Older kids drinking baby bottles

Status
Not open for further replies.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Has anyone else heard of older kids still drinking baby bottles in the DR? I have learned that it is not unheard of for kids as old as 7 still having a bottle before bed time. They still wear pampers to bed too.
Why would this be happening?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have seen some older kids 5-6 years old with bottles but it's hardly the norm. Yris usually has around 30 three years olds in her school and not a single one is in diapers. Any child wearing pampers to bed would probably be a bedwetter. There can be many reasons why a kid wets the bed.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Yes unfortunately, my sister-in law allowed my nephew to have a bottle until he was around 7 and guess what she is a doctor. My nephew is now 12 and overweight. Maybe that could do with the sugar they added to to the bottle. Her and I had some " loud " discussions over this back then. Even though he was not in "pampers" he might as well have been with bottle and all. Do not get me started on the " bobo " he always had in his mouth.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Lazy parents or the fact that many parents don't know how to say "NO' to their kids, a general lack of discipline??? (If not for possible medical reasons that Bob mentions.

Driftwood

Feb 7, 2012
Clueless, lazy parenting is not specific to DR, I have never seen a child of 7 wearing nappies, nor children of this age having a bottle so I doubt it is the norm. I've seen 13 year olds sucking the thumb so much it is deformed, but again, nothing to do with the DR.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Clueless, lazy parenting is not specific to DR, I have never seen a child of 7 wearing nappies, nor children of this age having a bottle so I doubt it is the norm. I've seen 13 year olds sucking the thumb so much it is deformed, but again, nothing to do with the DR.

Nobody that I see is saying its the norm or that this is exclusive to DR, just happens to be a DR forum as I understand it. The OP is going on heresay..and the fact you havent seen it really is meaningless, just saying. I remember a few years back we were sitting with some Dominican friends and observing the neighbours kids, 3 and 4 years old respectively drinking, of all things Fanta from a bottle, and they were quick to make a comment that the parents couldn't be bothered to take the time to teach them to drink from a cup, this translates to laziness IMO.
As for diapers, I understand these are not cheap in DR, so can't imagine the average person there would keep their kids in them for no good reason??

Driftwood

Feb 7, 2012
Nobody that I see is saying its the norm or that this is exclusive to DR, just happens to be a DR forum as I understand it. The OP is going on heresay..and the fact you havent seen it really is meaningless, just saying.

:ermm:Opinion and experience builds a picture (I thought this was the request of the OP), asking users their opinion is the same as asking users experiences. My experience of not seeing this reflects my opinion, as it would had it been 'yes, I see it often'. So stressing that a users opinion is meaningless and then commencing to give your own opinion is a direct contradiction in terms, incoherent hypocritical posting, is it not?.:ermm:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A Dominican woman I know did this. Her daughter was 8 and still drinking from a bottle. My friend's excuse was that she wouldn't eat anything (solid) so it was the only way she could be sure her daughter was not malnourished.

Adding sugar to baby milk, giving babies and small children fizzy drinks and sweetened juice is common too, in my experience and a lot of people don't realise there's anything wrong with it.

The most extreme case I've heard of is the mothers who can't afford formula but don't breastfeed giving newborn babies Sprite or sugar water.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I am quite certain it is not the norm. I was trying to wrap my head around what would be the reason.
Maybe it is cheaper than food? Maybe if they drink a bottle before bed they need a pamper?
I was just interested if others knew of older kids that do this.
So far we have 2 people who know kids who have bottles at an older age. Interesting.
As an added note. It probably is not just a DR thing. I know a woman in my town who breast fed her son up until he was 7 years old. The kid was almost tall enough to stand up to feed. LOL The woman was strange in other ways too.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Has anyone else heard of older kids still drinking baby bottles in the DR? I have learned that it is not unheard of for kids as old as 7 still having a bottle before bed time. They still wear pampers to bed too.
Why would this be happening?

The pamper bit is reaching, but the baby bottles fact it is true, I stopped drinking from a biberon at age 4. I've seen kids stopping at 6 or 7. Then they complain why they have their teeth pulled forward..

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I am quite certain it is not the norm. I was trying to wrap my head around what would be the reason.
Maybe it is cheaper than food?

Kids milk is actually very expensive as are decent brand pampers and so I doubt this would be the reason. I expect it is lack of parenting experience and or guidance for the parents themselves. Training a child is not unlike training a dog. If you allow a dog to feed from your plate it will continue to eat from it whenever it gets the chance to, don't teach a dog to crap outside it will continue to crap inside. They don't know any different unless shown so.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
My wife said she used a bottle until she was 7. My youngest at 4 still uses one and she uses diapers too.

I don't see a problem.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
My wife said she used a bottle until she was 7. My youngest at 4 still uses one and she uses diapers too.

I don't see a problem.
I think kids still sucking on a baby bottle when at school needs addressing, for the kids sakes, unless there is some learning issue. As far as diapers goes, well kids progress at different speeds, ours was out of diapers and taking herself to the bath room not long after her 2nd Bday, she does use one for bedtime, but that is it and is 3 this summer.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I think kids still sucking on a baby bottle when at school needs addressing, for the kids sakes, unless there is some learning issue. As far as diapers goes, well kids progress at different speeds, ours was out of diapers and taking herself to the bath room not long after her 2nd Bday, she does use one for bedtime, but that is it and is 3 this summer.

Why would it need addressing?

Try thinking outside of the box once in a while, ie don't follow the crowd.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
It is not following the crowd chip, it is called child development. As a parent it is my responsibility to help my child progress accordingly through life at a socially acceptable rate, keep up with 'the crowd' so to speak. Allowing my child to fall behind 'the crowd' can lead to indirect and direct issues I would prefer her not to have to encounter, bullying being one of them.
IMO

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It is not following the crowd chip, it is called child development. As a parent it is my responsibility to help my child progress accordingly through life at a socially acceptable rate, keep up with 'the crowd' so to speak. Allowing my child to fall behind 'the crowd' can lead to indirect and direct issues I would prefer her not to have to encounter, bullying being one of them.
IMO

child development according to you, good grief.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
What is that supposed to mean Chip?

I am not telling anyone how to raise their children, or insulting anyone for allowing their kids to fall behind or might be taking longer to progress on things, merely giving my opinion on how 'I' feel about my childs development and what is correct for us. Happy she can toilet herself at 2, is using normal cups to drink from and sitting at the table to have a meal, and using only one diaper per day at bed time (when she does have a bottle to send her off), counts to 10 in English and Spanish etc etc etc. I find our daughter has developed fast and if anything is ahead of her years, which I am happy about. So Child development according to me? YES. We are doing good thanks!

Anyway, this is silly and not a competition of who has the best techniques or most developed kids, it is early years, we all develop at different rates as I originally mentioned, and as parents have different ideas of what is important. Good luck with yours.

And FYI the development of a child is usually referred to as Child development Chip, not surprisingly. I was not making a statement I was stating a fact, a norm!

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
So far already we have a few people who know older kids drinking bottles.
Chip, since your wife is Dominican and had a bottle until the age of seven maybe she can help me understand why.
Keep in mind that I am not judging. This explains why your daughter still has a bottle at the age of 4. You and your wife feel it is OK. Other than because it was OK for your wife as a child why do you feel it necessary for your daughter? Does she drink a bottle in public? Do other family members older kids drink bottles?
Givadang and Chip please don't turn this into a pizzing contest. It can be an interesting and educational thread without the "I gotta be right BS".

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"OK",Chip,Here we go again!
It will rot/deform the teeth and gums.
"Pampers" are expensive,money could be used elsewhere.
REAL REASON,Dominican kids use a bottle,wear pampers,and suck their thumb?????
Because their parents don't teach them not to!
They don't put forth the effort needed to raise a self-reliant person.
YES,it takes both time,effort,and love to raise a child.
Here,the parent just threatens a "PaoPao" if the child doesn't stop doing something that bothers the parent.They don't take the effort needed to actually educate/train a child to do the right thing.
In the DR,if the children are "Not Seen And Not Heard",that's just the way their parents loke it.
"No Es MI Problema"!!!!
At 65,I would really rather just sit in "My Chair",and let my young children,"Self Destruct" around me,BUT,MY MOM,didn't raise me that way.I just "HAVE" to get up,and be a "PARENT",not just a father,that's easy,all that takes is one lucky sperm!
THAT,Dominicans CAN DO!
CC

Status
Not open for further replies.