US Naval Station on Saona Island

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
US naval base in Saona?

On Saturday February 18, a representative from the Dominican left said that the United States was proposing to construct a military base on Saona Island. The official announcement is that it is a naval station, which the US is paying for.

Ivan Rodriguez, the General Secretary of the Revolutionary Alternative is quoted as saying in Hoy newspaper that groups from the left are planning to protest against the installation of the military base with other campaigning organizations.

He stated that the decision was ominous and unacceptable, saying that it was a plan for intervention and military control by the US.

According to Rear Admiral Nicolas Cabrera Arias, head of the navy, they are building a naval station and a jetty at a cost of US$1.5 million in order to look for drug traffickers, illegal journeys to Puerto Rico and to provide more security for tourists in the area.

The above is from DR1 news of the day. Should cause some stimulated responses. Drugs, Yolas and Security.

edm7583

May 29, 2007
A relatively paltry amount of foreign aid, and people talk like they are building the new Guant?namo. For one and a half million bucks they are building a relatively modest outpost (seriously, not counting the equipment cost, this will likely be little more than a shack with a dock next to it) with modern surveillance equipment so the Dominican navy can better police their own waters from drug and human trafficking. I'm sure it's more cost effective for the US to build a more modern outpost for the Dominican authorities to better patrol their own waters if it decreases the amount of illicit traffic that makes its way into U.S waters for the Coast Guard, CBP to patrol.

Much ado about nothing.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
The U.S. is shutting down bases all over the country, (U.S.), and across the world; and these Einsteins think we're building a base on Saona in order to militarily control the D.R. (which poses no threat at all)???? AND... for $1.5 million????? Laughable. The U.S. Navy couldn't give a big rat's patootie about interventions or control of the D.R. They have much bigger fish to fry in the Persian Gulf and other places.

Jul 4, 2010
The U.S. is shutting down bases all over the country, (U.S.), and across the world; and these Einsteins think we're building a base on Saona in order to militarily control the D.R. (which poses no threat at all)???? AND... for $1.5 million????? Laughable. The U.S. Navy couldn't give a big rat's patootie about interventions or control of the D.R. They have much bigger fish to fry in the Persian Gulf and other places.

It doesn't take much imagination to discern unsuspecting strategic reasons for controlling Saona island, more so now when the world is in the brink of WWIII with an eventual Israel-USA attack on Iran, considering that both Russia and China have vowed to defend that Persian country. But above all is the issue of legality. Saona island is a national park and Dominican environmental law prohibits such construction. But then, what does the US of A care about international law!

Jul 4, 2010
ALL IT TAKES IS A BOOT IN THE DOOR

US Military Bases in Latin America

ngq9tt.jpg

May 5, 2007
Been along time since USN has needed a "Boot in the door" (I'd say about 1944) since they launched Essex class Carriers they bring their own shoes where they might go

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It doesn't take much imagination to discern unsuspecting strategic reasons for controlling Saona island, more so now when the world is in the brink of WWIII with an eventual Israel-USA attack on Iran, considering that both Russia and China have vowed to defend that Persian country. But above all is the issue of legality. Saona island is a national park and Dominican environmental law prohibits such construction. But then, what does the US of A care about international law!

Correction. If the USA builds does build a Naval base on Saona Island, I suspect that the Dominican government actually might have to approve that base on DR soil. Then it would be the DR violating its own environmental law. Nothing new here about that.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv

Big shocker. Uninformed left wing drivel from a .edu address. Who would of thunk it? lol

You really think the US is building a base without knowledge and consent of DR govt? Would DR govt not know about their laws?

They are installing radar equipment to help DR Navy. . . . .. .how terrible. Go get your che t shirt out of the closet and join the protest. . . . lol. . .

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Guantanamo is only about 440 miles away as the crow (or FA-18) flies. And someone thinks the USN needs some crappy "naval base", (which isn't going to be much of a base for 1.5 mil) on SAONA??? Not likely.

May 5, 2007
The entire US Military is trending down into a leaner and faster moving force, a "base" is counter intuitive

I know this is going to irritate some but it's true: IF the US wants to make a point to a third world nation they simply run a Nimitz Class Battle Group into view, back off to over the horizon and say "OK, your move"

Rude but true

Jul 4, 2010
The entire US Military is trending down into a leaner and faster moving force, a "base" is counter intuitive

I know this is going to irritate some but it's true: IF the US wants to make a point to a third world nation they simply run a Nimitz Class Battle Group into view, back off to over the horizon and say "OK, your move"

Rude but true

The US has done that for ages, it's called 'gun boat diplomacy'. By the way, did you know that US military personnel have been granted total immunity from prosecution in the Dominican Republic?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
The Americans are coming, the Americans are coming. I'm thinking this is going to more like a CLUB FED. Tell me one thing, is this place going to be an all inclusive?

LTS

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
The US has done that for ages, it's called 'gun boat diplomacy'. By the way, did you know that US military personnel have been granted total immunity from prosecution in the Dominican Republic?

That sounds about fair. Many dominicans in the US illegally are granted immunity as well. US pays for their flight home and they are let go as soon as they hit the ground. They are now free to continue committing crime in the DR or emigrate to Spain and start gangs. . . . .

Name one case of a US Military committing a violent crime in DR and getting away with it and I will show you 100 deported Dominicans that did get away with a crime.

Then just for fun I will show you 100 Dominicans in the US that live in govt housing, pay for the food with food stamps or special card, but have built themselves a house back in STI or SDQ and visit 2-3 times a year with gifts for the family from nueva yol. . . . .

First politician that creates a bill proposing that people on welfare need to forfeit their passport while on welfare. . . gets my vote. . .

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Regime change in Venezuela the reason for US Naval base in DR?

I saw this at the following web site where the title jumps to the conclusion that the naval base has something to do with Venezuela and a regime change there:

Preparing for Venezuela: U.S. to build naval base in Dominican Republic - Another World Is Possible
02/21/12
Preparing for Venezuela: U.S. to build naval base in Dominican Republic

Santo Domingo.– Dominican Navy Chief of Staff Nicolas Cabrera announced yesterday that the U.S. Southern Command is planning to build a naval base and a deck in Catuano, in Saona Island, aimed at strengthening maritime surveillance in the Dominican East. - Vice Admiral Cabrera said the work will be coordinated through the delegation of the Military Assistance Advisory Group (MAAG) in the Dominican Republic. During the ceremony, U.S. Embassy Public Affairs advisor Todd Haskell, on behalf of ambassador Raul Yzaguirre, highlighted "the importance of building a naval base and a deck in such a vulnerable area of the Dominican Republic."

Anyone notice the Venezuelans massing to attack the DR? And from the East?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I think "Mother Nature" will make the "Regime Change" in Venezuela very soon.
"Chavez's "cancer" has returned.
"Thank You",Mother Nature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CC