Weather and Other Question...Las Terrenas

italchica

Oct 23, 2011
Hi,
I am considering taking my daughter to Las Terrenas for March break $$$. Since I am going to spend way more than usual I would like to go somewhere where I am going to get safe, sun, sand, snorkelling and relaxation. I know this area is wetter than other areas. Does anyone know if it rains all day everyday or is it the typical rain sun rain tropical weather. I am not asking for a guarantee as there are never any when travelling to the Caribbean. I just want to make sure my vacation wouldn't be 7 days of rain.

My second question is safety. I have been down to Santo Domingo/Boca Chica are and went off the resort and had absolutely no issues whatsoever. I have read a few reviews... different travellers said that hotel security (holding a weapon) wouldn't let women alone past the property line unless accompanied by a male. Also a robbery at knife point near hotel grounds. A bit concerning since I would be travelling with my teenage daughter. I like to leave the resort usually but if it is not safe would like to know in advance by those who live or have been there. I would stay on the resort in that case. I would like to visit as it looks beautiful - Gran Bahia El Portillo

Lastly the beach. I am a beach person and I have heard the snorkelling is ok here. Is the water calm here or is it rough or have an undertow since its on the northeast coast. Love to snorkel but would like to survive the experience. I know the pictures they put on the websites etc are always the best to entice travellers so I just want to make sure. Lots of questions I know. Just doing my homework to avoid dissappointment. Bloggers helped me so much with my last trip when I went to Bayahibe and I had a fabulous time in Dec. The info I got was bang on!

Thanks in advance
Anna

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
It is rare to get one full day of rain. Snorkelling is safe on many beaches in Las Terrenas area and off the beach at Gran Bahia El Portillo. Many of the beaches have calm water. General comments are that the resort area of Las Terrenas is safe. At night get a taxi or moto-concho with badge to return to resort - about 5 miles. Extensive beach at resort is fully guarded.
pi2

justdoit

May 3, 2011
Anna,I sent you a pm, as pi2 said use caution as you would anywhere else and you will be fine

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have stayed at el Portillo. You'll be fine.
Your daughter can safely have the runof the place.

A bit of a trek into town but not that bad.