"La Bruja" has a new microphone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
My husband and I are snowbirds and reside in the DR for 4-5 months every year.
Last year when we arrived, we encountered a new religeous congregation in a small barrio behind our condo in Cabarete. It was Hell! They imported an amplified system to preach and pray to about 10 to 15 people. I think this could have been heard in Puerto Plata. I could have sworn they were doing Voodoo, because the preacher and la Bruja were getting themselves into a state that was not natural to me and gave me bad vibes.
This year when we got here, things were fine, they abandoned the amplification and had moved the services inside a hut. No amplification, just preaching and praying in a normal voice. Great!
This morning, I woke up to "la bruja" at 6 am. Prayers, chanting....AMPLIFIED!

Just wondering, if any of you have had similar experiences and how you deal with it.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Religious "Culture"

This year when we got here, things were fine, they abandoned the amplification and had moved the services inside a hut. No amplification, just preaching and praying in a normal voice. Great!

If you can't beat them, join them.... :cheeky:

donP

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You can file a suit with the Ministerio del Medio Ambiente. This is contamination, the same a the big speakers at colmadones and bars...

What the heck, worth a shot.

HB

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
Noise Pollution/ stalking/ defamation Law SUITS never work here. I don't see how u can go changing their belief system.

Just deal with it and quit complaining!!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Years ago while I was crossing the Sahara when a group of Whirling Dervishes camped right next to me. They had the whole desert but they had to move near me. All night long whey whirled and devished. Know what I did? I let them whirl and dervish.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
You have six options, from what I can tell:
1. Invest in a very large set of speakers that will drown theirs out.
2. Go talk to them and ask them not to blare at 6am.
3. Slip the local police a couple thousand pesos and ask them to deal with it.
4. Ignore it and start drinking early.
5. Find Jesus and join the party.
6. All of the above.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
get your own set of speakers and start blasting some death metal. i recommend a band called extreme noise terror. but cattle decapitation, sadistik exekution, dying fetus or vomit remnants should also do the trick.
tell the noisy neighbour you have been converted to satanism and are now looking for a suitable human sacrifice for the black mass. make him understand that lucifer would appreciate most an offering of a priest.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
My husband and I are snowbirds and reside in the DR for 4-5 months every year.
Last year when we arrived, we encountered a new religeous congregation in a small barrio behind our condo in Cabarete. It was Hell! They imported an amplified system to preach and pray to about 10 to 15 people. I think this could have been heard in Puerto Plata. I could have sworn they were doing Voodoo, because the preacher and la Bruja were getting themselves into a state that was not natural to me and gave me bad vibes.

Just wondering, if any of you have had similar experiences and how you deal with it.

This isn't all too uncommon here in the DR, especially in the DR and in the campo areas based on when I lived in Moca.

I also doubt this is satan worship but more than likely a branch of Christianity that values speaking in tongues and maybe they go a little overboard in their enthusiasm.

My advice is if you are a Christian you might let them know you are one too and ask them politely to turn the volume down.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
Thanks everybody for your great advice, but I will most definitely not join them. I talked to them last year about turning down the volume...no results. Talked to Politur....no results. Maybe I should have made a major contribution?

Well, I was away in Samana for a couple of days and guess what? This morning, at exactly 6 am, the rumble started there! The peacher talked himself into a frenzy and must have woken all of Samana up. It sounded like they were on the top of a mountain to blast this stuff down.
Ok, I think I will file this away under "Living in the Dominican Republic" and try to laugh about it. It still gives me the creeps though. LOL:paranoid:

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Try insanity: walk over there in your housecoat and give them the strangest look you can put on your face. Then look at all the other people around and ask them if you're the crazy one or if they are. At the very least, it will be fun.

And then shake your hand around and tell people you are making the sign against the evil eye because you think the preacher is possessed.

By the way, someone was doing that here in Bani this morning, but they turned off the p.a. system before I could get down there in my "flashing boxers", as I like to call them.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
hahaha, that would be a sight to see, but I think I am just not into that kind of action.
I did do the thing with the stereo speakers in my windows, blasting the Rolling Stones including "Sympathy with the Devil". I don't think they even heard it.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Hmm get yourself a bb gun and puncture their speakers..... Be careful do not be tempted to put one in the preachers eye.

With the cost of buying a BB gun in the D.R., you could purchase an entire outdoor audio system.

If one lived close enough and in the right spot, you could try a parabolic dish,
redirecting the sound from the speakers back to the microphone, thus causing feedback.

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
Every morning just minutes before 7 there's a guy walking by the bella vista area on a bull horn (he still got an hour to show up). It doesnt irritate me,, matter of fact i pray for him. I'd rather have him spreading the gospel than breaking into my apt

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Every morning just minutes before 7 there's a guy walking by the bella vista area on a bull horn (he still got an hour to show up). It doesnt irritate me,, matter of fact i pray for him. I'd rather have him spreading the gospel than breaking into my apt

Everyday the ladrone are robbing people in Santo Domingo,
... I'd rather have them rob people in Santo Domingo then rob people in Santiago!

At least one can defend them self from the ladrone!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.