Car Rental Company Never Charged My Friend

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
A friend of mine rented a car from a major rent a car company in July of last year at POP, and his credit card has not been charged as of yet. He gave his card and they swipe it. They even gave him a receipt stating that the rental was paid. Did he get a free rental? I told him to call the rental company, but he is afraid that they will charge him and then a few months from now, charge him again when someone picks up the error. Do you think he should just leave well enough alone. Will he picked up by immigration next time he comes into the country?

Driftwood

Feb 7, 2012
A friend of mine rented a car from a major rent a car company in July of last year at POP, and his credit card has not been charged as of yet. He gave his card and they swipe it. They even gave him a receipt stating that the rental was paid. Did he get a free rental? I told him to call the rental company, but he is afraid that they will charge him and then a few months from now, charge him again when someone picks up the error. Do you think he should just leave well enough alone. Will he picked up by immigration next time he comes into the country?

They can not charge him now, legally after 28 days, rental agreements and payments only stand for this 28 days unless a dispute is taken against, in this case it is not!
He had a free car!

Ex; Avis employee

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I had 4 free air tix one time. Detroit to San Francisco..... United took too long to process the charge and it became an invalid charge. My bank educated me on that.

Our ex-Avis person says 28 days rules the roost in the car rental business.

Try Cheap Car Rentals - AutoSlash . Its a new car rental search site

Feb 7, 2007
Simply cancel the card. they cannot pick up an authorization (pre-authorization) after 30 days. they would need a new authorization which they will not get if the card is cancelled. Don't call anyone just the bank to report the card lost, then they send him a replacement card and he's all set. Free rental.