Adoption problems

dreembot

Oct 23, 2006
I have problems with getting adoption finalized by my abogado in Puerto Plata. All papers have been completed and social services have visited my home. my lawyer says that everything is good. However it has been almost a year in progress and he told my wife the other day that it will not be finished until mayo. In our initial agreement I was told it would take only 90 days. I cannot understand why this is taking so long. I am a U.S. citizen receiving social security retirement benefits and my adopted children will be eligible to get "child's benefits" when the adoption is completed. Every day that this is delayed costs my children a lot of money that they need badly. Do you have any suggestions to motivate my lawyer to complete this process? What could possibly take this long????? Thank you for your help,gregorio.boyd@gmail.com

ving social security and my adopted children will get "children's benefits" from my retirement benefits. Every lawyer to complete this process???

day that this adoption is delayed costs my children money. Do you have any advice as to motivating my

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
If you expect your adopted children to receive "children's benefits", maybe somebody has raised the question of what your motivations are to adopt these children. Simply to increase the benefits paid?

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Fast adoptions are not the norm in this country. The waiting lists are years long and the paperwork and the legal hassles are huge. Be patient.

HB

dreembot

Oct 23, 2006
Fabio J. Guzman
Thank you for your reply. What is your estimate of the time involved? Let me state that I am married to the children's mother, who is a dominicana for three years and have been living here for five years. I believe that my application has been submitted and is complete. the children's father is not involved or even interested. Other members of our family are all in agreement.Thanks again for your help in this matter.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Does anyone else find it odd that you should be allowed to adopt children and the US taxpayer has to pay for them?
No disrespect to the OP I just find it odd that you should get a raise in your govt benefits to pay for some foreign nationals.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Does anyone else find it odd that you should be allowed to adopt children and the US taxpayer has to pay for them?
No disrespect to the OP I just find it odd that you should get a raise in your govt benefits to pay for some foreign nationals.

Once the adoption is final and they legally moved to the US the adoptive kids of US citizen will automatically become U.S. citizen.

USCIS - Citizenship Through Parents

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Have to say that I agree with Johnny on this.

Maybe an Obama person...get more dependents to vote for him???

This being so goody goody is costing the US taxpayer real money. And unless he is going to take the woman to the states, where is the payback?

Our good friend Texas Bill adopted three and took them to the States, where they have to sink or swim...the process took a couple of years. Adoption is no joke here.

HB

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I was going to say the SAME thing but then I knew coming from me it would've caused a ruckus, ending with someone accusing me of making every thread about ME.
Sooooo.... Thank you so much for bringing up this point.

Adopt 80 children, I don't give a sh*t. But I shouldn't have to pay for them. And as soon as I have a minute, I'll be calling the Social Security office to find out why I am.

SHALENA
American Taxpayer

jafo

Dec 16, 2006
Doesn't even have to be adopted , to receive benefits for children.

Just be married to the parent and put in the papers .

Good Old Uncle Sam will take care of them.
Depending on what the beneficiary receives the initial child gets some where in the area of $ 1000.00 per month .
Then it gets smaller for each of the following dependents .
Either way its a few thousand a month for three children.

WHAT A RACKET.

So much for the theory that if you sponsor someone and they go on the public dole , it has to be paid back.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
I believe for a child to recieve SS benefits they 1st need a SS#. Adopted children need to be living in the USA for this to happen ( with a few exceptions ). Since the OP posted in the DR legal section i am guessing he is living in the DR. He will need to get legal status for the children to collect a dime. I may be wrong but i am almost certain that he will have to move the family to the US OF A to get cash for his foreign nationals.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Shalena, do nt worry. Just found SS Publication 05-10137 which states " However, children adopted outside the United States will not be paid outside the United States, even if the residency requirement is met ".

BTW, step children are as qualified as adopted children. Wonder if he did his homework before spending all that money on a lawyer. And, did the adoption ever happen?

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
I was going to say the SAME thing but then I knew coming from me it would've caused a ruckus, ending with someone accusing me of making every thread about ME.
Sooooo.... Thank you so much for bringing up this point.

Adopt 80 children, I don't give a sh*t. But I shouldn't have to pay for them. And as soon as I have a minute, I'll be calling the Social Security office to find out why I am.

SHALENA
American Taxpayer

Y know shalena I kinda like it when you make it about u LOL..

I actually made several calls to my congresswoman about this today and I will report that jumbo is right. I further went on to say that I really dont agree with that someone should be allowed to adopt a child that they cannot pay for and normally they cannot. This was in collusion with the mother. Its not like a US citizen can walk into any third world country and start adopting children and the benefits will keep rising.

Last edited:

jafo

Dec 16, 2006
Not looking to stir the pot .

But there is another thread about adoption.

There is no limit to the number of ways that (some people not referring to anyone specific)will go to gain financially.

Regardless if they are the receiver or the provider of these benefits.
And people want to know why the USA SS administration is broken.

BTW had to ask a 19 year old what BTW was. Damn I'm getting old.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
There is an age limit imposed in the DR to adopt children. Above a certain age they will not allow you to adopt. I think it might be 60.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
90 days? Impossible! I am myself doing an adoption at the moment and I am here in the DR therefore considered a National adoption which usually goes faster. You can calculate at least a year if not more as they are many steps in the process; for example the first step is to visit a Psychologist for evolution which takes a while to get an apointment and receive the results (at least one month), another step is for the child to leave with you for 60 days while CONANI visit you to see how the child is adapting…so there goes another 2 months, and the list goes on! My neighbor is also adopting his wife’s kid here in DR and they have been in the process for a year now, so forget about the 90 days and get an honest lawyer! Good luck!