Shopping for appliances in US.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
So...
My wife decided that today after dinner is perfect time to shop for appliances to send to DR. We are not going to buy most expensive or new out there but I have couple of questions.
Gas range/oven: Can I get regular city supplied gas range/oven and use it in DR converted to propaine?
Washer/dryer: Do I get gas version of dryer as well for dryer for rainy days?

TIA.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
If I were you I would consider (heavily) buying the appliance down there for several reasons which I myself have looked into as I am in the same boat....

1) The cost is roughly in par. I've looked into Frigidaire units (gas) here in Bestbuy, they go for about $600US. If you go to Plaza Lama they have the same unit for about $660. You may be able to negotiate the price also.

2) If you buy your stove in the US you will have to convert it down there.

3) If it breaks you can't do anything nut get it fixed down there. At least in DR you can rely on a warentee for x amount of months.

4) You still have to ship it down there which is gonna run you some $US.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
BUY EVERYTHING HERE!
UNLESS you company is paying the shipping costs,and duty fees.
If they are,buy the biggest,best,most energy efficient you can find.
Bring a couple of big screen LED TVs too.
CC

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
You should buy appliances ready for propane. Relying on a Dominican conversion can be costly and dangerous.
Converting Gas Appliances - Propane and Natural Gas Appliance Conversions
Thanks for the advice. I'll look for propane gas stove..

If I were you I would consider (heavily) buying the appliance down there for several reasons which I myself have looked into as I am in the same boat....

1) The cost is roughly in par. I've looked into Frigidaire units (gas) here in Bestbuy, they go for about $600US. If you go to Plaza Lama they have the same unit for about $660. You may be able to negotiate the price also.

2) If you buy your stove in the US you will have to convert it down there.

3) If it breaks you can't do anything nut get it fixed down there. At least in DR you can rely on a warentee for x amount of months.

4) You still have to ship it down there which is gonna run you some $US.
I didn't realize the price was on par with US. I have heard stuff is more expensive if you want to get same quality items in DR. I don't have many knowledge on appliances so I wouldn't know but I've looked at the prices on SUV's and it's VERY expensive compare to here back in States. I should've asked more about this but I am running out of time and my wife is on spending mode. :(

BUY EVERYTHING HERE!
UNLESS you company is paying the shipping costs,and duty fees.
If they are,buy the biggest,best,most energy efficient you can find.
Bring a couple of big screen LED TVs too.
CC
CC...
My company is willing to pay for everything so I'll be bringing everything except kitchen sink. But since cash is some what limited I don't think I can afford best/expensive out there. I have a feeling my wife will look for stylish first energy efficient second and price third. I will be right next to her and I'll be looking everything in reverse order.
Refrigerator, washer&dryer and gas oven under $2500 or less is my goal. Let's see how it goes.
Oh and already have 42" LCD we are happy with but I'll keep my eyes out for something smaller for bedrooms.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Thanks for the advice. I'll look for propane gas stove..

I didn't realize the price was on par with US. I have heard stuff is more expensive if you want to get same quality items in DR. I don't have many knowledge on appliances so I wouldn't know but I've looked at the prices on SUV's and it's VERY expensive compare to here back in States. I should've asked more about this but I am running out of time and my wife is on spending mode. :(

CC...
My company is willing to pay for everything so I'll be bringing everything except kitchen sink. But since cash is some what limited I don't think I can afford best/expensive out there. I have a feeling my wife will look for stylish first energy efficient second and price third. I will be right next to her and I'll be looking everything in reverse order.
Refrigerator, washer&dryer and gas oven under $2500 or less is my goal. Let's see how it goes.
Oh and already have 42" LCD we are happy with but I'll keep my eyes out for something smaller for bedrooms.

Another factor is that US appliances are mostly designed for stable power. I purchased a Bosch Fridge / Freezer in the DR for about $500 dollars built in Peru and it has given excellent service.

Samsung fully top loading automatic washing machine about 400 dollars has also served well.

Most times clothes dry in the sun or open space in 4 hours.

US brands such as 02 fans are great also. Very economical.

O2-Cool Model 1054 10" Indoor/Outdoor Fan: Amazon.com: Home & Kitchen

Check if your company will also pay import duties, local delivery, any repairs etc. as you will no have the years or up to two years guarantee with the self imported products.

pi2

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
You are on your own

Your best bet is to buy Dominican market appliances even if your company is shipping your household goods to the DR. The reason is under most company paid international moves they are responsible for the integrity of the move and storage in transit. They will underwrite your property during the move. However, that will be the extent of their reponsibility. Should you ship heavy appliances of US purchase once they are grounded in the DR there will be no manufacturers guarantee/warranty for them. Read a standard guarantee of a US marketed product and you will observe the guarantee/warranty is valid in the US and on occasion Puerto Rico, they wll provide you with an 800 number to call for service or parts. So, if you buy a 6,000 dollar professional model stove and it goes south with (on) you there is no manufacturer or retailer recourse.

Should your product such as a US sourced stove require service, most Dominicans in the service business are quite adept at making repairs. Yet, it is a rare occurance you will find a part, not to say you will not, but you will have to search and that process can be very exhausting and stressful. Most likely you will have to source in the US for a part and then air ship it here. Air freight is extremely costly. Your company will not pay for the part or the air freight. You are on your own.

Buying Dominican is wise and less costly and for what it is worth there is a limited gurantee/warranty for local products and plenty of available parts.

Regards,

PJT

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Another factor is that US appliances are mostly designed for stable power. I purchased a Bosch Fridge / Freezer in the DR for about $500 dollars built in Peru and it has given excellent service.

Samsung fully top loading automatic washing machine about 400 dollars has also served well.

Most times clothes dry in the sun or open space in 4 hours.

US brands such as 02 fans are great also. Very economical.

O2-Cool Model 1054 10" Indoor/Outdoor Fan: Amazon.com: Home & Kitchen

Check if your company will also pay import duties, local delivery, any repairs etc. as you will no have the years or up to two years guarantee with the self imported products.

pi2
pi2...
My wife is willing to hang dry most of our stuff our side when the weather is nice. But with 19 months old boy that changes clothes constantly, she have her foot down on the dryer. So we've settled on look for Washer/Dryer combo that we've heard not long ago.
From all the things I've read I am surprised at you not purchasing and suggesting a side loading washer because it will save you drying time, water and electricity. :D

Your best bet is to buy Dominican market appliances even if your company is shipping your household goods to the DR. The reason is under most company paid international moves they are responsible for the integrity of the move and storage in transit. They will underwrite your property during the move. However, that will be the extent of their reponsibility. Should you ship heavy appliances of US purchase once they are grounded in the DR there will be no manufacturers guarantee/warranty for them. Read a standard guarantee of a US marketed product and you will observe the guarantee/warranty is valid in the US and on occasion Puerto Rico, they wll provide you with an 800 number to call for service or parts. So, if you buy a 6,000 dollar professional model stove and it goes south with (on) you there is no manufacturer or retailer recourse.

Should your product such as a US sourced stove require service, most Dominicans in the service business are quite adept at making repairs. Yet, it is a rare occurance you will find a part, not to say you will not, but you will have to search and that process can be very exhausting and stressful. Most likely you will have to source in the US for a part and then air ship it here. Air freight is extremely costly. Your company will not pay for the part or the air freight. You are on your own.

Buying Dominican is wise and less costly and for what it is worth there is a limited gurantee/warranty for local products and plenty of available parts.

Regards,

PJT

PJT...
Warranty issue is well noted and will be discussed further on the bed. And I am really concerned on the lack of warranty as things are constantly being made in most cheapest labored countries. This is why I want to purchase most uncomplicated products out there but my wife is looked at more expensive stuff from Samsung/LG with lot of electronics. I am completely against this but she has that heart set on Samsung Fridge and LG Washer/Dryer Combo, the brands that she only knew from her childhood. I am leaning toward Kenmore since most parts are easily available at sears. It's not going to be easy but you guys have gave me other prospective. I don't know how my wife will take this but I am going to think about buying my parents brand new appliances and me taking the ones from my parents....

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I vote against the "washer/dryer combo".
They are more expensive,have less capacity,and if one half breaks,you are stuck with it sitting there.
Also easier to repair,or replace one unit.
Bring me a 42" LED TV!
Any brand is just fine.
CC

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
I vote against the "washer/dryer combo".
They are more expensive,have less capacity,and if one half breaks,you are stuck with it sitting there.
Also easier to repair,or replace one unit.
Bring me a 42" LED TV!
Any brand is just fine.
CC

So true. I dont know why those stacked Washer/Dryer units are so freaking expensive! (they are more than $1KUS). I guess its that they save people space.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Top loaders like Samsung WA80U3 are more than adequate:

WA80U3 - OVERVIEW | SAMSUNG

About 400 dollars delivered in the DR. Lightweight clothing in tropical areas means more clothes per load.

Machines such as these are very popular Worldwide.

pi2

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Less is best.

You have to really have to investigate your electronic purchases, cost and practicality. You need consider the the quality and service of the electric supply systems of this country in relation to your electronic purchases.

Most locations where you are dependent on a public rather than a private distribution system you are going to have irregularities in the voltage delivery. This is to say one day you may have 105 volts the next day 125 volts. The next issue with the public supply is blackouts, there are sections of the country and various barrios in the capital where delivery is sporadic. The constant on/off/on/off will stress electronics to the point where normal product life is reduced. The on/off cycle invites voltage surges that will instantly fry electronics not protected by internal surge regulators or external regulators. Products purchased outside the country may not have the internal surge protection workings and working voltage parameters as those made for the DR domestic market. Therefore, it is wise to protect your home for surge protection whether or not you purchase local or prior to the move.

Next if you plan to live on or near the ocean be aware of the salt air. The airborne salt takes the servce life away from any electronic device. So, if you purchase costly high end electronic devices the salt will destroy them just as well and as fast as one of moderate price. Plan your purchases well.

Keep this in mind when you purchase a propane stove with all the electronic bells and whistles to make it operate, that if the electonics board is fried you cannot fry.

Regards,

PJT

May 29, 2006
One item I brought last time was a double-burner turkey fryer with a removable grill on it. The fryer is available for around $100 and the box grill top is available from Camp Chef(through Cabella's) for about $45. It was excellent for making wings and fries on the porch or cooking burgers with the grill. You can also buy a single burner turkey fryer with a 20 qt pot for under $40 but a double burner is nice. It all hooks up to a 25 pound or bigger propane tank. These things crank out a lot of heat!

41-a21yRppL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

5127EH24X0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon.com: Camp Chef Explorer Series EX-60LW 2-Burner Modular Cooking System, Black: Patio, Lawn & Garden

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Yes, I must admit I bought a NewAir icemaker to save opening my freezer door so much in the daytime - it runs off a timeswitch.

Soon I may dispense with the fridge and just use an ultra coolbox loaded with ice.

Amazon.com: newair portable ice maker

pi2

One item I brought last time was a double-burner turkey fryer with a removable grill on it. The fryer is available for around $100 and the box grill top is available from Camp Chef(through Cabella's) for about $45. It was excellent for making wings and fries on the porch or cooking burgers with the grill. You can also buy a single burner turkey fryer with a 20 qt pot for under $40 but a double burner is nice. It all hooks up to a 25 pound or bigger propane tank. These things crank out a lot of heat!

Amazon.com: Camp Chef Explorer Series EX-60LW 2-Burner Modular Cooking System, Black: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Top loaders like Samsung WA80U3 are more than adequate:

WA80U3 - OVERVIEW | SAMSUNG

About 400 dollars delivered in the DR. Lightweight clothing in tropical areas means more clothes per load.

Machines such as these are very popular Worldwide.

pi2

My wife wanted almost twice expensive LG branded model but we agreed on washer/dryer combo for now.

You have to really have to investigate your electronic purchases, cost and practicality. You need consider the the quality and service of the electric supply systems of this country in relation to your electronic purchases.

Most locations where you are dependent on a public rather than a private distribution system you are going to have irregularities in the voltage delivery. This is to say one day you may have 105 volts the next day 125 volts. The next issue with the public supply is blackouts, there are sections of the country and various barrios in the capital where delivery is sporadic. The constant on/off/on/off will stress electronics to the point where normal product life is reduced. The on/off cycle invites voltage surges that will instantly fry electronics not protected by internal surge regulators or external regulators. Products purchased outside the country may not have the internal surge protection workings and working voltage parameters as those made for the DR domestic market. Therefore, it is wise to protect your home for surge protection whether or not you purchase local or prior to the move.

Next if you plan to live on or near the ocean be aware of the salt air. The airborne salt takes the servce life away from any electronic device. So, if you purchase costly high end electronic devices the salt will destroy them just as well and as fast as one of moderate price. Plan your purchases well.

Keep this in mind when you purchase a propane stove with all the electronic bells and whistles to make it operate, that if the electonics board is fried you cannot fry.

Regards,

PJT

PJT...
My wife said one sentence and I am not going to argue. She said "It me who is going to spend most of time in kitchen, not you."

I will be living in Santiago so I don't think I'll have problems with salt but I've had seen and felt power surges/power going out even in hotels. I am going to look for voltage regulators on Amazon.com and hope for the best.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012

Yes, I must admit I bought a NewAir icemaker to save opening my freezer door so much in the daytime - it runs off a timeswitch.

Soon I may dispense with the fridge and just use an ultra coolbox loaded with ice.

Amazon.com: newair portable ice maker

pi2

Thanks...
You guys are pushing me to bankruptcy with all these excellent suggestions.:hurt::) I do have Bayou Turkey fryer with 20qt pot. I bought it for crawfish boils couple of years ago. But since my mother loves how practical it is I am going to leave it for her to use and I am going to buy that Camp Chef with few of it's accessories next week. I know my wife is not going to like purchasing these along with other BBQ items and tools that I am planing to buy. :(

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
"Hard-Wired"

PJT...
My wife said one sentence and I am not going to argue. She said "It me who is going to spend most of time in kitchen, not you."

LOL

All wives have the sentence hard-wired into their auto-response system.

Your response will be; [none] or Yes dear, and I'm the one who will have to fix it or search and pay for a replacement if it breaks." .......... then expect the cold stare.

Regards,

PJT

Last edited by a moderator:

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Yo must tell her about the maid who is going to mop the floors each morning - and load the washing machine! Serve iced drinks; Make your breakfast out of fresh fruits. Iron your lightweight linen suits.:bunny:pi2
LOLAll wives have the sentence hard-wired into their auto-response system.Your response will be; [none] or Yes dear, and I'm the one who will have to fix it or search and pay for a replacement if it breaks." .......... then expect the cold stare.Regards,PJT

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
LOL

All wives have the sentence hard-wired into their auto-response system.

Your response will be; [none] or Yes dear, and I'm the one who will have to fix it or search and pay for a replacement if it breaks." .......... then expect the cold stare.

Regards,

PJT
Ahhh... After few days of silent treatment and sleeping on my son's bed. We have done appliances shopping.

Anybody have suggestions on good voltage regulators? I am thinking about buying two. One for washing machine and other for refrigerator rice cooker/warmer in the kitchen

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have lived in Santo Domingo for over 16 years.I have "all the above",with no voltage regulators
Never had them,never burned out anything.Washer "rusted away",no electrical problems.
I do,however,have a "Top-Of-The-Line" Trace 3.6 K invertor.(The newer inverters are completely digital and even "better" than my 16 year old model)
A premium brand inverter will act as a voltage regulator for anything in it's circuit.
You can get some small "UPS" units at "Staples",or a similar "Box Store" for special care for your computers if you feel the need.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC