Need help in choosing an area

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
My husband and I are new to this forum, although we have been sitting back enjoying and collecting many pieces of information from all of you, most of which has been very interesting and educational. We have been to the DR several times over the years mostly to Puerto Plata on a typical all inclusive resort for 1 week only. It has always been our intention to spend more time in the DR and now that time has come. We are planning to come first for a vist for a couple of weeks within the next few months with the intention of looking for a one bedroom apartment to rent. We thought we would start off with a 3 month term and then 6 months etcetera, thats if I can stand it long enough to be away from our children and all our grandbabies of which there are 9. He has absolutely no problem at all. The one thing we totally agree on is that we are sooooooooooo tired of the freezing snowy days and nights and have had enough. Having said that, we will be renting a vehicle when we come down and start looking around at areas that you suggest.

Our needs are as follows;

1 bedroom apartment rental around 400 to 600 dollars per month in nicer area and hopefully within at least walking distance to the beach.

walking distance to supermarkets, pharmacy, bank, that kind of thing

medical clinics or hospital not too far away

We will have a budget of between 1500 -2000 dollars per month for everything

Would be nice to have other expats to be near to as well, but also want to blend in with dominican people

Look forward to any help you can give us.

Much thanks
Young Senior Linda
:)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is wise that you are renting in the manner you suggest. If you want walking distance to amenities then you are either in towards the center of Cabarete or in the main section of Sosua. If you have a car as you mentioned, you would be able to be further away and have more options. Walking distance to the beach also is more expensive than an easy driving distance. Try several locations and see what you like best.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I agree 100% with what Windeguy says. That's good advice. but for seniors, i would reccommend Cabarete over Sosua simply becuase the nightlife in Cabarete is more conducive to families and we get a lot of families sitting on the beach in the evenings eating dinner. The nightlife--which includes vampires and werewolves don't really start until after midnight. After midnight, you really need to find your red slipper, garlic, crucifix, and head back to Kansas and lock the doors.:classic:

Caberete all the way. And yes, i've lived in both places...for the last 6 years.

Frank

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
My wife and I were in the same situation a few years ago. We did the inclusive circuit from Punta Cana to Puerta Plata. We now live on the Samana Peninsula in Las Terrenas. I would suggest, since you have a vehicle to drive up to Las Terrenas and check out the area. I think you will be sold. We have some of the nicest beaches in the whole country, an international flavor of French, Italian, German, Canadian and Americans along with a large business district of Dominicans. If you decide to check out the area send me a private message with any questions you may have.

Steve

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Las Terrenas is the spot

Hi:
My wife and I were in the same situation a few years ago. We did the inclusive circuit from Punta Cana to Puerta Plata. We now live on the Samana Peninsula in Las Terrenas. I would suggest, since you have a vehicle to drive up to Las Terrenas and check out the area. I think you will be sold. We have some of the nicest beaches in the whole country, an international flavor of French, Italian, German, Canadian and Americans along with a large business district of Dominicans. If you decide to check out the area send me a private message with any questions you may have.

Steve

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Welcome,don't forget about the "South Coast".
"Juan Dolio",and "Bayahibe" come to my mind.
They are both very walkable,on "the beach",and close enough to get to Santo Domingo in an hour or so.Santo Domingo has the best hospitals in the DR,with many US board certified,English speaking doctors,and state-of-the-art equipment.
Beware,renting a car here is EXPENSIVE.Many rental agencies will try to charge you for "damages" when you return the car.It can also be intimidating for "foreign" drivers here.The roads are not in good repair,and Dominicans use only the "Gas Peddle",and "Horn",never the brakes.
"DR1ers" can recommend a car with a responsible driver, that might be a better choice for you.He will know the roads,directions,and "Road Warrior Culture" here.
I think your proposed budget will be enough.You won't be the "King & Queen",but neither will you be "The Paupers".You might consider a local medical insurance policy for both of you.Should cost about $250.00 per year,per person.The policies her don't cover long term illnesses,but doctor's visits,lab work,most surgeries,especially emergencies,and associated hospitalization.
"Good Hunting"!
Cris Colon
CC

Sohrab

Oct 1, 2010
Steve,
Are you able to find and buy fresh food (produce and milk) in Las Terrenas?

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
don't totally write off the East Coast / Punta Cana / Bavaro. Most of the long time DR1ers will suggest North Coast or South/ S.D. area which are all nice ... but P.C. is coming along nicely and I think when the new highway is finished there will be even more improvements.

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
don't totally write off the East Coast / Punta Cana / Bavaro. Most of the long time DR1ers will suggest North Coast or South/ S.D. area which are all nice ... but P.C. is coming along nicely and I think when the new highway is finished there will be even more improvements.

yes, heard about a new highway, have to look into that more, and we are also looking in the bavaro area. thanks captnglenn, appreciate it.

Shrednbetty

Nov 21, 2011
Hi Chris
Can you please tell me more about the local medical insurance policy that you are talking about here?

Thanks
Wendy

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

Las Terrenas is a town of about 12,000 people. Yes, there are about 20 produce stands in addition to a mid size full service supermarket. There is a large Dominican business and commercial area spread out over 1/2 mile or more. You can find any products and services that you will require. In addition because of the large population of Europeans here you will find things here that you probably won't find in other areas of the DR.

S

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Medical insurance is readily available here in the DR.Cost vary,but a general policy is about 500 to 1,000 US a year,per person.A lot depends on what coverage you want,and if "Drugs" are included.If you have "Home Country" insurance,and you are just visiting here,you can,in most cases,be reimbursed for treatment/hospitalization.You must call your insurance company when you recieve care,don't wait to return "home"!
CC