Museums in Samana

Rickey

Oct 25, 2011
Been looking for historical and cultural sites to visit in Santa Barbara de Samana'. All that I can find on the web is a maritime shipwreck museum. Are there any others? Museums, history, cultural sites, i.e.

Thanks,

Rick

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
There is a Whale Watching Museum in Samana, which provides a bit of history on the humpbacks and their lives. It is small, and as such I can't seem to find a website for them, but if that's an interest, you might do a bit more searching on the web for that.

Other than that, a trip to Santiago, where the excellent Centro Leon museum, an art and anthropology museum, and the Folklore Museum are both located.

frank617

Jan 12, 2009
There's a new museum about 15 minutes from Samana right on the main road between Samana and Sanchez. Taino Park, for 500RD, offers an approx. 45 minutes self-guided tour of their compound. There are approx. two dozens scenes with life-size wax figures depicting the Taino daily life prior and immediately following the arrival of Columbus. The self-guided tour is available in either English, French or Spanish. In my opinion, the narrative was well done and balanced. We visited Taino Park three weeks ago and my wife felt it was one of the highlights of our vacation. TAINO PARK :::: SAMANA, REP. DOM. :::: APERTURA OCTUBRE 2011 ::::

Rickey

Oct 25, 2011
Thanks for the replys.

Mb2,
We were at the Centro Leon Museo in Feb '04. I think it had just opened. What a nice place! We were very impressed and happy that our taxi/tour guide took us there. Fantastic experience. We went to the anthopology museum and exhibits and to the cigar factory re-enactment building. Wonderful place!
It wasnt on our agenda (because we were completely unaware of its existence) but the driver said that he was taking us to Santiago and to the museo. We just went allong with his pans/recommendations. His name was Joselito and he was driving for Silva Taxi. We had scheduled with them to provide a taxi for an all day private taxi excursion. We were staying in Cabarete for our first time in the DR. We were getting comfortable with the place and decided to take a mini tour on our own to the mountains. When Joselito arrived at our hotel in the morning, he tossed out our agenda and said that he had an agenda of great places to take us too. Man was he good. Very professional, completely competent, wise and hospitable. We could tell that he was acting in our best interest right from the start. That guy made our week. We will never forget it. He took us to an old Catholic church in Mosca, to a scenic overlook at a pass in the mountains, to the Monument to the Heros, to the Centro Leon and too his friend's restaurant in central Santiago for lunch. The bandera dominicana meal was great! Fantastic experience from begining to end.

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
Wow, sounds like you hit all the spots in Santiago, your report makes me wish I was there right now! I have not heard of the Taino Museum before, but the website sure looks great, as does Frank617's report on it, so I will definitely be adding that to my list of things to do my next trip up that way!

Aug 19, 2004
That was a good trip - Joselito is the man!

Main sites are mentioned above. In addition you could also make a detour into Sanchez. This was the terminus of the Santiago-Sanchez railway Sadly you are too late to see many of the orginal railway buildings and engines as these were all cleared about 10 years ago. The town does though have some interesting architecture - see pcitures here.

Sanchez DR - a set on Flickr