Residents' records wiped out

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In this thread, Bok describes his experience of going to renew his permanent residency and finding that his records have been wiped out:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/117000-residency-renewal-problems.html

At the time I remember reading a news report about other people in this predicament, including the Colombian husband of a prominent businesswoman.

I have two questions:
How can people find out if they are affected? I have to renew mine in a couple of months time.

I understand that some people have had to take the medical examinations and pay for their residency all over again - how can this be justified when it was Migraci?n's error?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I found out only when I went to Migracion in Santiago to renew residency. Fortunately, my records were intact.
I suppose you could start by calling (809) 971-1333 which is the listed number for Migracion in Santiago.

I don't know how connected the JCE and Migracion are, but you can check the status of your cedula here:

Consultar C?dulas Extranjeros

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
In this thread, Bok describes his experience of going to renew his permanent residency and finding that his records have been wiped out:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/117000-residency-renewal-problems.html

At the time I remember reading a news report about other people in this predicament, including the Colombian husband of a prominent businesswoman.

I have two questions:
How can people find out if they are affected? I have to renew mine in a couple of months time.

I understand that some people have had to take the medical examinations and pay for their residency all over again - how can this be justified when it was Migraci?n's error?

Chiri, at that time Fabio said as of then none of his clients had had this problem, but if they had, he had the complete file in his office and could easily get the record restored. If you used a good lawyer for your residency, not one of the cheapos we sometimes here about on dr1, you should have no problem even if your records were lost.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Ken, unfortunately one of the people I know of who was affected is a client of Fabio's and he definitely did have to pay as described in the OP. I think my first step should be to contact my lawyer and ask her to find out for me.

Windeguy, my records would be in SD but I have no illusions about getting that sort of information via a phone call.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Clarification - he didn't have to pay the whole lawyer fee all over again, apart from what the lawyer charged for accompanying him on the day, but he did have to pay the fees to Migraci?n for a new residencia, including the medical exams.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Ken, unfortunately one of the people I know of who was affected is a client of Fabio's and he definitely did have to pay as described in the OP. I think my first step should be to contact my lawyer and ask her to find out for me.

Windeguy, my records would be in SD but I have no illusions about getting that sort of information via a phone call.

My records were in SD as well, but I renewed in Santiago. I do understand that doing anything on the phone here is difficult if not impossible.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My records were in SD as well, but I renewed in Santiago. I do understand that doing anything on the phone here is difficult if not impossible.
As I'm on the east coast it wouldn't make sense to go all the way to Santiago. BTW the c?dula check works for me but I don't think the two systems are connected.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
There appears to be a number of people in this situation. People are becoming aware only when they attempt to renewal.
It would be useful if people on DR1 that have this problem can post their Nationality, First letter of thier surname.

So far the following have this problem >

Canadian T

British R
British R

whereas

British H did not have a problem

Another suggestion is to bring it to the attention of your consular office and ask them through the Embassy to express concern about the situation in Immigration.

Attempting to do things one by one will not have any affect in my opinion and each individual can be picked off without it becoming a major issue for Immigration.

Please add to this thread as the more that is known about it , the more likely something might get resolved.

OLLY and the team

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
We need 1,000,000 signatures from dr1ers and march to the immigration office. I can get a bull horn :)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Clarification - he didn't have to pay the whole lawyer fee all over again, apart from what the lawyer charged for accompanying him on the day, but he did have to pay the fees to Migraci?n for a new residencia, including the medical exams.

Hopefully I won't get a bad surprise when I renew in 2013. But it is important to know that clients of Fabio's do not have to pay the lawyer for other than accompanying you to Immigraction. The firm has an office in Santo Dominigo so that fee would be much less than if the lawyer had to come from the North Coast.

Those who got a cheap lawyer to get residence probably will not be as "lucky".

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I was one of the lucky ones. Renewed at the end of 2011 without any problems.

Olly, Canadian P.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Hopefully I won't get a bad surprise when I renew in 2013. But it is important to know that clients of Fabio's do not have to pay the lawyer for other than accompanying you to Immigraction. The firm has an office in Santo Dominigo so that fee would be much less than if the lawyer had to come from the North Coast.

Those who got a cheap lawyer to get residence probably will not be as "lucky".
Is your point that it would be worse if you had to pay the US$1-2,000 in lawyers fees all over again? It would also be worse if they hit you repeatedly over the head with a hammer. IMO it is still a complete outrage to have to pay the Migraci?n fees and the medical tests all over again when it isn't your mistake.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Is your point that it would be worse if you had to pay the US$1-2,000 in lawyers fees all over again? It would also be worse if they hit you repeatedly over the head with a hammer. IMO it is still a complete outrage to have to pay the Migraci?n fees and the medical tests all over again when it isn't your mistake.

Chiri, relax. Certainly it is an outrage but venting on DR1 changes nothing. All I am saying is that it would be much worse if someone had to pay the lawyer to do it all over again and that I am glad I paid a little more to a responsible lawyer if I happen to be one of the unlucky ones.

I guess that I have lived in the DR long enough to adopt the Dominican attitude toward trials and tribulations they feel powerless to change.

Since only a few out of the total ex-pat population apparently are affected you might have trouble getting enough together to have a good tire burning session on some highway.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes I know, but this is something that may be possible to change. I don't mean tyre burning because expats don't vote so perhaps political pressure wouldn't work in this case. However, those of us who are married to Dominicans might have some leverage because our spouses do vote, so I'm curious to find out how it panned out for the husband of the business leader - I'm sure she didn't take it lying down.

Another tried and tested Dominican attitude would be to try and find someone with influence to sort it out. :D

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Hi Ken, Glad you didn't slash your wrists over Sosua News !
On the Residency I think this is more wide spread than you think. I know of a least 8 people who I am told have had this problem but by a third party so I did not include it.
The earlier thread seemed to indicate that there were a number at SD trying to renew with this problem.
With it involving different nationalities it will appear isolated as the Consuls probably dont talk to each other but it may be systematic and another method of wallet extraction.
I feel the only pressure tthat is likely to work is through the Consuls/Embassy route. The is always the News of the World if you are British or the Enquiror if US.

This is more widespread than you think Ken.

Olly and the team

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'm wondering if Immigracion at the airport is a test of the legitimacy of your residency. I went to and from the US in 2011, getting back long after we were first told about the problem and had no trouble entering. The immigracion officer in the booth checks your residency card, not your cedula,on his computer to, among other tihngs, verify that your residency is valid and you don't have to pay the tourist fee.

I may be wrong, but it seems to me if I were no longer in the computer that something would have been said when I entered the country at the end of September.

PS: I am sorry now I renewed for only 3 years and not for 5 or 10

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I don't think so, because the person I know who was affected travels in and out of the country frequently and had no inkling until he went to renew.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I don't think so, because the person I know who was affected travels in and out of the country frequently and had no inkling until he went to renew.

Not good news.

I'll be very interested to know whether your lawyer is able to determine before you go whether or not you are in the system. It would be even more of an outrage to go to Santo Domingo only to find you had a problem, then have to go back again with a lawyer to get it straightened out. Please let us know whether lawyers who assisted us in getting residency can find out whether their clients can renew without difficulty.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Has anyone here had any luck getting a permanent residency card? I keep hearing that if you have lived here for an extended amount of time, you can get a permanent card that does not need to be renewed.

The last time I renewed mine, I requested and got the 4 yr. card instead of the 2 yr, but I had to pay an additional amount for it.

Would be interesting to know... Although I'd be surprised the government would give up a chance to make more money off of the residencies.