Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Windmill installed.

So we shipped a marine-grade windmill down, and got it installed this past weekend. Our inverter guy came out to set it up to charge the batteries connected to our inverter.

Someone here on DR1 had warned that we needed quite a wind to move it, and they're right. So far it's spun around a few times [it rotates based on where the wind comes from], but no way is it spinning all day, not even close. We always have a brisk wind at the back of our house, but some gigantic mango trees [we think] on our neighbor's property might be blocking some of it.

Might have been an expensive experiment.

Administrator
    DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Does it state what the minimum wind speed is to start it up? The Chinese model we are looking at is one who needs very little wind to start up and stay running.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the amount of current it generates,according to wind speeds.
    When I did a little "searching",I found you need a big windmill to ge very little electricity.
    I live on top of a hill over looking SD.We have a lot of wind here.maybe you want to sell?
    CC

Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

What size is the windmill?

Unless it is quite big and high wattage, it will be useless.

I have a 400 watt Marine windmill,
    ... it looks nice and impresses the neighbors, but that's about all it does.

We have lots of wind here but over the 14+ years of using it, it does not spin as much as when we first installed it.

Back at the beginning it would really howl and could be heard quite loudly, but not any more.

It would not even keep one 12 volt car battery charged.
    I didn't know better at the time, but should have gotten a 24vdc model since my Inverter system is 24vdc. (Bought the Windmill before I bought the Inverter system)

D in Santiago

5. Likes Criss Colon liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Specs of the one we would consider buying once we found our spot :

Vertical wind mill
    Start up at wind speeds as from 0,2 km/h
    Goes to 10 Kwatt
    Hight of tower 9 M
    Very quite because of vertical rotation
    Price : 5500,00 US$ FOB from China

They claim they can ship it to the DR for under 300 US$...which I doubt lol

Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Acira View Post
    Specs of the one we would consider buying once we found our spot :

Vertical wind mill
    Start up at wind speeds as from 0,2 km/h
    Goes to 10 Kwatt
    Hight of tower 9 M
    Price : 5500,00 US$ FOB from China

They claim they can ship it to the DR for under 300 US$...which I doubt lol
    A few years ago, OchoA in Santiago was selling a really large windmill, each blade might have been about 6 feet long.

Now that one might have worked here at our place, forgot what the price was.

Kinda lost confidence in windmills after the experiences of the Marine one.

Another problem with windmills here are the neighborhood kids and their kites.
    Many times I had to remove the kite twine wrapped around the rotor shaft which kept the blades from turning.

One day up on the roof there was a very large collection of chopped bubble bees. lol

Only fools fall in Lve,
    I Lve Bella Terra Mall

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not want a horizontal wind mill just for the large blades and the height of the tower which makes it not very practical in use and maintenance. And all horizontal ones need more wind speed to start up.
    A vertical one is not to high, speeds up to 500rpm and can chop in an ecological way all your veggies...last part interesting maybe for pi

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I was probably the one that had warned people about windmills. My earlier posts on windmills and solar power were accidentally deleted in a clerical error on DR1 (about 2,000 posts in total). Sorry to see that the windmill is working as I expected.

Post Thanks / Like

Not to worry, you can always sell it to someone on a better wind path...maybe out East or Northeast...

Good going to even try it out down there...congratulations.

HB
    Moderator DR1.com

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, to answer some questions.

Ours is a 24V, as is our inverter. 400 Watt.

It's at the top of a 40' metal pole.

This morning it was whirring away, actually made a humming noise when it got going real fast.

I suppose time will tell if it does anything at all...... We got it to supplement the inverter, to help charge the batteries. Right now we're supplementing with a planta/generator.

Electric outages here have been outrageous this week - neighbors say it's been this way about 3-4 months.

Administrator
    DR1.com

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast