On-demand propane hot water heater

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My husband installed the on-demand [tankless] propane hot water heater that we bought on Ebay yesterday. WOW. Thank goodness we tested it before he closed up the wall, because the water was so hot that it puffed out one of the plastic connector pipes. [He went to the ferreteria and replaced it all with metal]

Took a delicious warm shower today, we had to turn down the heat setting for the water. It came almost instantly, maybe 5-10 seconds after turning on the hot spigot.

Anyone on the fence about buying one, do it! I posted in another thread the listing from EBay, company in Miami.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Thanks! Was waiting for your review, lol. Im lazy so can you post the link to the ebay listing? Thats the one that doesn't require an exhaust vent right? What size gas tank are you using?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
I got tired of replacing electric hot water tanks and had an electric hot water on demand system. It was one the best things I have done. It saves electricity and aggravation in the long run. Have had it now for about a year and a have and would recommend to anyone.

S

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Also, did your husband install the unit inside or outside the home? THanks!

He installed it inside the house on an exterior wall, in the bedroom right next to the bathroom. The house is empty for months at a time, so outside is not an option. The propane tank is outside, we bought a 50 pound tank locally for $2500 pesos.

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
The Takagi unit I bought on Ebay and had installed has been running without a hiccup for about a year and a half now. Want to get another one in [without getting raped by aduanas] for the campo house.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
He installed it inside the house on an exterior wall, in the bedroom right next to the bathroom. The house is empty for months at a time, so outside is not an option. The propane tank is outside, we bought a 50 pound tank locally for $2500 pesos.

Awesome! Please update us on how long that 50lbs gas last you. Enjoy your nice warm showers :).

Gdeleon

Sep 26, 2011
Well I have been living with a tankless propane water heater for about 9 months now and would not recommend them for some situations. They may be great for small houses and/or infrequent usage, but if you are looking for a water heater for a large house with a lot of people using hot water in a normal USA fashion (enter the wrath of Pi2), you will probably be disappointed. They are very fickle machines and heavy use is not their forte. They require more maintenance than I am used to with water heaters and also use a lot of gas for such disappointing service.

I am getting ready to build a house in Santiago and had originally looked at the Noritz whole-house units as a possible option, but after my experiences in our apartment and a little research with plumbing contractors in the USA, I will use a gas fueled tank model instead. If I had a weekend house, however, I think they would be in their element and use one in that circumstance.

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Hiya,
We have bought one of these (in white) and will be getting it fitted in our apt. when we come down in May.
1.6 gpm SILVER LPG Gas Ventfree tankless gas water heater No flue required
Will post what the results are regarding flow rate/temperature/propane use when all is working properly.
Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We have 2 tankless propane water heaters for the bathrooms. One runs just our showers and the other services 2 bathrooms.
Both work fine and have for 3 years (EVO brand).. they were bought here.

The run to the kitchen was too far for the hot water , so I bought and installed a small ( 6 gal) tank style propane fired system. I got it at an RV place... camper trailer type.

The little tank services the kitchen and is enough to use the dishwasher when we want. That hot water does a better job of sanitizing the dishes every now and then IMO.

It has a pilot light - not a DD battery ignition.

I don't have any other DD's in the house and didn't want to start something...:cry:

Chesty Morgan hasn't visited in a while..........