Weekend in Samana

Lnbond

Nov 20, 2011
I need some advice for a weekend trip to Samana. My best friend is coming to visit and I want to show her something amazing! I?ve been living in SPM for a few months and want to take a road trip to Samana. The top 2 on my list are el salto limon and whale watching. First question, is salto limon really what it looks like on the internet...is it worth the trip? Also how can I get there? I?ll be driving with some friends but where would be the best place to park? Whales-can I just perch myself at a good look out point so I don?t have to pay the $50 to go out on a boat? Also I?ve heard Cayo Levantado is amazing but very touristy. Would it be better to go to Playa Rincon? All in all, where would you go, what would you do? We?ll be there all of Saturday and part Sunday. (Any advise on a good but cheap hotel?)

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Hello, One day I will go to Salto Limon- I can't tell you about it other than that it can be muddy with rainfall, and you can rent horses for the trip to the falls. I have heard it is a HEALTHY walk and many recommend horseback. I guess for me Samana is about being on the ocean- probably why I have nevr gone inland to the falls.

For me, Samana Peninsula is about tranquility. You will find that at beaches Fronton, Madama and Rincon. My advice is rent a boat for around $65-85 at Playa Las Galeras to take you to Playa Madama and Fronton. Fronton is the most amazing beach, with hardly ever anybody else there. You can find interesting stones and coral, and the snorkeling is reasonably good there, but BE CAREFUL not to venture too close to where the boat enters to come in to Fronton, as there can sometimes be a STRONG current. When we were there we saw whales, but far offshore. On the way back (you pass on the way to fronton also) you will pass Playa Madama. This is a beautiful beach as well, much smaller than Fronton. Your boat guide should be able to open a coconut or 2 for you to drink. There is a small cave that your guide should know close by that you can explore if you bring a light. On the way back you will pass El Cabito El Cabito, a restaurant hanging over the cliff. Go there for dinner one night. You should call for reservations one day in advance. With (cheap) wine dinner may be around 30-35 per person, but is worth it. They cook in a furgon, or wood fired stove. You can tell by taste of food. You will wait for your food. We waited once 2 hours, but the beauty of the setting makes it worth it. Get there early so you can see the sunset- at least 30 minutes before sunset. The road there is dismal and looong drive to get there. If you or your car do not like bumpy roads, then eat at Lusitania, which is located right at the turn for El Cabito near Las Galeras beach.

The road going to Rincon (I recommend going to Fronton/Madama before Rincon) used be 4WD only, but just recently has been fixed a bit so that a regular car can get there. There is an interesting, clear freshwater river on one side that you should take a look at. This is where the local Dominican's hang out, so on weekends, don't be surprised if there is loud music. On the other side of the beach is an ok restaurant, and where tourists who have come by boat go. You can eat there and lounge on the beach. On the way to Rincon on the right side is an Iguana Conservation project. I stopped for the first time about 2 weeks ago. The guide was anything but knowledgeable, (I aksed how long iguanas live- a good, long time was the response.), but worth it to see the iguanas.

There is a little beach La Playita very close to Las Galeras that you can ask about. It is hard to find w/o help. There is a fairly good restaurant, and nice chairs for lounging. You can also snorkel and rent kayaks there. They have snorkel gear for rent.

Cayo Levantado was not my favorite place- VERY touristy- but did have a nice beach and good for relaxing with others. I went once, thought it was sorta bleak. Not what you go to Samana for, at least not what I go to Samana for.

With good binocs you can see whales from a bluff, but you go to Samana to get up close and personal. Spend money to do it right. Book a whale tour with Kim Beddall's boat: Whale Samana Reservations Kim is a whale expert. I went in a small fishing boat, and although I could imagine better what an adventure the whalers must have had, I was wet, a bit cold, and wishing that our guide was a professional. Go in a big boat, preferably Kim Beddall's. Think it is around $65.

Seeing the whales and going to Samana, you need to spend a bit of money. Do a bit of a splurge and you won't regret it. I do not know about hotels as I have always stayed in one place which is more on the expensive side.

Last edited:

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
We went to look at the whales last year, and as we missed the Kim Beddal boat, we took a small fishing boat at Las Galeras for 20$ per person.

Our guide knew what he was talking about, and knew where to look for them. As a matter of fact, the official boats were following him. But maybe I was lucky, and you should take one of the kim beddal boats. What annoyed me was that these boats were billowing oil smoke.

Our guide took us to Paradise Island for some snorkeling and lunch. Although he did not expect it at all, we paid him lunch and a beer. He would have taken us to playa fronton, but we declined as we were out of time.

I agree with Latitude that Playa Rincon is not really worth the trouble, at least not the part where all the boats moor. We went snorkeling there and did not see one single sign of life in the water. We had lobster at the restaurant which was bland, and not worth the money at all.

The iguanas though might be interesting. Must be something new, as I have never seen any sign.

A nice thing to visit is the boca del diablo, a waterspout. From there you can take a horse to playa fronton, which is worth a visit.

El Limon I did not find worth bothering... then again we lived at Jarabacoa with their falls. What annoyed me the most were the severely abused horses, and how they kept hitting them with branches on the way up and down. Of course I do not know if all operators do it this way, only the one we took.

