Does ginger ale exist here?

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
You would think with how much Dominicans like ginger it would but I have never seen any in the supermarkets in Santiago.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
We were able to buy it in the major supermarkets in Santo Domingo most of the time - just like many luxury items sometimes the stores have it in stock and sometimes they don't so buy in bulk if you really like an imported item when it is available if it has a decent shelf life.

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
You can find it at La Sirena in Santiago and sometimes you can find it at Janet's in Cabarete.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

I live in Las Terrenas and have found it in two locations. One is the Omaha Specialty Store, which sells a lot of items from the US you can't find anywhere else, including Omaha Meat.

S

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
Plaza Llama in Santo Domingo has been stocking diet and regular Canada Dry ( Cherry Coke too!). Hopefully there is a PL in Santiago...

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I have been looking for Ginger Ale on the North Coast for the last 6 months to a year, and never seen it once, and that is counting many trip to Sirena POP (1 trip per week), Tropical POP (1 or 2 trips per month), and Jose Luis (2 or 3 trips).

I used to see it once in a while, about 2 or 3 years ago, in either Tropical or Jose Luis, I can't remember.

If someone sees it, let me know, or dont' buy all!

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
The straight up ginger ale conspiracy

Ginger ale is not available in many areas (restaurants and bars) throughout the US. Yet more than 50% of the time bar keeps will routinely pour sprite with a splash of cola when asked for the British beverage. This has been my observation for more than 3 decades. It has always bewildered me, as if there is any similarity between the flavor of sprite/coke and the soda/pop/mixer of topic. Even the color is not an exact match...

I was out to eat with a British co-worker at a restaurant neither of us had been to before in Fort Lauderdale, when (not sure how it came up), I explained this phenom as we were waiting to be greeted by our waitress. He absolutely thought I was full of it. But sure enough as if on cue, we were served sprite /coke. It was perfect! We had a huge laugh.

More recently I have lamented this to a friend who was a bar tender for many years....she is unsympathetic and treats this "switch" as the norm throughout the industry. She claims it is a simple matter of there not being enough buttons on the soda gun. No se, all I know is coke does not taste like Root Beer, and I have never seen the two interchanged in this subrosa fashion....yet ye ole ginga', has been the subject of discrimination for many years with seemingly little out cry.

I can only imagine what I will find in the RD, ....my spanish is not good enough for me to brave the exchange, so I just order Sprite or a fria.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
It is sold by Coca Cola and comes in 20oz plastic bottles. Sells for the same price as Sprite. Is called Canada Dry rather than Ginger Ale and used to be available everywhere.

Matilda

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I have been looking for Ginger Ale on the North Coast for the last 6 months to a year, and never seen it once, and that is counting many trip to Sirena POP (1 trip per week), Tropical POP (1 or 2 trips per month), and Jose Luis (2 or 3 trips).

I used to see it once in a while, about 2 or 3 years ago, in either Tropical or Jose Luis, I can't remember.

If someone sees it, let me know, or dont' buy all!

I am with you on this one. A coouple of years back I was in POP and got ill, was extremely nauseated and only wanted ginger ale. After scouring every supermarket shelf in POP, we went to the Coca Cola factory in POP and they said they no longer distribute it, this was in January 2010.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Canada Dry makes Club Soda, Tonic Water, and Ginger Ale.

Usually, they only have Club Soda here....and often Tonic Water...however, very seldom Ginger Ale.

Now I'm getting even more thirstier for Ginger Ale.

Jan 22, 2010

T.E.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
They have Canada Dry ginger ale cans in Playero. Look for them in the top shelf of the refrigerated beverage section not in the beverage section.

May 29, 2006
Now if you want the good stuff, look for some Goya Ginger Beer. Kind of odd that Ginger Ale/Beer isn't that popular in the DR. I know they export ginger and ginger beer is often associated with the Caribbean.