Moving 2nd half 2012

DavidVL

Feb 20, 2012
Hi all,

I've been reading DR1 forums for quite some time now but never participated.

For as long as I can remember I wanted to leave my home country, Belgium. The weather, the governments (4 I think?), taxes (you don't even want to know :)), the lax justice system, ... And it's only going to get worse I think so I'd better get out while I can :)

Now that I've turned 30 I decided it's time to make the change :)

I spent 2 weeks in an all-in resort in Punta Cana in 2007, and last January, I spent almost 5 weeks in Santo Domingo. Went to school in the morning to study spanish and in the afternoon free to discover the city. Spent a night in Santiago too. I only know basic Spanish (The verb forms are the most difficult part for me) but my English is excellent.
My income will be based on stuff I can do through the internet so I don't need to look for a job, just need a decent connection and from what I can see Orange/Claro etc have decent 3G connections available.

I'm not so much of a city person and I want to have a pool and be close to the beach so my first destination will be in the PP/Sosua/Cabarete region, not SD. Las Terrenas is tempting too but from what I can tell it's even smaller then Sosua and I'm afraid I'll get bored soon.
I Haven't decided yet which it will be, but I read Sosua has a Belgian bakery and a "frituur" which is nice for me of course :).

Thanks for listening
David

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
David:
I would highly recommend Las Terrenas. Of course, I am a bit one sided since I live here. It is a great beach community with a very large European community. There are over 3000 French, 1200 Italian, German, Swiss and just about all the other EU and North American countries. A single guy living here would definitely not be bored. You are less the 2 hours from SD and there is an airport 25 minutes away in El Catey(AZS) which has European Flights. Check out Noticias - Las Terrenas Live ! - Actualidades, V?deos e Informaciones de Las Terrenas en Rep?blica Dominicana. and LT7.com the local paper. Good luck

LTS

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi David, I am belgian too... I am in the south of France right now to work (I make TV documentaries) but will go to DR for quite the same reasons that you describe. I'm also hesitating between Cabarete / LT... :)