Debit Card Fraud

scammedindr

Feb 14, 2012
Hi I am a long time reader and am thankful of all the valuable information
I have learned here on DR1.com

Unfortunately, I have recenlty had a very bad experience. Someone had stolen or cloned my debit card
so I disputed it with my bank in late decmeber, and it happened over a 2-3 month period.
Unfortunately, I never noticed it because
I have sevral bank accounts and make a nice income and am a bit lazy with checking and auditing my
my bank statements very closely which is my obviously my fault.
Also, even with over 20,000 usd taken from my bank account the card was never blocked
because the way they went to atms was in a very systematic way.
way and every other day or 2 and between 500- 800 per day, my limit is 1,000 usd so initially,
I figured my debit card was somehow cloned.

Well, my bank ended up declining my dispute based on the fact that I used
the card inthe past with a very similar spending pattern in that I doing large atm withdrawals
for many years,
even though I showed them the card was
also being used while I was in the states and showed them my passport copy and travel stamp
proving it could not have been me.

When Irecently went over all the charges individually It was a daunting task becaus
the ATM transactions only appear as bank codes but after research I
noticed that the some of the ATM withdrwals occured at some of the same hotels I had stayed at
during my 2 month trip, from Puerto Plata, to Santiago to Santo Domingo.
So, obviously it was someone in my inner circle.. :disappoin

So, the only person who could have stolen my card was my taxi driver but I want to be 110% sure.
All I need to know is wh at division in the national police handles credit card fraud and
ow can i obtain photos of the person using my card illegally?

I have the teminal numbers, the bank code names,
plus I have the times and dates of each ATM transaction occured.

Does anyone know if a photo is stored of ech atm transaction?
Please help me with any information you can because justice needs to be served!

I really need a name, number and contact of the division in Policia Nacional that hanles these types
of thefts.

Scammedindr

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 7, 2007
Hello

First of all let me tell you I am sorry for your inconvenience and hassles you are going through. One thing is if your card was used online or in stores, completely different matter is if your card was used at ATM's. The problem is that to get money out of ATM, you need the PIN code. When PIN codes are involved, most banks put hands off, because of "P" - "Personal". Nobody else is supposed to know your PIN.

There are three possible options of what could have happened - either you asked somebody to make the withdrawal for you and gave them the card and PIN code; you have been "shouldered" overseen entering PIN and your card data was copied; or most likely your card got "skimmed" when using ATM through a magnetic reader attached to the card slot and the small camera was recording as you entered PIN. This is the most likely scenario.

For that reason when I use ATM's in the DR (and anywhere) I check the card slot. I use ATM's in the banks or when there is security present. I also put a hand over my other hand to shade it when entering PIN number. You must understand, that for the bank it's difficult to accept it was not YOU or your approved person doing the withdrawals. You may have left or shipped the card to your GF, friend, associate, whoever to withdraw money and later claim it was not you. This is the bank position.

Also PN will not act without a formal complain which you must file in the local FISCALIA. You need to get down to the DR and go to FISCALIA DE DISTRITO NACIONAL if you were in SD and make your complaint. They will transmit the complaint to PN for investigation, and they may also cite the bank(s) to hand over video recordings. Yes the ATM's are recorded. Beware that most recordings are kept for 30 days or so, so you better hurry up. Also you may need to personally go to security department of each bank involved, with the copy of the court order in hand, to speed things up and exercise some pressure. Also beware that it may be necessary that you pay the alguacil (court server) to serve the court order on the bank(s), if you want timely service. In the DR, servers (alguacil) are independent contractors.

ONE THING you can still do, with a copy of the complaint from fiscalia at hand, have it legally translated into English and apostilled in Cancilleria (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) of the DR in Santo Domingo, then go back to your bank and ask for reconsideration of your case. Attach the copy of the apostilled (superlegalized) complaint from fiscalia, plus printings from the DR1 on the DR credit card fraud. Search the archives for related keaywords. Also search major online newspapers like hoy.com, listindiario.com, elcaribe.com.do, diariolibre.com for the keywords. Attach all that documentation to your formal request to reconsider. When the bank sees that you have actually filed a complaint in FISACLIA they will be more likely to consider it was not you doing the withdrawals (obviously you will not complaint in Fiscalia against your GF or associate if they were instructed to make the withdrawals, or so the reasoning would go).

Good luck.

P.S. never, ever use your card in the DR for purchases. If you use ATM use bank ATMs only during banking hours (much lower chance of skimming device being attached because bank personnel checks ATMs every morning and then the security is present + flow of people) and when you type PIN shade your hand with other hand.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I've had my ATM card "compromised" 3 times, and a credit card twice, and I'm about as secure as one can be with them.

Just don't use them except in an emergency!

Props to my banks, they gave me a heads' up within minutes of suspicious activity. But it's a huge hassle to get new cards sent down...