I know you can get nice hotels for little money on playa bonita in LT, IF you pay cash

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
El Limon waterfall is nice... but everybody was there!!! Go to cascada Lulu close to Playa el Valle. You can zipline over the waterfall as well. It is for sure not s high but then you something unspoiled, as well as the beach and its local beach clubs.

If possible take a (boat) tour to Playa Madame (or by horse) or go playa ermitano. Than you see something what is really nice, or Playa Fronton... unspoiled beaches, you feel like Columbus!!!

And then afterwards for example Las Terrenas, nice international beach restaurants and discotheques.

Lnbond

Nov 20, 2011
Thanks everyone! We ended up just. Doing a day trip. The new highway is soooo beautiful. Stunning views and some caverns we stopped by on the way. We stopped at playa Bonita before las Terrenas which they're starting houses on but it was like a deserted island. Some locals picked a cacao fruit for us to try....that was fun! We went on to el limon where we paid 100 pesos for parking, no guide, no horses. A little kid offered to take us for 100 pesos so we followed him. It was easy enough to follow without a guide especially with the herds of people on horses. Everyone said the hike was strenuous and I have to agree but due to the mud. They said it had rained. Just so you know you have to cross the stream 3 times each way with water up to your knees. I was wearing my Keens but our friends were in their tennis. It took about 45 mins but we were navigating our. Way through tons of mud and waiting for horses to go by. It was beautiful scenery and the waterfall was incredible in the end. The water was a little cold and it was a cloudy day but still amazing. It was handy having our little guide to guard our stuff while we swam. Definitely someThing you've got to do! We brought our spaghetti and ate it where we had parked by a cacao stand and bough some logs? (you grate it and mix in sugar and its coco powder) on our way out we saw some guys with a big pile of coconut and wanted to buy one, they werent selling them but gave us one to try. Such nice people:D On our way back we stopped at las terrenas which was so great. The only thing I would change about our trip is to stay for a night or two! The highway had like 3 tolls, one 50, 120?, and 480 :/ each way....so if I was paying that much to get there I would make my trip longer. It was a good Mix of touristy and local. Loved it!!!!

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
Playa Bonita a desterted island.... Think you are confused. Its one of the places where you will find many villas.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Thanks everyone! We ended up just. Doing a day trip. The new highway is soooo beautiful. Stunning views and some caverns we stopped by on the way. We stopped at playa Bonita before las Terrenas which they're starting houses on but it was like a deserted island. Some locals picked a cacao fruit for us to try....that was fun! We went on to el limon where we paid 100 pesos for parking, no guide, no horses. A little kid offered to take us for 100 pesos so we followed him. It was easy enough to follow without a guide especially with the herds of people on horses. Everyone said the hike was strenuous and I have to agree but due to the mud. They said it had rained. Just so you know you have to cross the stream 3 times each way with water up to your knees. I was wearing my Keens but our friends were in their tennis. It took about 45 mins but we were navigating our. Way through tons of mud and waiting for horses to go by. It was beautiful scenery and the waterfall was incredible in the end. The water was a little cold and it was a cloudy day but still amazing. It was handy having our little guide to guard our stuff while we swam. Definitely someThing you've got to do! We brought our spaghetti and ate it where we had parked by a cacao stand and bough some logs? (you grate it and mix in sugar and its coco powder) on our way out we saw some guys with a big pile of coconut and wanted to buy one, they werent selling them but gave us one to try. Such nice people:D On our way back we stopped at las terrenas which was so great. The only thing I would change about our trip is to stay for a night or two! The highway had like 3 tolls, one 50, 120?, and 480 :/ each way....so if I was paying that much to get there I would make my trip longer. It was a good Mix of touristy and local. Loved it!!!!

If you have energy and fitness walking up to the falls is ideal. There are many places of beauty on the way up. A guide is possible but if you go on your own or with a group it is customary to tip the farmers for crossing their land.

There are also many forest paths to explore and amazing birds, butterflies, plants.

DR has done well to preserve this area.

When you enter the actual area of the falls you are asked to pay a small fee: before setting out have some small change.

Tropical lightweight hiking boots are an advantatge.

For a primary tourist location DR is to be commended for preserving it in all its glory! Also the local population offer excellent services meals etc.

El Limon itself is also a place to visit. The areas round the river and pool on the main road have recently been upgraded.

pi2

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
some caverns we stopped by on the way

Thanks for the great report, Lnbond..... I've zoomed by the cave several times; but have never stopped--- How far back does it go and is it worth exploring?
Susan

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Susan:

The cave looks more interesting than it actually is. It is, however worth stopping and taking a walk inside. It is a large rotunda shape and goes back in maybe 30 yards. I am sure to a geologist this place would be fascinating. At the ceiling of the cave in a shute shaped like a small slide where it looks like water may have flowed at one time. If you are a spelunker it looks like you could possibly crawl through into another cave or maybe to the center of earth. Bring your camera. You can get some interesting photos, shooting from inside the cave to the highway. Susan, you should consider opening a touristy
cave bar, featuring margaritas and mojitos. Yes, just think about it. That is all I ask.

LTS