Metro Bus went into a house in Puerto Plata

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
Was driving by Metro station, maybe around 7:30 pm or so when saw a small explosion and then the lights all went out... wasn't sure what is was and then heard that the bus in the Metro parking lot (on Beller) had malfunctioning brakes. the bus went right into the house across from the parking lot killing at least one man in the house. The entire front of the house was caved in and destroyed, from what we could tell when we drove by on our way back home.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Hmmmm, all those that were touting the virtues of Metro after the Caribe Tours crash last week are silent.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Air brakes are designed to apply themselves if they lose pressure. The air pressure keeps the brakes off. This just does not happen but is the first excuse drivers come up with when they are at fault. Those buses fly down the highways at very unsafe speeds. Coming down the mountain into Puerto Plata they run at least 80-85 MPH. The way they are driven accidents are inevitable. Take the local Transporte Cibao. It is much slower and makes a lot of stops but gets there in about the same time. But it gets there. Metro and Caribe tour buses scare me to death. Of the two, Metro, is the lesser of evils as they have seat belts which might save your life unless they go over one of the many cliffs.

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
Putting things into perspective, Metro Bus is simply implementing the door to door service. They just have to teak some things not to kill anyone in the process. :)

I apologize for my lack of sensitivity in such a tragedy, since at least one person perished in the accident. :(

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
Agree with you 100%. I have no experience with Transporte Cibao but both Metro and Caribetours drive like hell.
For instance : As more or less everybody in this country

SowahAkai

Jan 20, 2011
Air brakes are designed to apply themselves if they lose pressure. The air pressure keeps the brakes off. This just does not happen but is the first excuse drivers come up with when they are at fault. Those buses fly down the highways at very unsafe speeds. Coming down the mountain into Puerto Plata they run at least 80-85 MPH. The way they are driven accidents are inevitable. Take the local Transporte Cibao. It is much slower and makes a lot of stops but gets there in about the same time. But it gets there. Metro and Caribe tour buses scare me to death. Of the two, Metro, is the lesser of evils as they have seat belts which might save your life unless they go over one of the many cliffs.

Can you post the contact information or location for Transporte Cibao?

tomat

Oct 11, 2011
Well, if you think that Metro and Caribe Tours drive like crazy, try the Expreso Vegano...

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Transporte Cibao leaves from Sosua at the light in Charamicos. They have a small office right next to the Caribe Tours office.
It leaves at 3:30 am, 12:30 pm, and 3:30pm. They go to Santo Domingo via Santiago of course. Not sure where they end up in SD. Its a fun ride if you want to rub elbows with the locals and you are not likely to get killed. Their drivers have been with the company for years and years and know every bump in the road. If you stop in the Charamicos office they will tell you more about where they go in SD or perhaps one of our other poster has more info. They go slow and make a lot of stops but get to SD in the same amount of time as they do not stop and wait a while in Santiago. Its much safer than the other two.