Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default In defence of the good ones

This is only for those people who seem to find nothing but negative words for this place.

Hello, I am a Dominican from a family of Dominicans who can trace their Dominicanness back 7 generations. I am one of the good ones, and I am not alone.

I am not a sanky.
    I don't bother people for money.
    I am 25 and I'm not a gang memeber.
    I don't deal drugs.
    I have never murdered anyone.
    Yes, I have probably broken hearts, but have had my heart broken as well.
    I don't blast the music in my car when I'm in residential zones at night.
    I am on time for appointments.
    I have informed opinions on world affairs, the economy, as well as the manifestos and policies of political candidates.
    I am not a cheater, and I don't have more than one girlfriend.
    I do not condone prostitution or sex tourism.
    I have never swindled a tourist.
    I am not out to marry someone for a passport.
    I am not an "hijo de papi y mami"
    I am not a "chopo"

I am a Dominican, and I'm not the only one.

You will find all sorts of people on this island, you will find as5holes, and bitch€s, and "interesados". I am not one of them. There are many people like me, more than this website would imply. There are educated Dominicans who care about their country, who are polite, who are aware of other people around them. And, of course there are those who don't, but the point I want to make is that WE, DOMINICANS, ARE NOT ALL THE CRAP OF THE EARTH THAT IS DESCRIBED ON HERE SO OFTEN.

This is a message to those proud, tired, whiny expats on here, PLEASE stop bringing your first world problems to my third world country. I am as tired of you and have as much contempt for your comments as you seem to have for the soil you're on.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Good Afternoon, Well said and needed to be said.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Bravo Prospero, thanks you. You represent the majority of the Dominicans that I know too.

At the risk of sounding a lot like AZB, many of the posters here are only acquainted with the dregs of Dominican society. We can't deny that they exist, but a more balanced approach to Dominicans in general is lacking on DR1 most days.

Let's face facts: me writing about my positive experiences with Dominicans over the past 36 years is very boring, and in comparison to a juicy sanky thread there would be no contest.

Admin
    DR1.com

4. Likes Chip, Frank the Tank, jrjrth liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by prospero View Post
    This is only for those people who seem to find nothing but negative words for this place.

Hello, I am a Dominican from a family of Dominicans who can trace their Dominicanness back 7 generations. I am one of the good ones, and I am not alone.

I am not a sanky.
    I don't deal drugs.
    I have informed opinions on world affairs, the economy, as well as the manifestos and policies of political candidates.
    I am not a "chopo"

You will find all sorts of people on this island, you will find as5holes, and bitch€s, and "interesados". I am not one of them. There are many people like me, more than this website would imply. There are educated Dominicans who care about their country, who are polite, who are aware of other people around them. And, of course there are those who don't, but the point I want to make is that WE, DOMINICANS, ARE NOT ALL THE CRAP OF THE EARTH THAT IS DESCRIBED ON HERE SO OFTEN.

This is a message to those proud, tired, whiny expats on here, PLEASE stop bringing your first world problems to my third world country. I am as tired of you and have as much contempt for your comments as you seem to have for the soil you're on.
    Great to see that there are "good" Dominicans out there. You are not alone, I myself know plenty of Dominicans just like you.

I consider myself a "good" Dominican as well.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lisagauss View Post
    Great to see that there are "good" Dominicans out there. You are not alone, I myself know plenty of Dominicans just like you.

I consider myself a "good" Dominican as well.
    Me too, i just do not post that much, put in the list as a good Dominican.

Post Thanks / Like

Could almost have been written by my husband, apart from the "25" bit

8. Likes mountainannie liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I have said this before, but I will say it again. For the most part I have had only very positive experiences with the Dominicans, privately and in business.

I got screwed twice, both times by expats. Expat friends here (the good kind) have had similar experiences.

I think you get what you bargain for. Treat the local people with respect, and you will earn respect.

Disclaimer: the above statements do not include ladrones like Edenorte, Claro, etc...

10. Likes drstock, Britcouple liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, there are a lot of good people here in the DR, like anywhere.

Surprisingly to some on this board I even know of a few engineers at the university with me that are married and/or have a girlfriend and don't cheat on them. Also, my Dominican wife's family are poor by Western standards yet they are as good as any people I have ever known and certainly aren't involved in drugs, prostitution, sank panky and shady businesses that most foreigners on this site would claim.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by prospero View Post

I am not a sanky.
    I don't deal drugs.
    I am not a "chopo"

Just to be Sarcastic, you must been from Ohio.

13. Likes Joe2DR liked this post
    Dislikes N/A disliked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I <3 you because you have better grammar than most Americans I know!!! You have already stolen my heart with that. Generally, I don't generalize (ha ha) ANYONE based on race, religion, or interests. I have found that the world is full of a lot of flavors and depending on who those ingredients are cooked by, they can be really yummy or really disgusting (Was that a good analogy? I'm not sure). I applaud you for having the balls to come on here and confront the board and for standing up for your people. I have had the time of my life here. I have met everything that you mentioned in the States just as well as here. No place is immune from stupidity. That being said, no place is immune from ignorant people who will generalize. Just know that there are some people, like me, that are open minded enough to realize that
    Last edited by SocialZealot; 02-09-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast