Electrical Outages??

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We're having a terrible time with electricity at our house, the entire neighborhood is up in arms. The electric doesn't stay on long enough to charge batteries fully, so now we have the generator running to charge them.

Some time ago someone posted a website where you can see the scheduled outages - is that available for Edensur? Anyone have a link?

Won't do any good to complain, but if we kind of know when it will go out we can try to plan around it.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Yesterday we had some problems but it was short but today they were out most of the day. I did see one of their trucks out here earlier in the day but not sure if they were fixing a line or not. "Planta" has been running most of the day.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
That brings back sooooo many memories... sleeping on the living room floor with the door open to catch a bit of breeze (that was until a 6 inch long cienpies came to visit me), sleeping in a hammock on the balcony while getting chewed up by mosquitos, arriving from work and finding my fridge had totally thawed and all my food had to be thrown out, the tv blowing up due to high voltage... Then people ask me why I live in Punta Cana! I feel for you!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If they destroy the electric meters, what can be done?

Did anyone see the article about the barrio that destroyed its new electric meters? It was posted a couple of days ago on the DR1 home page. The government made a huge mistake when they took over the electricity distribution and payments and turned electricity into an entitlement. The only solution is for the government to allow privatization by the electricity generators and then they can legally go after the huge number of people stealing power which is the chief thing responsible for the blackouts.

Here is the text of that post:

Residents destroy electricity meters
Story Text & Photos ? 2012 by DR1 Feb 17 2012 15:29PM
DR1 - Residents in the Cristo Rey sector of the capital have started to cut cables and destroy their electricity meters, which were installed by Edesur to change them from a fixed tariff to a metered one. Most residents said that they do not earn enough to pay between RD$2,000 and RD$3,000 pesos for electricity, because they are either on minimum salaries or have irregular incomes. The protests began with a march last Friday, February 10 and local residents have painted signs on their houses saying, "Say no to meters. We want fixed tariffs". Quoted in El Nacional, neighborhood group leader Sandalio Gutierrez confirmed that local residents were not refusing to pay, because they have always paid fixed charges of between 300 and 600 pesos a month. He said that these figures could be adjusted within the means of the majority. He said that if they paid electricity bills of RD$2,000 what would they have left to spend on food, and that in his 47 years of living there he has never received an electricity bill. Gutierrez complained that Edesur had installed cables, then meters and demanded that they sign contracts, which most had refused to sign, but had never sat down to talk with the residents. The community leader added that a group from the neighborhood committee had made several attempts to set up a meeting with Edesur, without success.

47 years without paying for electricity. Amazing.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
First:,"SOLAR" is a great idea,except,who is going to purchase,install,and then maintain the system?
Panals are not yet competitive,they cost a lot,but deliver VERY LITTLE energy.
Second:,"Cristo Rey:,is "Full-of-$hit"!
They have money for "Booze",celulares,"Tenis",fans,and some even have air conditioners in their "shacks"!
My barber,(Before I started cutting my own hair!)in "La Puya" de Arroyo Hondo,like most there,pays nothing,yet has TV,"Air",and two fans in his 10X10 foot shop!
Give ME a break!
CC

Miro

Feb 14, 2012
Matilda, I have a house behind the University in PP but live in Canada for now) and I've heard that the outages are terrible. It says on the website that we are in area C, 30% outages It shows that is what is happening even though we have 100% payment. Are you saying they lie about the time the power is actually out on the website?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Did anyone see the article about the barrio that destroyed its new electric meters? It was posted a couple of days ago on the DR1 home page. The government made a huge mistake when they took over the electricity distribution and payments and turned electricity into an entitlement. The only solution is for the government to allow privatization by the electricity generators and then they can legally go after the huge number of people stealing power which is the chief thing responsible for the blackouts.

Here is the text of that post:

Residents destroy electricity meters
Story Text & Photos ? 2012 by DR1 Feb 17 2012 15:29PM
DR1 - Residents in the Cristo Rey sector of the capital have started to cut cables and destroy their electricity meters, which were installed by Edesur to change them from a fixed tariff to a metered one. Most residents said that they do not earn enough to pay between RD$2,000 and RD$3,000 pesos for electricity, because they are either on minimum salaries or have irregular incomes. The protests began with a march last Friday, February 10 and local residents have painted signs on their houses saying, "Say no to meters. We want fixed tariffs". Quoted in El Nacional, neighborhood group leader Sandalio Gutierrez confirmed that local residents were not refusing to pay, because they have always paid fixed charges of between 300 and 600 pesos a month. He said that these figures could be adjusted within the means of the majority. He said that if they paid electricity bills of RD$2,000 what would they have left to spend on food, and that in his 47 years of living there he has never received an electricity bill. Gutierrez complained that Edesur had installed cables, then meters and demanded that they sign contracts, which most had refused to sign, but had never sat down to talk with the residents. The community leader added that a group from the neighborhood committee had made several attempts to set up a meeting with Edesur, without success.

47 years without paying for electricity. Amazing.

It doesn't say they don't pay, it says that they pay a fixed fee per month regardless of what they use. They pay, just probably a fraction of what the bill should be.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Matilda, I have a house behind the University in PP but live in Canada for now) and I've heard that the outages are terrible. It says on the website that we are in area C, 30% outages It shows that is what is happening even though we have 100% payment. Are you saying they lie about the time the power is actually out on the website?

The website shows the planned outtages for each day as blue lines and then a couple of days later they put pink lines on top to show actual outages. The pink lines almost always match the blue lines, even though the electricity has been off much longer.

Matilda

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It doesn't say they don't pay, it says that they pay a fixed fee per month regardless of what they use. They pay, just probably a fraction of what the bill should be.

From what the man said,

"He said that if they paid electricity bills of RD$2,000 what would they have left to spend on food, and that in his 47 years of living there he has never received an electricity bill"

If he never received an electricity bill in 47 years, why would he pay anything?

I understand that many of the houses were paying only a fraction of the money normally charged for what they used, but my comment was specifically about that man.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Would you buy a used car from "Edenorte"?????????
Then why would you "BUY" what they are "selling" in their newspaper announcements?
"How can you tell when a Dominican is lying"????????
CC

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
From what the man said,

"He said that if they paid electricity bills of RD$2,000 what would they have left to spend on food, and that in his 47 years of living there he has never received an electricity bill"

If he never received an electricity bill in 47 years, why would he pay anything?

I understand that many of the houses were paying only a fraction of the money normally charged for what they used, but my comment was specifically about that man.

Sorry I didn't explain myself properly. Many of those on fixed tariffs do not actually receive a bill. They just go and pay their fixed cost as it doesn't vary. I think that is what he meant when he said he had never had a bill. Plus in the barrios most people do not have bills as they have no addresses. Again you just go to the office with your cedula number and they tell you how much you owe. Bills are for people with meters is what I think he meant.

Matilda

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sorry I didn't explain myself properly. Many of those on fixed tariffs do not actually receive a bill. They just go and pay their fixed cost as it doesn't vary. I think that is what he meant when he said he had never had a bill. Plus in the barrios most people do not have bills as they have no addresses. Again you just go to the office with your cedula number and they tell you how much you owe. Bills are for people with meters is what I think he meant.

Matilda

Understood. My experience on with a family member who was on such a fixed plan was that even she did get a monthly bill to pay. That is in Jarabacoa.