Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default is sending a barrel worth the moolah??

I managed to get a barrel for free, the standard blue one for shipping...people I know in the biz.. but to ship will be about 115 bucks.. I have been to the DR many times and it seems nothing is ever on sale... well not like here, the staples I mean, like oil, rice, sauce, sugar,detergent, etc etc...I intended using the barrel to ship over all the shoes, bats and mitts I have stored, but wondered if, with the prices being so high , it might be better to ship rice and oil which are always on sale here at western beef, Cosco and the like.... ..any thoughts? I spend a little fortune feeding the families I know there because I buy from Jumbo and Ole and they are never the " rompeprecios" they always claim to be...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I am getting the wrong end of the stick on this. Am I right in thinking you intend to ship into the country, rice, sugar, sauce, detergent etc etc? If so what are you paying when in the country?

Post Thanks / Like

That's a lot of oil, rice, sauce, and detergent to make up the DIFFERENCE on the price on products like this.

B in Santiago

4. Likes Criss Colon liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

It is very difficult to shop economically from one or two stores/supermarkets. It is also very difficult to get to grips with the best way to shop economically unless you are around for an extended period of time.
    The balance between supermarket, butcher, street veg vendor and colmado is an art that takes sometime through trial and error to absorb and put into practice. In my opinion it is very much cheaper to buy food in DR, and everything you mention is available cheaply and in abundance, accepting it does take slightly more effort to gather.

6. Likes Criss Colon, belmont, badpiece33, PJT liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

You can buy rice and oil and beans from the outdoor markets (loshospedajes y la placita) in santiago, or even from surtidora for much less than in the super. i'm sure the people you visit know this, i can't imagine people without bathrooms shopping at jumbo (who knows, i could be wrong... but when my inlaws - also latrine users - come to visit, it's off to la placita we go...)
    i sent a barrel for $120 and that included the barrel. so, $115 without the barrel seems a little high even.
    You would have to fill up the whole thing with excellently priced goods in order for it to be worth it - the price differential is not so big that it's worth it IMO. Also, most dominicans are particular about their rice - so you might buythe wrong stuff and it would go to waste anyway. a few years ago taiwan donated tons (literally) of rice and the gov't gave it away in their baskets. i ended up with 40 pounds of it because nobody else wanted it, they said it was too wet and just "not right."

8. Likes Criss Colon, amstellite liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Fill it up to the rind with very cheap baby clothes. I`ll bet you will get a tiny profit.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus_Rattus View Post
    Fill it up to the rind with very cheap baby clothes. I`ll bet you will get a tiny profit.
    I second this...your more likely to find a buyer for clothes than food as you can try contacting a local retail store to take all the clothes off your hands.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I ship boxes from Boston all the time.
    Most of the "stuff" I get there for free,or VERY cheap.BUT,what you ship must be of high value here,or,unavailable.I ship used clothes,and lots of school supplies,VERY expensive here.I have sent high quality "Pots & Pans",slightly used.I ship "canned Hams"cheap there,expensive here,"SPAM" is cheap there,not here.I ship,"Toiletries" bought on sale there,expensive here."Mouthwash" costs a lot here. Since the "weight" is not important you can ship "Heavy Stuff" without worrying.I have also sent flat screen moniters,and a new "PC" as well.Cordless telephones,radios,etc. NEVER paid any "Duty".
    I love it!
    Cris Colon
    "SHIP Ahoy"!

12. Likes Frank the Tank, badpiece33, PJT liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

We ship using tanques and boxes all the time - right now we have 7 boxes and a portable dishwasher waiting for us [flying down on Sunday].

I've never used them to ship food. Inside ours are things like pots/pans, kitchen items, a flatscreen tv, a tower fan, a windmill, a propane on-demand water heater, etc. We fill in 'gaps' with clothing. With each shipment, the company we use allows us to send [outside the box] cooking oil and rice, for no extra charge. I buy a giant 3 gallon jug-in-a-box of oil, and 20 pound bag of rice each time.

Think "small heavy things". No weight limit.

In decades of doing this, we've never had one thing taken, and never paid a cent of duty. We have had one or two things broken, probably our packing fault.

In your case, I'd recommend sending the baseball equipment. You can fill the empty spaces with food if there's room, but to send just food will probably cost more than buying it there. Now, I do know some people rather send food than money, because they know the food will be eaten,but the money might buy rum or lottery tickets......

Just be careful, you're obviously a guy with a big heart, don't let yourself be taken advantage of again. If you haven't found a home for the baseball stuff, we know a field in San Cristobal.

Administrator
    DR1.com

14. Likes Criss Colon, fidget liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

"Alter",Great Post!
    It's nice to see that some posters "Get It",about "Things" in the DR,and without the ever present "AGENDA" that so many have.
    Welcome "HOME"!
    CC

16. Likes Frank the Tank, Africaida liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast