Thinking of using Fedx for US to DR? Think again!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Wanted to send a cell phone to a friend in Villaltagraccia.Went to Fedx office in Houston. $108 to send in their box. I could spend more if I wanted faster. Clerk said to try online as it was cheaper. To send international you have to join Fedx and set up an account. After all that the best deal I could get by going ground shipping
was $87 using my own box. Ah, maybe UPS. After joining and setting up an account UPS did not have Villaltagrassia on their list of available citys, plus the UPS shipping office was 16 miles away. Gave up and sent it using a friends shipping service. It takes two weeks and costs about $6. How do these companies get away with these rates? They should be wearing a mask and a gun because they are certainly thieves.
Learned my lesson.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Wanted to send a cell phone to a friend in Villaltagraccia.Went to Fedx office in Houston. $108 to send in their box. I could spend more if I wanted faster. Clerk said to try online as it was cheaper. To send international you have to join Fedx and set up an account. After all that the best deal I could get by going ground shippingwas $87 using my own box. Ah, maybe UPS. After joining and setting up an account UPS did not have Villaltagrassia on their list of available citys, plus the UPS shipping office was 16 miles away. Gave up and sent it using a friends shipping service. It takes two weeks and costs about $6. How do these companies get away with these rates? They should be wearing a mask and a gun because they are certainly thieves.
Learned my lesson.

The ground shipping might have been a little bit of a problem........

Jet fuel, and over inflated, and urealistic profit margins would be my guess......

I like the $6.00 price from your friends shipping service, how was it shipped?...rowboat?.....and then a Mule?.....glad it worked out........

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sounds like they just used TransExpress, EPS or one of their other competitors to have it shipped. Using TransExpress I normally get things in the DR two days after they arrive in Florida.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
With the shipping service the phone will take about two weeks to get there. Even sending it to Miami from Houston was $10.
I must be getting old. These seem like high prices to me. And, how can they ship it "ground" over water? Is there such a thing as a mail boat these days? Maybe we should start a service to DR members and take stuff back and forth for each other. We members cannot all be like my wife who goes down overloaded and comes back double over loaded.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I bought a cell phone from this place in China that shipped the phone here via EPS for nothing. The phone was less than the price of shipping that they wanted from the OP.

eBay: coolbuy900

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I don't think any shipping company will find villaltagracia in their system....Next time try Villa Altagracia

Feb 7, 2007
Here in Higuey it costs RD$155 to get a cellphone and it's here 2 days after it arrives in Miami. I have bought several phones, online and on ebay, and none has weighted more than 1 pound for the whole box with accessories.

Feb 7, 2007
Oh...and I paid over 5000 pesos at the EPS/Metropack Higuey thieves back in November to ship back and forth envelope with UPS to Mexico to the Embassy. Online price was US$39 each way, which is less than RD$3800 round trip. The EPS/Metropack thieves charged me 5000+ pesos because of "tax" (I already see them paying it) and their "profit" (which they already have regardless because they have negotiated prices, about 10-15% less than official rate). I could not buy online because I would need DR UPS account for that which I did no have at the time, and it would not accept US account # for UPS to ship from DR to Mexico.

FredBlogs

Jun 18, 2009
I recently used Fedex to ship an item from the US to the DR, the cost was $90. Pricey? Yes, but included in that price is the peace of mind that the item would arrive and that in the slim chance that it did not, the item was covered by insurance.
Needless to say it did arrive at the place stated on the day stated. I would use Fedex again.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
We always used "FedEx" for shipping medicine,and med. supplies from USA to SD.NEVER had any problems.
Maybe it matters where,what,and from whom you are shipping.
Used the sercice,"both ways",they picked up and delivered to the SD hospital where I worked for 10 years.
CC