Best Place To Buy A Small Safe

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have been asked to post this question.

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy a small safe for use in a home or an apartment that is secure? Preferred is a safe that requires both a key and a combination and has reliable electronics, or just a combination (with reliable electronics).

Even if you only need to enter a code to open the safe, there will be a key hole so the box can be opened if the batteries die. The type of key that is required should be difficult to copy and the lock as pick-proof as possible.

May 29, 2006
I've seen digital safes at electronic stores. I think they'd have the sense to make it so you can replace the batteries without opening the safe. On Amazon, they range from $80-$130. I think you can get Amazon to deliver to the DR, but other folks know more about this.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I've seen digital safes at electronic stores. I think they'd have the sense to make it so you can replace the batteries without opening the safe. On Amazon, they range from $80-$130. I think you can get Amazon to deliver to the DR, but other folks know more about this.

Yes, Amazon has them. My friend checked that out before asking for help. If sent by EPS, the $100 safe would cost an additional $185 in shipping charges. He would rather put the money into a really good small safe if one is available here.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Available at Ferreteria Americana & La Innovacion as well as other such place I am sure.

g'luck

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Ocoha sells many different sizes as you describe. (Key and/or digital lock combo operation)

PriceSmart may still have some of the small ones.

D in Santiago

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I know safes are readily available and I have had experience with some of them. But I am looking for one that is both secure and reliable. There was one in Puerto Plata that looked good, required both a key and code, and several people got them, but them the electronics failed on almost all of them. The supplier took them back but doesn't have an improved model.

I know of others purchased here that were easy to pick. They are more comfort to the owner than protection from a ladron. Lots of videos on YouTube on how to pick a safe.

What is being looked for is a safe that is both a comfort and protection.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
.......... What is being looked for is a safe that is both a comfort and protection.
That would be to install it in a camouflaged location, such as a false wall or hidden compartment.

It will never be a "comfort" as long as others know you have one,
........ and it will only provide "protection" from "family" and "friends".

A small safe could easily be taken by a ladrone and opened later.
A crowbar will easily rip one loose that is bolted in place.

If your "Friend" gets one, advise him not to throw the empty box away in his local trash.
Tear up the box, put it in a bag and get rid of it at a trash can in another location, such as a mall, etc.

Purchase from a store where you are not known, if possible.
Lot's of prying eyes in this country.

D in Santiago

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
DITTO post # 7...
It's common sense but sometimes we forget.

If your "Friend" gets one, advise him not to throw the empty box away in his local trash.
Tear up the box, put it in a bag and get rid of it at a trash can in another location, such as a mall, etc.

Purchase from a store where you are not known, if possible.
Lot's of prying eyes in this country.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I have one that was part of my furniture/appliance package ... small and mounted to the wall in a closet. As others have said, I'm sure they are readily available. I agree a good heave with a decent sized pry bar would pull it off the wall ... and could easily be broken into later. These things won't stop a "pro", but will prevent crimes of opportunity by service people, maids, and the "friends" you THOUGHT you knew.

A more secure option might be the "safes" camouflaged as common household items... cans of coke, books, etc. Hidden in plain sight. Of course there's the time-honored tradition of hiding valuables/money in the "cookie jar".

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ochoa has them and so does Funcional (on the upper part of Beller street, just in back of the Jiffy Lube place on Juan Pablo Duarte and Beller. The owner is Teddy Amor...he knows safes...

Bellon also has safes.

HB

May 29, 2006
I have one that was part of my furniture/appliance package ... small and mounted to the wall in a closet. As others have said, I'm sure they are readily available. I agree a good heave with a decent sized pry bar would pull it off the wall ... and could easily be broken into later. These things won't stop a "pro", but will prevent crimes of opportunity by service people, maids, and the "friends" you THOUGHT you knew.

A more secure option might be the "safes" camouflaged as common household items... cans of coke, books, etc. Hidden in plain sight. Of course there's the time-honored tradition of hiding valuables/money in the "cookie jar".

My favorite of these is the kind that replaces a standard outlet box:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Your-Own-Secret-Hidden-Safe!-For-Under-$2/

Last edited:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I bought mine at Pricemart about 5 months ago. Uses a code and has a bypass key. Also comes with holes in the bottom and screws. I put it in the bottom of my closet where it doesn't take up much space and would require some effort to remove. It's large enough to fit in all my documents, digital camera, jewelery and still plenty of room left over.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Having a safe gives the appearance that you have it full of valuables. Housekeepers, and others who become aware of the safe can pass the information along to thieves. I would not want to be tortured to open it and when it has nothing of real value be facing highly disappointed thieves. Put it in a bank safe deposit and avoid problems. This is not living in the US. Its different here. Many houses are robbed by thieves who have inside information given to them by workmen, disgruntled housekeepers, ex girlfriends etc. Having a safe makes you a target. jmo.