Friend leaving the US

adios amigo

Feb 7, 2012
Hey everyone. I have a friend who is leaving the US, fearing the crash of the dollar, and a coming Police State. He's been to DR several times, has a Dominican Girlfriend
and two children with her. Are there things you could tell me that he may not have
thought of in terms of unexpected difficulties? Thanks.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Hey everyone. I have a friend who is leaving the US, fearing the crash of the dollar, and a coming Police State. He's been to DR several times, has a Dominican Girlfriend
and two children with her. Are there things you could tell me that he may not have
thought of in terms of unexpected difficulties? Thanks.

If the dollar crashes, the Dominican peso will go down with it.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The Dominican Republic is Already a "Police State",A "Corrupt Police State"!
Did he need your help with the girlfriend and two children here,or did he handle that OK on his own?
How to earn a living might be a small concern?????
Where to live.
A "DNA" test for the children.
In the DR it's easy to have some "Help" with fathering kids!
Especially when the "Cats Away".
Cris Colon

Last edited:

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
"THE SKY IS FALLING .... THE SKY IS FALLING !!!!!" ok... yea, I know that's not much help... but "leaving the US, fearing the crash of the dollar, and a coming Police State." ????? REALLY???? SERIOUSLY?????

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
no comment...

when is the ambulance arriving to take him to the lunatics asylum?????

vikterincredible

Feb 8, 2012
I have thought about this for a long time, and I have come to the same conclusion as your "friend". I have spoken to the family I have there. Booked a flight for May, will be checking it out.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
When the U.S. sneezes, the rest of the world catches pneumonia.

I'd encourage your friend to consider living in another country because:

- he wants a new and different life experience,
- wants to learn a new language,
- enjoys the weather,
- finds it more affordable,
- wants to fully immerse in another culture,
- needs some beach/mountain/desert/whatever-climate-moves-him time,
- is looking for a way to improve or jump-start his career,
- wants to do some charitable/spiritually fulfilling work
- enjoys whatever "attractions" the country of choice provides :bunny::bunny::bunny:

What I would NOT do, is leave because I think the U.S. is falling into a poverty-ridden Stalinist state. I mean, come on, now. I may dislike what we do sometimes, and want to try other things and experiences, and I'm certainly looking forward to sampling life in another country for a bit, but I'll never turn my back on my country. Ever.

adios amigo

Feb 7, 2012
If you've ever had a friend, you'd know this is one thing friends do for one another; look out for each other. From your response though, it's clear you skipped your last anger management class. relax dude. no one's giving points for being rude.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
I have thought about this for a long time, and I have come to the same conclusion as your "friend". I have spoken to the family I have there. Booked a flight for May, will be checking it out.

So, G. Bush Jr. won, liberals huffed and puffed about moving to Canada (didn't really follow through). In the wake of a probable Obama re-election this year, conservatives are plotting their escape to the DR? Interesting.

Quick, somebody snap this up as a marketing pitch to capitalize on all those disgruntled Ron Paul followers and neo-cons to fill up those vacant beachfront high-rise construction projects.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
not helpful, not kind
The truth hurts sometimes. It's just most likely that your "friend" is in way over his head.

Are there things you could tell me that he may not have
thought of
in terms of unexpected difficulties? Thanks.

You haven't given specific information for people to give advice about. But based on what is there, ok, here's "kind" and "helpful":

-Unprotected sexual relations between two fertile human beings of the opposite sex can result in pregnancy (in case having a third child with his Dominican gf isn't on his immediate future agenda).

-He can get some cheap Haitian labor to build a nice bunker in his back yard to store all of his gold and pay a "guachiman" to guard over it (assuming that's where his money is invested).

-Many psychoactive drugs are available over-the-counter and at reasonable prices (paranoia is a common symptom of many illnesses in the DSM).