Car rental accident

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Has anybody unfortunately been involved in a car accident while driving a rental in the DR? if so,how has the procedure been,(Credit car insurance or insurance thru the renting company)What's the insurance that one MUST get while renting over there?

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
I have heard of guys that had their passports confiscated and couldnt leave the country. Others had full protection from their American Express credit card vendor. Some got short changed by the car rentals and others negociated on a mutual rate. What im trying to say is it pretty much depends on how you handle the situation.

Driftwood

Feb 7, 2012
There is a specific cover that will keep him out of jail should he have a bad accident, I think this is more important than any excess that may be recovered from his credit card. All reputable agents should offer high cover with low excess for a high price. I would not be surprised if good, comprehensive low excess insurance was equal to the cost of the car itself.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Has anybody unfortunately been involved in a car accident while driving a rental in the DR? if so,how has the procedure been,(Credit car insurance or insurance thru the renting company)What's the insurance that one MUST get while renting over there?

I've had a few accidents with rental cars. PM me and I'll help you out.

Been there done that.

1. Never ever leave your passport with a rental company
2. Always rent from a larger well known company And use a credit card that covers accidents Visa and Amex do cover you and Mastercard has cancelled their auto rental coverage.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Been there done that.

2. Always rent from a larger well known company And use a credit card that covers accidents Visa and Amex do cover you and Mastercard has cancelled their auto rental coverage.

What badpiece33 said!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Been there done that.

When did this happen?

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
for amex to cover you outside of the U.S., you need to enroll in a special program. I forget the cost, but it's pretty cheap. Just call the number on the back of your card and they'll be able to give you the details.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Over the years,most of the posts about renting a car in the DR have been about negative experiences.That is due to the fact that,if you have a great experience,you don't post!
"Man Bites Dog",and all that.
But there have been more than a few 'HORROR' stories posted here. :eek::cry::cry:
Due to the fact that renting here is expensive,and in the DR,"The Customer Is Always WRONG",you might look for a "Car & Driver",depending on your needs.
How long will you be in the DR?
What distances will you be driving?
Will you be traveling at night?(Not a great idea even with a driver)
Are you comfortable driving in a counrty where there are a lot of driving regulation,BUT NONE ARE FOLLOWED?
DR1ers can alway recomend a good car & driver,just ask.
"Happy Motoring"
Cris Colon

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Thanks all for the replies.Criss,I will be down there for three weeks.As far distances,from SD to Punta Cana,Santiago,SD to Las Matas de Farfan,with stops in between on the way there in Azua and Barahona.Is it possible to negotiate the same way it's usually done with real estate(apartments)????If I rented a car with Dominican papers,would it be cheaper?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
"Only once did I rent a car from a 'local' company.

When thy came to retrieve the car, the man had a pistol brazenly sticking out of his waistband.
Luckily, I had enough money nd no damage to the car. That would be 'Cash Money"no credito aqui:-((

Free as a bird , once again...

"He who fights and runs away, shall live to fight another day"
Name that tune/movie

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
I was going through my mastercard list of benefits,and they say they would cover rental car damage up to 50.000$ USD,but in order for them to do that,I have to wave the coalition damage from the rental company.I just don't want to get stuck with bunch of paperwork.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I was going through my mastercard list of benefits,and they say they would cover rental car damage up to 50.000$ USD,but in order for them to do that,I have to wave the coalition damage from the rental company.I just don't want to get stuck with bunch of paperwork.
That is correct. You have to decline the CDW on the rental form but you MUST accept and pay for third party liability. It is also a good idea to take the additional tire/windshield protection although that is optional.

You can contact MasterCard, not the issuing bank, and they will email you the CDW rental agreement document.

In the event of an accident one of two things will happen. The car rental company may charge your CC up to $1,000 and you will have to deal with MasterCard to get your money back, or the car rental company will deal directly with MasterCard and wait for their payment. Either way you must get a police report in the event of an accident.

Also their is a $1,000 hold put on your CC at the time of rental.

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
Been there done that.

I am paranoid about liabilities; specially in Sto Dgo.
Besides paying with a Credit card, I always buy the comprehensive (full coverage) insurance they sell. It even includes "Casa del conductor". This is supposed to keep you out of jail in case of an unforeseen accident.

By the way, once you show a valid US driver's license, no further documentation is required.

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009

Full coverage insurance isn't that much... around 18 bucks a day, if I recall correctly.
The beauty of it is that when you return the car they don't give you any hassle.

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
You have to make sure that their rental contract allows you to use your cc coverage. Also, some vehicles like pickups are not covered. Never leave your passport as a deposit. If you have an accident snap a bunch of pics and file a police report. I know of a few honest rent a car places en el Cibao, PM me if you need one. They will pick you up at any airport that you land.

Also, make sure do the walk around with them and make sure that the scratches and dents are noted before you drive off.

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
You have to make sure that their rental contract allows you to use your cc coverage. Also, some vehicles like pickups are not covered. Never leave your passport as a deposit. If you have an accident snap a bunch of pics and file a police report. I know of a few honest rent a car places en el Cibao, PM me if you need one. They will pick you up at any airport that you land.

Also, make sure do the walk around with them and make sure that the scratches and dents are noted before you drive off.

Because of the "make sure of this" and "make sure of that " is why I buy their insurance.
I don't have to worry about scratches, windshield, dents, etc. nothing at all... If the car get stolen or if you total it, all you need is a police report... and away you go!

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
Because of the "make sure of this" and "make sure of that " is why I buy their insurance.
I don't have to worry about scratches, windshield, dents, etc. nothing at all... If the car get stolen or if you total it, all you need is a police report... and away you go!

I hardly know anyone that buys the rent a car insurance because of the extra cost and deductable. But its better to be safe if you do not have cc coverage. The cc coverage works fine if you follow the rules.

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
A friend rented from one of the big chains and when he arrived in DR they told him that they ran out of vehicles... WTF??? That does not happen at smaller places where the owner is an active involved owner.