New to Juan Dolio and Looking for Insights

arwilliams1968

Feb 8, 2012
Greetings!

I am brand new to this site. I am a single father in my 40s and planning to move from Boston to Juan Dolio with my 8 year old son over the summer. It would be extremely helpful for me to gain some insight regarding how to go about finding quality domestic help and thoughts and experiences about the international school in Juan Dolio (Villas del Mar).

Specifically I am wondering:

1) What is the best way to go about finding a childcare provider and a housekeeper/cook?
2) What is the best way to check references for domestic help?
3) How much should I expect to pay (monthly) for a part-time childcare provider who speaks English and can occasionally work overnight?
4) How much should I expect to pay (monthly) for a housekeeper/cook (assuming 4 hour a day, 6 days a week)
5) What are some general perspectives regarding the Villas del Mar school in Juan Dolio - particularly for elementary school?

Thanks for your help! We are very excited about our pending move!

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
I am living in Juan Dolio now and agree with Mitilda reply in your intro. thread.

1.English Domestic help very difficult to find, but their is some good spanish speaking Dominican help available.
2. Check if the school religious orienatation is to your liking

You should rent first and get a feeling of Juan Dolio before buying

Xtraveller

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Skill / requirements of housekeeper / cook will determine wages. Best to start on an ad-hoc basis - about 100 pesos plus an hour. Cooking US style may not be a skill everyone has - DR cusine is different. Try and get 100 basic Spanish words to communicate such as common foods, household materials etc. Lots of options to purchase property in/near Juan Dolio. International schools generally have small classes and lots of individual attention by talented teachers but a visit is in order.