Bilingual schools

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Just out of curiosity,wanted to know,how do they go about teaching spanish to children that come from other countries into the DR bilingual schools.Is it a hard core curriculum,half spanish half english perhaps?or just like one class per day? Someone before mentioned here that schools like Carol Morgan(not that I can afford that anyways)are not true bilingual schools.I was looking maybe at New Horizons or St.George in SD.Any first hand experience or rumors feel free to post.Thanks in advance.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Children, especially at primary level, will pick up the language in the first few months by immersion, supported by after school tutoring that you may have to pay for yourself.

All international/bilingual schools have to teach core subjects in Spanish, following the requisites of the Dominican Education Ministry. As a minimum these will include Lengua Espa?ola, Moral y C?vica/Religi?n (depending on the school), sometimes also Sociales, Ciencias de la Naturaleza, Matem?ticas. Sports, Art, Music will often be taught in Spanish too.

Some bilingual/international schools have a 50-50 curriculum, others have mainly English with the mandatory subjects in Spanish.

Other schools worth looking at in the upper/middle range are Community for Learning, Ashton, St Michael, St Joseph, Dominico-Americano, International School, St Thomas.

J Espanol

Feb 28, 2011
You can look into MC School all classes are in english, except those required by the government. It is a very good school.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
It is exactly like Chiri wrote, the kids pick up Spanish very quickly, My kids came from Germany and today they are better in Spanish as in German