Dominican American Living in America..... Educating your-self about your history.

MarxMakaveli

Feb 8, 2012
How do i educate my self the right way about our history. I was born and raised in america, i was never really taught about dominican history or the accomplishments of my people, their struggle, and how we came about. Of course i know some basics on how we came about for example slaves from africa being brought to Hispanola and from there the spaniards mating with the slaves or something like that. But i really don't know much i want to learn about important historical figures who made a change what were their contributions. Who were the Malcolm X's, MLK's, and Huey P. Newton of DR. what are good books in english explaining our history.

Racism in DR, and why do people seem to hate Haitians or Africans.

why are people suffering from poverty over there?

who are some dominican philosophers?

and what is your take on Dominican-Americans like myself in America.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Read the Dominican history books by Frank Moya Pons. Dominicans come from many backgrounds besides Spanish and black Africans. Books/Articles about the DR written by American blacks have a black American bias and perspective that doesn't accurately reflect the Dominican experience.
Use the search function on this site. All the questions you are asking have been asked before and there are many discussions that will educate you.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
National heroes include JP Duarte, Las Hermanas Mirabal, Francisco Caama?o (rebel leader), Mam? Ting? (campesina leader).

As well as Moya Pons I recommend "Why the Cocks Fight" by Michele Wucker, especially for the DR-Haiti dynamic.
Dead Man in Paradise by JP MacKinnon is a particularly good book about the DR.
Books by Julia Alvarez generally, especially In the Time of the Butterflies (fictionalised account of the Mirabal Sisters)
La fiesta del chivo/Feast of the Goat by M Vargas Llosa (fictionalised account of the fall of Trujillo).