thoughts on gated communities, bars on windows etc.

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
While continuing to search for an apartment to rent for a few months, at times I come across rentals with bars on windows and doors. I just can`t seem to feel comfortable in this type of place. :nervous: Thoughts

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
If, like me, you wake up one morning to discover that a burglar has been in your bedroom and taken items from your night table and drawers, you wouldn't feel comfortable without them.

Driftwood

Feb 7, 2012
It is unusual not to have iron security bars.
As far as gated communities go, I'd never buy in on or rent long term in one. Surrounded by narrow minded people (you probably won't know what they are like for a few months) with their own idea of community politics can make life hell (remember most people who live in a gated community are likely to be doing so as they are worried to such an extent of what is outside, and you have to question the minds of people who would voluntarily move into a situation where they feel like that), obviously with exceptions. If you live in a nice area then there is no need for a gated community, neighbours can look out for each other. If you live in a touristy or high crime area then obviously there is more need. In the cities most properties have some private security around, at least at night. Security is great, gated community means living/sharing with strangers, and that is never going to work as well as being king of your own castle.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I'm not sure I agree with Driftwood's assessment of those of us who own in gated communities, but then I'm probably narrow minded or something.

However, one thing I get a kick out of is the hoopla about how important it is to live in a gated community. Several gated communities of which I am aware have a stout looking entry gate manned by often wide awake security guards. Yet just down the road or around the corner the community is only surrounded by a barbed wire fence a 3 year old (Dominican) could get through. Security? Doubtful.

That said, I have a ranch in which I did not have security bars for awhile and, lo and behold, I was robbed. I put the bars up and have for many years lived there comfortably. You get used to it. It's much like the US with the "Armed Security" or "ADT Security" type signs in the walk way. It just makes the crooks think twice and that's usually all you need to send them on their way.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
While continuing to search for an apartment to rent for a few months, at times I come across rentals with bars on windows and doors. I just can`t seem to feel comfortable in this type of place. :nervous: Thoughts

At Times? Where is it you have been looking to live? You are in a 3rd world country. From what I've seen in the DR, unless you are wealthy and live in an exclusive community which pays for security very secure barred windows and doors are a necessity. Even the nice areas with fences etc. probably have bars on the windows up to 3 stories. Otherwise I wouldn't want to live there. There are probably barred doors even on the upper level of many places. If you are a Gringo you will always be a target. If you live in the Campo these items aren't neccesary. In our Campo my father in law informed me these problems don't exist. If a problem does arise it is taken care of. Whether those problems just disappear or are told to disappear I didn't ask. Just nodded with approval. The Campos are the best places to live. Great people, no stress and totally beautiful. The drawback is not being to readily access many things you are used to, especially healthcare. The little I really know is you may want to get a lot better handle on what you are getting into.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Ok so bars on windows are kind of necessary... Especially if you live in a "tourist" area. What if my house doesnt have bars on windows and bars. Are they easy to install? :)

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Ok so bars on windows are kind of necessary... Especially if you live in a "tourist" area. What if my house doesnt have bars on windows and bars. Are they easy to install? :)

Couple dogs and shotguns are easier!!

Driftwood

Feb 7, 2012
I'm not sure I agree with Driftwood's assessment of those of us who own in gated communities, but then I'm probably narrow minded or something.

My point was not that ALL people in a gated community are narrow minded. My point is that you have no control over who you have to share certain aspects of living or space with (your environment), and some have a very different idea to yourself, I also mentioned with exceptions. If I made this difficult to understand then I apologize, no offense intended.

As for installing security doors. They are built to fit and welded into position at the location so you need space to build them,equipment and knowledge of how best to build for different and more secure finishes. For the cost it is worth getting a local guy to install them.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
happened to me just as you stated, woke up in the morning and my laptop, pants with wallet, etc was missing, just inches from where I was sleeping. They came in over a 2nd floor balcony and I had left the door cracked open for the breeze - my bad. It won't happen again - bars = security

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
In as much as barred windows are an absolute nessecesity in most all home and or apartments, most all installations are flawed inadaquate and provide a very false sense of security unless properly installed.

The major weakness in the installations, the fixation is usually inadaquate, with the perimeter pins only penetrating an inch or two into the mezcla, they are easly popped out with very little effort or noise:

#1 - your local guy installar usually drills down only about 2" which is only anchoring into the mecxla used to finish in the window, he must be told to drill the anchor points adsolutly no less than 8 cm deep 12 cm even better into the block, which have should be filled with concrete during construction.

#2 - Anchor points to be inline with vertical or horzintal bars when possible with an over lap of min. 5 - 8 cm and fully welded each end or all around. Where not in line with other bar and only crossing one bar, fully welded all around.

#3 - Depending on window width and height, the more anchors the better or at minimum every 60 - 70cm.

#4 - 5/8" square bare is much stronger and worth the additional material cost.

#5 - Perimeter gap to be minimum and not more than 4 mm ever, 2 - 3 mm good.

#6 - Interior installation is almost always more secure but not always practical asesteticly.

#7 - Supervise your local guy very closely during installation or you will not get the best results.

g'luck

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
You get used to it. At the beginning it feels a bit weird but after a while you don't even notice they're there. I've almost always lived in houses and apartments with bars on the windows and sometimes the door and have never (knock on wood) have had my place broken into. Then again, the 75 pound Rottie and 5 and 7 pound chi alarm probably help too lol

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
No bars on windows in Punta Cana Village - not yet anyway. But if I lived on the ground floor I wouldn't feel safe without them, not even here.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Our house in in the campo, and it has "decorative wrought iron" over the windows. :)

Front door is wood, but there is a second metal door that closes over it [think of a storm door in the US] with metal bolts inside that we close at night. When we leave it has a large padlock that goes outside. Back door is solid metal.

No matter what you do, if they want to get in they will. My brother-in-law lives in El Millon in SD, beautiful place, bars on windows and balconies. Second floor. Woke up to find even the stuff on his nightstand gone. They cut through the bars on the balcony and squeezed in.

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011

My buddy just purchased a villa in Sea Horse Ranch near Cabarete and it has heavy security and a gated community, which I think he really likes.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Obviously it's "required" to have bars on doors and windows. Then if a house is for sale, and doesnt have bars, is it a good opportunity to negociate? WhatdoUthink?

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
I live in a gated community and do not have bars on our windows and doors. During 10 years here we have not been robbed. Not only is a gated community safer, but there is control over what is around you and, because of that, is a safer investment. A friend of ours purchased a house on the beach and a bar went in 10 feet from their lot line. There is no zoning here and anything could go in next to your house.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Obviously it's "required" to have bars on doors and windows. Then if a house is for sale, and doesnt have bars, is it a good opportunity to negociate? WhatdoUthink?

It is not expensive to get the house secured, not significant enough, for what it costs the owner would simply get it done.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
My house is currently getting the bars put it. I think a combination of many things makes a secure home...

People 24/7 is high on the list. This is not easy to achieve or maintain cause those 24/7 people got to eat and its gonna come out of your pocket. Be it a mother in law or father in law; 24/7 people means more food, electricity, water, you name it.