When Sosua Was A Place I Would Have Liked To Visit

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
How beautiful it once was. Almost have tears in my eyes when i compare this video with todays Sosua- so little time and so extremly big differences.

Thank you for sharing this video with us.

28 years is quite a long time actually when you look at how many changes the entire world has gone through in those years.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Thanks for posting such a fantastic, amazing video!!! Truly Amazing! I lived in Bonao from 78 to 81, so the streets and cars and houses were very similiar except without the ocean.

Absolutely Amazing! I sent it to all my family.

Thanks, Frank

May 29, 2006
The first time I visited Sosua in the 80s, I stayed in a house in Charimicos. Christmast tree lights would guild you to the beach at night and the scant bars were often lit with a couple candles. El Batey had maybe a half dozen owned shops and there was one bar with a small TV that might have been Eddy's. No pavement aside from the highway. It was quiet at night and VERY dark.

May 29, 2006
Another thing I remember was seeing numerous Haitians missing one of their forearms. I'm still unclear whether they had lost their arms in cane-cutting accidents, or if the tonton macoutes were responsible and they had fled to the DR afterwards. It was right around the time Baby Doc fled Haiti and the Dominican military was worried about a mass invasion.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I'm surprised how it all looks the same as now albeit newer video etc but great to see

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
"I'm surprised how it all looks the same as now albeit newer video etc but great to see"

I had exactly the opposite reaction, especially not seeing playa Sosua riddled with beach chairs.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
These Little Blue Foggers really need a name since they seem to be staying with us!

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
"I'm surprised how it all looks the same as now albeit newer video etc but great to see"

I had exactly the opposite reaction, especially not seeing playa Sosua riddled with beach chairs.

Ok ..more chairs...You Win!