Leather recliner needs help!!!

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Purchased a beautiful leather recliner 2 years ago in Santiago for 36,000 pesos. After one year with normal usage, the leather started to fall apart. The leather surface has to be about a millionth of an inch thick, if that much. Being just out of warranty the store wouldn't do anything. I am looking to have it recovered by an expert preferrably in Santiago, so, if anyone knows of such a person, please let me know. I don't want a covering over the existing material, I would prefer the old totally removed and a new replacement.
Thanks in advance for any help......

B in Santiago

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
It's not real leather then.. I've been suckered into buying shoes like that.

Purchased from Comercial Low Price, C.por A. in Santiago.
All of there furniture is very expensive and SUPPOSEDLY the best quality in Santiago.
The manufacturer of this recliner is Ashley Furniture Industries out of Arcadia, Wisconsin, U.S.
The paperwork all states leather, which I believe it is,but the outer leather covering is thinner than carbon paper.
There is no way of knowing this when new and intact......
Would prefer a HEAVY vinyl covering.

B in Santiago

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Our leather sofa we brought from the States lasted about three years before we wore a hole in it. Much of it was due to the fact that we don't have air and I used to sit there at night sweating playing the xbox. We recently had it re-covered with a good cloth for RD6000. I understand that I could have gotten it for around RD5k. This should be a normal price for most parts here in Santiago.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
On the north coast there are several upholsterers so this should be fairly easy in Santiago. Since this is a vinyl application, it might be best to find someone who also does this for automobile interiors since they will have a lot of experience with that material.

May 5, 2007
Purchased a beautiful leather recliner 2 years ago in Santiago for 36,000 pesos. After one year with normal usage, the leather started to fall apart. The leather surface has to be about a millionth of an inch thick, if that much. Being just out of warranty the store wouldn't do anything. I am looking to have it recovered by an expert preferrably in Santiago, so, if anyone knows of such a person, please let me know. I don't want a covering over the existing material, I would prefer the old totally removed and a new replacement.
Thanks in advance for any help......

B in Santiago

I wouldn't waste my money. If they were that cheap in the upholstery you can be quite sure the frame work is not much better
Again posting reply that didn't answer the question :hurt:

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
The framework is working perfectly, that is the only reason I would even consider reupholstering.
Would anybody have actual contact info, I don't mind a fabric replacement as long as it is of excellent quality.

B in Santiago

May 29, 2006
Purchased from Comercial Low Price, C.por A. in Santiago.
All of there furniture is very expensive and SUPPOSEDLY the best quality in Santiago.
The manufacturer of this recliner is Ashley Furniture Industries out of Arcadia, Wisconsin, U.S.
The paperwork all states leather, which I believe it is,but the outer leather covering is thinner than carbon paper.
There is no way of knowing this when new and intact......
Would prefer a HEAVY vinyl covering.

B in Santiago

From their website:

"Leather Match upholstery features top-grain leather in the seating areas with skillfully matched vinyl everywhere else. The plush design of the "Dalton-Oak" rocker recliner offers comfort and style to any living room decor. This recliner features the comfort of scoop chaise seating with a divided back for lumbar support and plush pillow top arms to create a supportive comfortable seating area. With the stylish stitching details, this recliner fits comfortably into any living area. The "Dalton-Oak" rocker recliner is sure to add style and comfort to any home environment."

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
From their website: "Leather Match upholstery features top-grain leather in the seating areas with skillfully matched vinyl everywhere else. QUOTE]

Wouldn't doubt for a second........wouldn't even doubt if it was of second quality.....But I still need it recovered.

B in Santiago

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Peter, If you notice at the bottom of the page, there are * astericks * that pertain to SOME of the recliners being of a leather/vinyl mix.....not all, and not mine, at least that is what the model name on my paperwork says.

Ashley Furniture: Showroom

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I read a long time ago, beware of any statement that has an "asterisk" in it.

Only fools fall in Lve,
I Lve Bella Terra Mall

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
In SD,there are little furniture factories everywhere,and some just uppolstry shops too.Not in Santiago?
I have had lots of furniture re-upolstered.They do a great job.I would find a heavy damask fabric,not vinyl,Too sweaty.
I had "My Chair",re upolstered for 4,000 pesos,including a heavy fabric.Chose a darker fabric,with a design,doesn't show dirt as much.
CC