Good advice, George. Props.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I am sorry to have to say this, but if you had $20,000us taken out of your account and then realized it just recently than shame on you. Something in your story doesn't add up. How does a taxi driver have access to your debit card? I don't know any that take cards for payment. If you gave him your personal bank info than your in big trouble. Getting to the bottom of this, if you are not here in the DR, is going to be almost impossible. This an expensive lesson to learn. Hope you have cancelled the card.

S

S

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Hello, The above post by RH was the best, most informative and educated post I have EVER seen on DR1. Just recently someone near Chicago (I'm in Cabarete) withdrew 1,000 from my card in one day. The card company nearly immediately put a hold on the card. The card was cancelled, I was issued a new one. There were no issues. BUT-this was only a brief period of time. I think the main problem you have is that this theft occurred over such a long period. The longer the period of time of the theft, less likely they will foot the bill, even if you provide all evidence, as this theft should have been noticed by a prudent person. What I ask myself is, will the credit card company change it's decision even with all the proof in the world?? Did you ask them that if you could provide irrefutable proof they would then compensate you?? Did you research the obligation of the credit card company?? ...tom

Driftwood

Feb 7, 2012
Does anyone know if a photo is stored of ech atm transaction?
Please help me with any information you can because justice needs to be served!

I really need a name, number and contact of the division in Policia Nacional that hanles these types
of thefts.

Scammedindr

I once knew a man who overspent by more than he could explain to his wife after getting drawn into certain delights on a first trip to the country. He tried to file for a similar circumstance, but could not explain how the withdrawals were following him around. Apparently it is not normal for a card to be cloned and then for the fraudster to follow the victim from town to town to make the withdrawals he claimed were fraudulent. I seem to remember some banks did have photos and some claimed the camera on the ATM was down at the time of transaction. I think in the end he ended up in trouble having claimed one of the withdrawals was a fraud, and that particular withdrawal did have his photo, making the withdrawal.
Moral of this story 'what is worst, face the wife, admit you messed up, or spend 3 months being someones wife, knowing you messed up big time', just be careful with these things. Although far be it from me to speculate. If you do make claims of fraud, be sure you are accurate and know where and when your photo will be on the camera etc.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I dunno... I have to admit, I'm kinda lax when it comes to card security. I follow all the usual steps, and am cautious to a degree; but I regularly use my cards for online transactions, for in store purchases, and at ATM's, (although I prefer to use credit cards for purchases, which add a level of security.) The thing is, all of my cards are with U.S. banks. IF you're just traveling to D.R., or even spending extended time there, but still maintain a residence in the U.S.; you have far more protection against fraud with the U.S. banks. BUT... (big but).... $20,000 missing and not noticed for 2-3 months???? That's a LOT of moo-la to go unnoticed!!!!! I NEVER balance my accounts, and am pretty bad as to keeping strict tabs on them... but GEEZZZZZ... I KNOW I'd miss $20 grand.

Good luck with getting it back, but I'm sorry to say I think your chances are pretty slim.

dropshort

May 18, 2008
It has been reported that fraudsters replace the point of sale chipped card reader with one that records transactions including the PIN. Later they swap the original back and make up cards with the data they have collected.

I sent my bank a suggestion about how to detect fraudulent POS card readers. The bank forwarded it to VISA.
In keeping with the first rule about keeping secrets that is the end of the story.

First Rule? Do not tell anybody!!

DS

Feb 7, 2007
It has been reported that fraudsters replace the point of sale chipped card reader with one that records transactions including the PIN. Later they swap the original back and make up cards with the data they have collected.

I don't think PIN numbers are present on magnetic strips of the cards. Maybe on some, but not on many... at least my foreign cards I can always select and change PIN via phone, or even internet banking. So how would the PIN then get transcribed into the magnetic strip?

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
I don't think PIN numbers are present on magnetic strips of the cards. Maybe on some, but not on many... at least my foreign cards I can always select and change PIN via phone, or even internet banking. So how would the PIN then get transcribed into the magnetic strip?
RH, the POS card reader does not need to read the PIN from the card and as you say the card does not necessarily have the PIN embedded, but a "doctored" POS reader could easily record the PIN that you have to key-in for the Verifone transaction, together with the card details

Feb 7, 2007
RH, the POS card reader does not need to read the PIN from the card and as you say the card does not necessarily have the PIN embedded, but a "doctored" POS reader could easily record the PIN that you have to key-in for the Verifone transaction, together with the card details

Yep but that would be if you use ATM cards only, a credit/debit card with VISA / MC logo does not require entering PIN when doing POS swipe. The ONLY way you can get PIN from a credit/debit VI/MC would be with a camera over the keypad of the ATM ... for that reason I do not do POS charges with foreign VI/MC, only ATM and check the slot & the machine & hand cover when entering PIN. You are never too cautious.