Police fire on vehicle of Miriam Cruz...

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
And her car was covered with posters of her and her name - which they obviously didn't spot.

Matilda

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Super Troopers

And her car was covered with posters of her and her name - which they obviously didn't spot.

It's just that PICHARDO'S "SUPER TROOPERS" haven't been posted down in Barahona yet:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/government/118815-new-cops-patrol-cities-replace-rotten-apples.html

Let's keep this event in perspective, folks:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/government/118813-amnesty-intl-spain-denounces-police-killings-dr.html

What a huge, not-surprising-at-all embarrassment for the PN, especially those in Barahona. Oh, the stories I could tell.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este

Matilda
No matter who you are, if you are ordered to stop by the authorities in any country you are supposed to comply and stop. No? A check point is exactly that, a place where you get checked. If the vehicle doesn't stop, how is it supposed to be check? Apparently they only stopped after a ~7km chase from the exit of Barahona to the town of Habanero because a tire in their car was popped by a shot. hmmmm....

Notlurking

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No matter who you are, if you are ordered to stop by the authorities in any country you are supposed to comply and stop. No? A check point is exactly that, a place where you get checked. If the vehicle doesn't stop, how is it supposed to be check? Apparently they only stopped after a ~7km chase from the exit of Barahona to the town of Habanero because a tire in their car was popped by a shot. hmmmm....

Notlurking

I agree I think this could have been repeated in almost any country. Running a checkpoint after being ordered to stop is serious business.

It's just that PICHARDO'S "SUPER TROOPERS" haven't been posted down in Barahona yet:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/government/118815-new-cops-patrol-cities-replace-rotten-apples.html

http://www.dr1.com/forums/government/118813-amnesty-intl-spain-denounces-police-killings-dr.html

What a huge, not-surprising-at-all embarrassment for the PN, especially those in Barahona. Oh, the stories I could tell.

Why is it an embarrasment for the PN??? The dummies should have stopped.

latitude19

May 29, 2011
In a country where NOBODY plays fair, stopping for a roadblock can be dangerous. BUT- the article stated that Cruz said she was attacked and had no idea who the assailants were, so most likely there was no roadblock. I would tend to believe Cruz over PN.

I just read another article. It differed in what happened. Nevertheless, police are not playing fair here.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
In a country where NOBODY plays fair, stopping for a roadblock can be dangerous. BUT- the article stated that Cruz said she was attacked and had no idea who the assailants were, so most likely there was no roadblock. I would tend to believe Cruz over PN.

I just read another article. It differed in what happened. Nevertheless, police are not playing fair here.

What did the other article say?

Obviously Cruz was going to present herself in the best possible light, as would anyone else in same situation. But that does not make a possibly self serving statement true.

latitude19

May 29, 2011
I do not know Cruz. She may not be innocent. However, I would tend to believe her b4 PN.

I read quite a few more articles. All differ. There is an "infomercial" on Youtube regarding the dangers of stopping for PN in a dark area. It states something like, "Stay alive, head for the light. This was due to a rash of police robberies and killings.

SO- in this country, where the police are not so nice, you do just that: head for a populated, lit area before stopping. It is ill-advised to simply stop in a remote, dimly lit area. Her driver/security were likely only doing the smart thing: being wary of the police.

My Dominican fiancee thought they probably wanted to rob her. In any case, the police explanation does not make sense. Like someone else said, how can you confuse another vehicle with Cruz' plastered with her stickers, etc.,??

I just had my own encounter with the police here, and it was anything but legit. My fiancee had to sit me down after and tell me how this country really operates, how corrupt and dangerous it really is, so that next time I would not risk my life again.

What did the other article say?

Obviously Cruz was going to present herself in the best possible light, as would anyone else in same situation. But that does not make a possibly self serving statement true.

I do not know Cruz. She may not be innocent. However, I would tend to believe her b4 PN.

I read quite a few more articles. All differ. There is an "infomercial" on Youtube regarding the dangers of stopping for PN in a dark area. It states something like, "Stay alive, head for the light. This was due to a rash of police robberies and killings.

SO- in this country, where the police are not so nice, you do just that: head for a populated, lit area before stopping. It is ill-advised to simply stop in a remote, dimly lit area. Her driver/security were likely only doing the smart thing: being wary of the police.

My Dominican fiancee thought they probably wanted to rob her. In any case, the police explanation does not make sense. Like someone else said, how can you confuse another vehicle with Cruz' plastered with her stickers, etc.,??

I just had my own encounter with the police here, and it was anything but legit. My fiancee had to sit me down after and tell me how this country really operates, how corrupt and dangerous it really is, so that next time I would not risk my life again.

You and papa Bendito need to sit down and do a sticky on the dangers of the Police and Amet.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My neighbor is a General in the Policia National.
He showed me the secret hand signal to show when they ask you to pull over.
It really works,just be sure they see it,BEFORE they start shooting!
It is only for policia y militar,not civilians!!!!!
CC

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
My neighbor is a General in the Policia National.
He showed me the secret hand signal to show when they ask you to pull over.
It really works,just be sure they see it,BEFORE they start shooting!
It is only for policia y militar,not civilians!!!!!
CC

The "one" finger salute?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

So... This only happens in the DR?

Like the tourist that got shot in the head, via his mouth by an UK policeman? Just because they were worried he was a terrorist ready to blow up? So they were worried of him blowing up a body bomb, sooooo... They "shoot" him?

Or the African dude in the Bronx that got shot as many times as the guns could spit bullets by several NYPD cops (Diallo), just because they mistook his wallet for a gun?

What's there to say they didn't do the same mistake here?

But since it's Dominican Republic we're talking here and some public figure, NOoooooooooo!

Please!

Pretty please!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
It's not the "INCIDENTS".

It's the "QUANTITY of the INCIDENCES" that is at issue.

D in Santiago

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Why is it an embarrasment for the PN??? The dummies should have stopped.

I agree about everyone should stop at official checkpoints in normal circumstances. This was not at an official checkpoint. According to the articles, it was near the Shell station on the way out of Barahona. That highway is completely deserted and pitch black at night. I wouldn't stop there myself in the wee hours of the morning if I thought I was being ambushed by robbers. Supposedly, no sirens or lights were used during the pursuit, and the vehicles were not recognized as police vehicles.

Bottom line: if this were anyone BUT Miriam Cruz, they would most likely be DEAD or severely beaten by the police when they caught up with them.

Jochy interview with Miriam's husband, who was driving:

[video=youtube;UXYQ5Ue-dNs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXYQ5Ue-dNs&feature=player_embedded[/video]