the colonial zone of Santo Domingo. We have two of the solar heaters on the roof and I have NEVER been without hot water. Ever. They work great and there have been days on end without sun and again, we have NEVER been without hot water. I have no idea of the cost or installation, but I can tell you the only problem we have is that the water is too hot. ;)

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Do a business-like plan for captal outlay and operating expenses for solar vs. propane instant water heaters.
Don't be swayed by globaloney.

PS: expenses by year include lost opportunity on capital......

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
I live in an apartment (rental) in the colonial zone of Santo Domingo. We have two of the solar heaters on the roof and I have NEVER been without hot water. Ever. They work great and there have been days on end without sun and again, we have NEVER been without hot water. I have no idea of the cost or installation, but I can tell you the only problem we have is that the water is too hot. ;)

Are those two that are installed serving only your apartment?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This shouldn't be complicated..... for cheap cheap, just run your hose on the roof. It'll get hot - too hot.

Few solar systems will allow you a hot MORNING shower..... remember that.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
This shouldn't be complicated..... for cheap cheap, just run your hose on the roof. It'll get hot - too hot.

Few solar systems will allow you a hot MORNING shower..... remember that.
Lol, very practicable. I remember when I used to put out gallons of water on the sun and wair few hours till shower time.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Seriously, you see lots of swimming ools in the US and Canada where they run the blck tubing over the garage roof for heat..
Here, you would scald yourself..

i said befor, I use the 'on demand' propane type for the bathrooms. 2 baths share 1 unit.
For the kitchen I jst bought a propane 5 gal water heater from the RV store in the US . Pieceo'cake

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

Are you sure there is no backup water heater?