Techy internet question - help!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
i have a Banda ancha Claro stick that works stuck into my usb port. Wanted a fixed line but apparently is not possible say Claro. So more people in the house want internet and at the minute we have to share stick - not ideal. I know I can have a Banda Ancha wireless modem but that means signing an 18 month contract which I would rather not do. So I have a Cisco wireless modem which i thought i could use to deliver internet to everyone wirelessly by either plugging claro stick into it - it has a usb port - or by plugging it into my computer to pick up signal from the stick when it is plugged into my laptop.

With stick plugged into wifi box everything works, stick picks up signal but usually when it is plugged into my machine a programme comes up and you click connect. When plugged into wifi there is no programme. If I open programme it says no signal but I can see that there is a signal as the light is blue.

If stick plugged into computer all fine, can pick up wifi but no internet - just on my machine. Have tried connecting my machine to router with lan cable, telephone cable - nothing works.

All I need is someway for the modem to see the internet on my machine instead of the usual phone cable, or a way to be able to press connect when the stick is in the modem.

Any one any ideas please? Am sure it just means pushing a button somewhere just dont know which button and where lol.

Matilda

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
This may not be the best solution but it is one that will work. Plug you Claro USB modem into your laptop. Go to control panel, networks,,,,,,,,,,,,set up an "ad hoc" network.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Any one any ideas please? Am sure it just means pushing a button somewhere just dont know which button and where lol.

Matilda
What operating system are you using? If you are using a windows OS (xp or 7) you can enable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on the claro USB stick. Once ICS is enabled connect your wireless router to the ethernet port on the computer and configure it. All computers in the house will connect to the wireless router and share your internet connection. I have a similar setup working for quite some time now. I can help you set it up.

Please list the brand & model of the wireless router and the computer OS.

NotLurking

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
What operating system are you using? If you are using a windows OS (xp or 7) you can enable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on the claro USB stick. Once ICS is enabled connect your wireless router to the ethernet port on the computer and configure it. All computers in the house will connect to the wireless router and share your internet connection. I have a similar setup working for quite some time now. I can help you set it up.

Please list the brand & model of the wireless router and the computer OS.

NotLurking

Operating system is windows 7 32 bit. Wireless router is Cisco DDR2201 residential gateway and if you manage to help me get this working I owe you a rum or two.

Matilda

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Operating system is windows 7 32 bit. Wireless router is Cisco DDR2201 residential gateway and if you manage to help me get this working I owe you a rum or two.

Matilda
If the usb stick works in your laptop simply set up ad hoc network............

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
If the usb stick works in your laptop simply set up ad hoc network............

I did. It works. You are amazing and I have spent the last two years sharing my stick having no idea that I could do that without a modem. Why didn't I know this before??? A million thanks and I owe you a rum.

Matilda

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I did. It works. You are amazing and I have spent the last two years sharing my stick having no idea that I could do that without a modem. Why didn't I know this before??? A million thanks and I owe you a rum.

Matilda
Well to be honest I would have to pass that rum onto a poster on DR1. I don't remember who it was but someone posted this trick on DR1 several months ago. If I could remember who that poster was I would pass along the thanks.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Glad you got it up and working. I like to have a bit more control so I use ISC and a wireless router.

NotLurking
If you don't mind would you post how to set this up using Win7. I would imagine the range using a router would be greater than the ad hoc network.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Lindsay, I went for the 18 month deal and it works well.

That little stick drove me crazy (crazier?) as we have poor reception where I am. The new modem came with an antenna that we have way up in the air. Much better reception now.

Also CLARO has the triple play type of plan whereby you can group your TV, phone, cell, internet and get better pricing..... but you probably know that already.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
If you don't mind would you post how to set this up using Win7. I would imagine the range using a router would be greater than the ad hoc network.

Sure, no problem.

On windows 7 you'll need to enable ISC:
Using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)

A video illustrating the steps
Windows 7 Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) - YouTube

After ICS is up and running you need to configure the router. At this point I recommend that the wireless router be configured using the wireless interface it will make life much easier. DO NOT CONNECT ROUTER TO PC through am Ethernet cable yet.

In the router WAN setup select the option STATIC IP and configure the settings as follows:
IP = 192.168.0.10 (anything that isn't 192.168.0.1 but lets keep 192.168.0..10 for simplicity)
mask = 255.255.255.0
Gateway = 192.168.0.1
1st DNS 8.8.8.8 (google public 1st DNS)
2nd DNS 8.8.4.4 (google public 2nd DNS)

In the router LAN setup:
LAN IP 192.168.1.1
Enable DHCP server.

In wireless setup:
enable security wep/wap and input key, write it down you'll need it to configure wireless clients.

Change the routers default password to something secure you'll remember.

Note that most routers require you save setting every time you change a setting.

Now connect the ROUTER port of the wireless router to the ethernet port on the computer. Some routers require a crossover cable some don't. Try it with a regular cable first and ping the wireless router at 192.168.0.10 if you get a ping reply connect a wireless client to the router and open google.com. If google.com opens your all done. If google.com doesn't open check all your setting, post any question you may have here.

NotLurking

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Thanks Not lurking. Atm the simple solution is working like a charm but I may try the other solution too. WW I don't like being tied into 18 month contracts, my stick is now out of contract so I can change. I can't have the package as am tied into 18 month contract with Sky TV lol!

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
I was late. I had cancelled the contract paying the fine and went to fixed line. Now I have wifi modem, but the problem is the speed is very slow when i use with wifi and internet breaks very often, even when I sit next to the modem. So i am using the cord. The problem started only after few months of me using it. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It seems to me that the speed varies.

I cannot get a 'hardline' installed so I rely on the airwaves.
#1 The airwave system can be irregular
#2 The bandwidth seems to be irregular too. Strong and fast one minute, slow to unusable the next.

They tell me that they in the midst of converting the entire CLARO system to fiberoptics and therefore have transmission problems some days. I dunno.

SKYPE w/ video seems impossible - to me, thats a bandwidth issue.

I have no experience/knowledge about these techy things, so I just go w/ Flo
You remeber Flo, she ws one of the Supremes!!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Skype is fine with video for me but only after i went into - on the claro installation thingy - tools network utms only. Since then has been amazing and is fast and never cuts off. Blue signal all the time and never the slow green one.

Matilda