from san juan de la maguana to Constanza

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
is it possible to get from the road leading to San juan de la maguana ( number 2 I think) to Constanza by guagua but not by going back to the capitalor even Azua?> I want to keep going in the same directioon and not double back.....? like maybe passing over the mountains>>.? seems so much more interesting to try to do the route going back on myself.... just wondering,,...

dom

Jun 1, 2011
i would have the same question, maybe someone know now, 5 years later !

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I don't see how. I was on highway 41 many years back and it was more like a goat path past SJ de Ocoa

Frank would know.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I made the trip over the mountains from SJDO to Constanza...It's not for the faint of heart. Beautiful, but the "road" becomes more a path in certain parts and so muddy and deep that you'd need at least a 4x4 to cross. No buses make that trip that I know of.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I did the drive from Constanza to Padre las casas and then on to San Juan de la Maguana. It is a rough and at times almost too narrow road for my truck. In spots I had to use the 4 X 4.
It is some of the beautiful part of the country I have seen and the people were the nicest I have met. It was about 4 hours of bumpy driving. My brother and I were never so happy to see asphalt (and a Colmado).
I am happy I did it but don't have any plans for a repeat trip (at least not any time soon).

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
..and if you ever make that trip over the mountains make sure you have enough gas to last you for at least a 4-5 hour drive at a snail's pace for sure. I would do it again as I love that kind of adventure, but would be a little bit more prepared next time.

kts78

Nov 29, 2007
I know of at least 3 routes through the mountains to Constanza. The simplest (and longest) by truck is to make a left after the new bridge past Padre Las Casas and go up toward Las Lagunas. This route is easily passable by truck-- they have installed concrete bridges over the largest rivers that need crossed. I was just through this route on motorcycle the end of Jan and the road was about as good as I've ever seen it.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Actually Motorcycle (Motocross type) is the way to go if you're going to do this. Unfortunately I have a fear of seeing myself splattered all over the pavement so I'd rather ride on four wheels.

kts78

Nov 29, 2007
That is correct. We always ride through the mountains on motorcycle not rucks.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
The OP and post 2 are looking for a guagua over the hills without going back via SD. I can't see it being possible.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I took that route in a Chevy Spark and only got stuck once due to some amazing driving skill. We did Not fill up in SJdeO. Mistake. We got to the top and the gauge was on E. So we flagged a passing guy on a moto and he was kind enough to drain his tank of 4 Grande bottles without which we would not have made it to Constanza. So we get to Constanza just as the first Petrol station is closing. Made it to the next one on fumes.
Gave the moto 500 Pesos, a pint of rum and a turkey sandwich. He was happy to assist.

..and if you ever make that trip over the mountains make sure you have enough gas to last you for at least a 4-5 hour drive at a snail's pace for sure. I would do it again as I love that kind of adventure, but would be a little bit more prepared next time.

kts78

Nov 29, 2007
The road from SJdeO up through Valle Nuevo to Constanza is a much nicer road than any that leave from route 2 , but still no guagua.