la isabela to montecristi

dom

Jun 1, 2011
there is a road, that goes all the way from la isabela (luperon) towards montecristi, theres some rivers to cross from what i heard.

does anyone have more information about this road, how bad is it, how long will it approx. take to make the journey ?

thanks for any tips

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Good mountain bike or a diesel 4 x 4 could do it. I have heard that the road (made by Trujillo in case another invasion came) is better in some places than others...It would be interesting. I have not been on it for 35 or 40 years so my own recollection is not going to help you.

There are DR1 posters who live in Buen Hombre so it must have grown some since then.

HB

dominicangirl29

Apr 26, 2009
I remember taking that road some 7 or 8 years ago, very long drive. We crossed two or three rivers one of them being with enough water for us to get of the jeep and crossed it in a small boat and a guy crossed the vehicle over for us to the other side. I would recommend having a 4X4.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
From the little town of La Isabela, there are no rivers to ford. There is if you are in Luperon. But, as I posted, there is a new bridge at Ranchito...

But you said La Isabela.
Okay, if your are adventuresome you can take the road to Estero Hondo and continue straight. That road goes to El Papayo where you go to the left and up the hill. You come down in Cruce de Agua de Palma. There you would go to the right and take that road to Buen Hombre. From there I am not real sure but I think you need to go to the left and come out on the main highway, where you go right again.

Alternately, you can go from La Isabela south to El Mamey, up the mountain and down through the Paso de los Hidalgos, You come out on the Duarte Hwy at Cruce de Guayacanes and take a right. Follow your nose to Montecristi. Much easier drive.

When you get to El Mamey, you have to got to the right....if not, you end up in Guananico!! (I missed the turnoff one year and did that!!)

HB

dominicangirl29

Apr 26, 2009
You are probably right as I am sure you have done more traveling in the country than me. When we took that route it was indeed from Luperon maybe that's why we crossed the rivers.

Again, it's been a while so I can't recall everything.