Documentary!

Nino224

Feb 9, 2009
Mi gente!

It's called a "crowd-funding" campaign, and the purpose is to collect funds from the public for a particular project. In our case it's a documentary about environmental pollution in Haina, in our dear island. Check us out, watch the trailer, tweet, post on FB, tell your friends, (hopefully donate) and let us know what you think. Gracias!

Haina: City of Poison -- IndieGoGo

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
hi Nino, i am journalist and documentary maker. I work for various french tv channels. I'm in the south of France at the moment to work but will be moving to DR in a few months. I just watched your demo and I find it very professionnal and interesting. The "funny" thing is I'm currently working on a doc about the consequences of pollution on poeple's health.
So I perfectly understand your point. What are you goals? Where do you wish to broadcast your doc? :)

Nino224

Feb 9, 2009
Hi Viajero,
Our immediate goal is to be able to finance another shoot! When we finish we hope to start with festivals, in particular eco-themed fests like Barcelona. Hopefully after a successful fest run we can get on public TV in areas with heavy Dominican populations. It's about the message and spreading it to as many of our people as possible.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Hi Nino... yes, definitely an issue.. I think that most of us here in SD know about Haina. But I think that undelying contamination is from an old battery manufacturing plant. Certainly folks should not live there -- but they do. Now. I would ask you.. have you got a fix for it? Is there some sort of plant that EATS lead out of the soil, for instance?

In other words. are you going to help?

because otherwise you are just going to get more folks upset and have all this international railing about the horrible conditions in the impoverished Dominican Republic

I do not think that there is any industrial place in the world that is not contaminated.....

I think that there is a special tomato that eats heavy metals..

so please, yes, get back to us with a fix!

Nino224

Feb 9, 2009
Hi Nino... yes, definitely an issue.. I think that most of us here in SD know about Haina. But I think that undelying contamination is from an old battery manufacturing plant. Certainly folks should not live there -- but they do. Now. I would ask you.. have you got a fix for it? Is there some sort of plant that EATS lead out of the soil, for instance?

In other words. are you going to help?

because otherwise you are just going to get more folks upset and have all this international railing about the horrible conditions in the impoverished Dominican Republic

I do not think that there is any industrial place in the world that is not contaminated.....

I think that there is a special tomato that eats heavy metals..

so please, yes, get back to us with a fix!

Mountainannie,
If I'm reading this correctly you're saying that since a solution is, at the very least, extremely difficult, if not improbable, we shouldn't talk about it. Is that correct? "Tapando el sol con el dedo," as they say.

Luckily for Haina, most people don't think like that. A lot of smart and dedicated people have given their blood, sweat and tears to remedy the situation and reverse the damage done in Haina. That's what the documentary is about: How poor, disenfranchised people with nothing but their dignity stood up to corruption and apathy, AND ARE WINNING!!
1. The contaminated soil that poisoned so many children has been removed, and where the plant used to be there is now a LEAD-FREE park and playground.
2. A group of young Dominicans, the first graduate and doctoral level environmentalists in the country's history, are on the ground in Haina fighting the good fight.
Those are just some of the things that have taken place since the horror of Metaloxa. If you had read more carefully you would've known that's what our film is about: The good that some selfless and dedicated Dominicans have done, not what's bad about DR.

It can't all be Punta Cana and Merengue. Sticking our heads in the sand isn't going to help anybody. If we can tell the story of how a few passionate people have done so much good where there was so much bad, we send a powerful message to future generations of Dominicans about how they too can make a difference.

That's our hope anyway.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Mountainannie,
If I'm reading this correctly you're saying that since a solution is, at the very least, extremely difficult, if not improbable, we shouldn't talk about it. Is that correct? "Tapando el sol con el dedo," as they say.

Luckily for Haina, most people don't think like that. A lot of smart and dedicated people have given their blood, sweat and tears to remedy the situation and reverse the damage done in Haina. That's what the documentary is about: How poor, disenfranchised people with nothing but their dignity stood up to corruption and apathy, AND ARE WINNING!!
1. The contaminated soil that poisoned so many children has been removed, and where the plant used to be there is now a LEAD-FREE park and playground.
2. A group of young Dominicans, the first graduate and doctoral level environmentalists in the country's history, are on the ground in Haina fighting the good fight.
Those are just some of the things that have taken place since the horror of Metaloxa. If you had read more carefully you would've known that's what our film is about: The good that some selfless and dedicated Dominicans have done, not what's bad about DR.

It can't all be Punta Cana and Merengue. Sticking our heads in the sand isn't going to help anybody. If we can tell the story of how a few passionate people have done so much good where there was so much bad, we send a powerful message to future generations of Dominicans about how they too can make a difference.

That's our hope anyway.

Great answer -- I did not know that there had been anything done. The clip I watched just seemed to be about the issue, nor did your first pitch.

I would address the issue to the Dominican Groups at Yahoo.com, whose moderater, Michele Wucker, wrote Where the Cock's Fight - she may be able to find you some funding.. there are about 600 followers of the group mostly academics.

good luck

Nino224

Feb 9, 2009
Great answer -- I did not know that there had been anything done. The clip I watched just seemed to be about the issue, nor did your first pitch.

I would address the issue to the Dominican Groups at Yahoo.com, whose moderater, Michele Wucker, wrote Where the Cock's Fight - she may be able to find you some funding.. there are about 600 followers of the group mostly academics.

good luck
The hardest part of this is reaching the people you want to reach, and that group sounds exactly like who we want.
That's what's great about these forums: sharing, learning and growing. I'd heard about the book, but not the Yahoo group. Thanks for the tip!

Nino224

Feb 9, 2009

good luck
I went through a couple hundred groups and didn't find it. Do they have a name?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
dominican at yahoogroups.com

the group has not been that active recently since one of the major posters moved away.. but you might perhaps address yourself directly to Michele Wucker -- who is her own dot com.. --- she may be able to put you in touch with folks. Have you pitched it to the Dominican Studies at CCNY? They are on that list serv as well...

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I'm trying to understand, and am where MAnnie started. You are asking for funds to make a movie? Or are asking foir funds to help alleviate the problem? Alleviating problems I am into. Making movies is fun maybe, but I'm not interested in that.
Thanks
Der Fish

My understanding -- as of now--- although I certainly could be wrong and it would not be the first time

is that they want to make a movie about how the place was .. at least partially .. cleaned up!

now that might be very useful for others to know about .. and encouraging for self esteem.. and something that young Dominicans -- particularly in the diaspora-- might find inspiring..

I was concerned at first that it was going to be just a

omg look at this, this is horrible movie

but they came back and said that there were indeed solutions which had been put in place

and i had not heard anything about this