True or false?

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
I have heard from numerous sources that if you make reservation from within DR with Dominican documents(say like a cedula),resorts are actually cheaper.Any true to this or.......?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, there are times when at least some resorts have a special price for locals, especially in the off season, in order to increase occupancy. And not just hotels. Ocean World has a slightly lower price for locals, the cable car in POP has a lower price, the zoo and botanical garden in SD has a lower price for locals, etc. Good thing, too, or many locals would be unable to afford them.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
I have heard from numerous sources that if you make reservation from within DR with Dominican documents(say like a cedula),resorts are actually cheaper.Any true to this or.......?

Yes very true. Happened several times where we would call from the US and try to setup a 2 night resort stay in PP; they would charge about $100US per person per night. Then we called my father in law and had him set it up and miraculously it would go down to $55US per person per night. Same thing happened on 2 different resorts; one was the Barcelo resort.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
This is true, IF you are Dominican.
In Florida if you show a Florida license the golf is much cheaper, this is nothing new.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I'm gonna work on getting a c?dula in the states side then

It doesn't work that way, you can't get a cedula in the states and it takes a while when in the DR, use the search button. If you are gringo it is what it is. If you are Dominican then fine.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
I'm gonna work on getting a c?dula in the states side then

Im not too sure if you could get a cedula here in the US, you may have to request it down there, and then you can pick it up here in the US. That is what I did. I had to renew my cedula because I had the very old white one plus I had lost it. What I did was get a birth certificate and take it to the JCE. There they took a new picture and told me I had to come back in 3 month because they didn't have any plastic to print it on. I told em I was leaving to NY in a few days, they said you can pick it up in the consul downtown NYC. After waiting 4 months, I went to the consul in 42nd street and picked up my cedula right there.

See if you can find a family member that is a Dominican to book it for you.

Feb 7, 2007
At least in Punta Cana, it is very rare for the Dominican rate to be the same as incoming rate. Now I am talking about European incoming rates, not US/Canadian. North American incoming rates are the highest of all, the cheapest ones are European ones. SOME resorts, especially the lower-end-of-spectrum (3* and 4*) have a cheaper rate for locals SOMETIMES when times are tough in off-season when they are hoovering around 25%-30% occupancy rates. In High season when they are easily doing 85-90% or more, and 5* hotels anytime year-round, forget about it, it's cheaper buying abroad. And it's always cheapest buying through German or Spanish tour operators, e.g. Home - MEIER'S WELTREISEN, Reisen ++ Reisen g?nstig, billig Reisen, g?nstige Reise buchen, Billigreisen | Reisen.de, FTI - Einfach Fair Reisen - Urlaub vom Reiseveranstalter - www.fti.de etc.

So to give an answer to your question - TRUE 5% of times, FALSE 95% of times. And DEPENDS but most likely NO 100% of times.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
One exception is the Lifestyle's Resort special rate ( has been as low as $12 pp/pn). You must have US, Canadian or European passport for rate. I guess Dominicans don't buy timeshares.

Last edited: