How much interest rate for savings ?

tasha007

Apr 22, 2011
Hi

Some expats say they survive on interest on savings in DR.. how much is interest rate there ? i want to know how much i would get for my savings ? is it survivable ? and is it particular bank that has better interest rate where they put the money ?

tks
tasha
email: alohasheenavancouver@yahoo.ca

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
There are some banks paying 10% yearly. some even allow it to compound monthly. my family's bank here on the island is still paying 10%, but you may be able to get slightly more right now. Do a lot of research, and remember, this kind of interest is only paid on Dominican Pesos, so you'll have to convert your money over to pesos. I've heard of some people paying much more interest on dollars and pesos but, i would be very, very cautious and suspicious with anyone who doesn't have a transparent track record and been doing it for at least 20 years...and with lots of references. Stick with the banks.

I don't know if Central Bank has restarted their CD's yet, but i would investigate that first. Also try Banco Santo Cruz and Banco Popular. they probably tell how much they pay on their websites. The only slight disadvantage with them is that they won't allow your money to compound monthly.

Frank

AtomicPhil

Feb 6, 2012
A, A
Ahh i was about to start a topic like this... I was looking towards a bank that has between 7 - 10 % interest rates and pays monthly or every 3 months it doesnt matter.

another question if u have the money locked down lets say 2 or more years do u still get paid regularly throughout the year untill it matures? or do u have to let it mature first? im looking to putting dollars but it wouldnt mind getting pesos since i would be staying in d.r.. would frank u said banks gives u more interest in dollars then pesos what exactly did u mean by that? would u get dollars back instead of pesos? thanks

AtomicPhil

Feb 6, 2012
A, A
ok.. banco santa cruz u can put u.s dollars and get paid in rd$ or us$ and get paid every 30 days up to 2 years. now to do more researching.

Softail

Nov 15, 2011
ok.. banco santa cruz u can put u.s dollars and get paid in rd$ or us$ and get paid every 30 days up to 2 years. now to do more researching.

Am I correct that nothing like FDIC or FSLIC exists to protect your funds in DR banks?

thanks, Terence

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Latest info from Banco Popular
inversionsfeb.jpg

Thanks for this post...very interesting. I like the fact that Cerveceria Nacional (makers of Presidente Beer, amongst other things) pay higher interest rates than the Central Bank! IN BEER WE TRUST! :bunny: