What To Do When Your TV is Fried

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
With all of the power surges today it looks like my Sony 48" wide screen is toast.

It's only 2 years old, any suggestions and yes I have a voltage regulator and surge protector.

I paid about $1500 U.S and for only 2 years I don't want to replace them at this price

My question is can it be fixed and by whom and for how much or should I dump it offshore and make a sony artifical reef so it will atract those Big Eye Tuna !

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Let me know when the tuna arrives...

I will go and fish for it, and share the proceeds with you...

Good luck with the tv

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
With all of the power surges today it looks like my Sony 48" wide screen is toast.

It's only 2 years old, any suggestions and yes I have a voltage regulator and surge protector.

I paid about $1500 U.S and for only 2 years I don't want to replace them at this price

My question is can it be fixed and by whom and for how much or should I dump it offshore and make a sony artifical reef so it will atract those Big Eye Tuna !

Those TV techs down there perform miracles. Talk to some people you trust, they are bound to know a tv repair person. If your lucky it could have been a blown fuse inside the TV.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Problem solved and TV is working.

I did call Sony and when it is fried it is fried but that was not the problem.

The problem is the power is out and I was not receiving power spikes but just a wake up call to switch to my own inverter.

At the end of the day I have all the proper equipment in place and will have to share the Sony people with any sushi I catch but after yesterdays fishing expedition I may not go for a while

May 29, 2006
The good news is that when the TV does finally die you can prob get it replaced for less than half the price of what you paid for it.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
my tv just had some issues too. i have an LCD and the thing would turn on, flash at us and then we could hear the programs, but there was no picture on the screen.

i researched on the internet - and mostly it seemed to be an expensive, but common, problem to fix. the advice was, throw it away and get a new one. but i bought the thing in the states, and tvs here are more expensive than at home.

my husband took it to "a guy" and 800 pesos later we have our tv back. the backlights got blown out in a power surge (though the guy says the electric couldn't have spiked too much or the whole tv would be burnt). bought a power surge thingy that my friend recommended and hopefully won't have this problem again.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
bought a power surge thingy that my friend recommended and hopefully won't have this problem again.

I use 3 surge protectors on different applications in my house. After these protectors get "HIT" a few times by surges, do they lose their effectivness.......or stop totally...just curious. Many times a day there are quick 1 second power off, power on repeatidly, this has to play a toll.....
The house is grounded,and I use an Inverter....

B in Santiago

May 29, 2006
where did you buy it?

In the US, just about anywhere including Wal~Mart, Target, or Best Buy. My VIZIO HD 32" was around $180 on sale last August at Walmart. That's less than what I paid for a smaller CRT 10 years ago. They go on sale all the time to make room for new models.

A 32" is now considered "small." Times change. They are already phasing out the 720s.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I use 3 surge protectors on different applications in my house. After these protectors get "HIT" a few times by surges, do they lose their effectivness.......or stop totally...just curious. Many times a day there are quick 1 second power off, power on repeatidly, this has to play a toll.....
The house is grounded,and I use an Inverter....

B in Santiago
Some of the surge protectors have an indicator light to let you know if it is still working or not.

D in Santiago

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Out of curiosity. In Europe we do not have the brand RCA. I get the impression here that these tv's are crap.

Is this correct? I just ask as, over here, they are the only ones with somewhat of a decent price-tag on them.

Thanks

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Ive seen the voltage spike protectors for sale that have two outlets....Does anyone know if they sell surge/voltage spike protectors for the entire house? Probably gets installed between the meter can and the service panel (breaker box). If so, prices?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Ive seen the voltage spike protectors for sale that have two outlets....Does anyone know if they sell surge/voltage spike protectors for the entire house? Probably gets installed between the meter can and the service panel (breaker box). If so, prices?

Click Link > Square D - SDSA1175 Secondary Surge Arrester

I have used one of these in the States and never had a problem.

I have one here that I have never installed as I use an Inverter, grounded house system and an ALWAYS on 60 cycle UPS that uses 24v battery system which powers all my electronic equipment.

D in Santiago

Last edited:

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Click Link > Square D - SDSA1175 Secondary Surge Arrester

I have used one of these in the States and never had a problem.

I have one here that I have never installed as I use an Inverter, grounded house system and an ALWAYS on 60 cycle UPS that uses 24v battery system which powers all my electronic equipment.

D in Santiago

D, so the reason why you don't use the surge protector down there is because you use an inverter? Can you be more specific and maybe send a picture of your setup?

The house I am currently finishing the Maestro tells me suffers from low voltage, sometimes seeing 90V coming in.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
D, so the reason why you don't use the surge protector down there is because you use an inverter? Can you be more specific and maybe send a picture of your setup?

The house I am currently finishing the Maestro tells me suffers from low voltage, sometimes seeing 90V coming in.

Suffering from low voltage is going to be a problem for you as an Inverter may have to cycle on and off a lot, running down the batteries. The low-voltage problem is because too many people are on the same transformer and are overloading the transformer. Consider getting your own private small transformer to supply 110/220 to your home.

I have the electric pole right outside my house with the transformer on it. (Limited houses here, so it's not overloaded)

A friend of mind has his own private transformer, just keep an eye on it and DO NOT ALLOW others to connect to it.

My setup:

(1) When I saw that the electricians did NOT use a 3-wire system for the house outlets, I told the Engineer to "FIX IT".
.... (1A) This included running the third (3rd) wire to all outlets and installing a GROUND ROD.

(2) One of the first things I bought when I moved in was a 3.6kw Trace Inverter.
.... (2A) The Inverter handles low and high input voltage fluctuations.
.... (2B) The Inverter also provides a 40 second delay in switching back off for those EdeNorte on/off hic-cups.

(3) Everything except the water pumps and hot water heater are on the Inverter (Including the Refrigerators)

(4) The computer is plugged in through a AVTEK Regulador para Computadors.

(5) About 3 years ago I bought a Tripp-Lite 1000VA always on UPS .
.... (5A) The UPS is ALWAYS running, it converts the incoming A/C line to 24vdc and then that to 110v, 60cycle A/C
.... (5B) Thus "NO SURGES" on the UPS A/C line, and no switching time delays.
.... (5C) All my electronics, including the computer, security cameras, alarm system, TV's are fed from the 1000va UPS.
.... (5D) The Tripp-Lite UPS is connected through the 3.6kw Trace Inverter, another layer of protection.

(6) Perhaps I should install the Square D SDSA1175 Secondary Surge Arrester, it's been gathering dust for over 14 years.

We have been here over 14 years and have NEVER had a problem.

PS: If need be, you can probably install your own utility pole, if so, install it inside your property line if you can, else it may be considered public property.

D in Santiago

Last edited:

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Suffering from low voltage is going to be a problem for you as an Inverter may have to cycle on and off a lot, running down the batteries. The low-voltage problem is because too many people are on the same transformer and are overloading the transformer. Consider getting your own private small transformer to supply 110/220 to your home.

I have the electric pole right outside my house with the transformer on it. (Limited houses here, so it's not overloaded)

A friend of mind has his own private transformer, just keep an eye on it and DO NOT ALLOW others to connect to it.

Thanks for the write up. Do you know how much it would cost to get your own transformer installed? Can't be cheap.
I was looking at this unit...

Siemens QSA2020SPD Whole House Surge Protection with Two 20 Amp Circuit Breakers: Amazon.com: Home Improvement

BTW - What's your electric bill look like?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
He doesn't NEED a surge suppressor because his house system is properly grounded. Ungrounded electrical systems are somewhat the norm in the DR.

It is simple and inexpensive to have your entire home electrical system grounded. It takes a copper rod, some cable, a connector and a tiny bit of knowledge.

May 29, 2006
Out of curiosity. In Europe we do not have the brand RCA. I get the impression here that these tv's are crap.

Is this correct? I just ask as, over here, they are the only ones with somewhat of a decent price-tag on them.

Thanks

RCA is considered a standard TV brand in the US along with Zenith and Magnavox. Maybe they only produce TVs for 100v-110v. I don't know how they compare for flat screens. They may get a tax break in the DR from CAFTA.