Santo Domingo Schools

kattan

Feb 22, 2012
Hi all,
My family and I are planning to move to Santo Domingo in 6-8 months. We're looking for a bilingual school for my 4 year old son (pre-K, will be 5 in November). He's very rambunctious and has been attending a Montessori style school for the past 2 years. He also doesn't speak Spanish. So, we're hoping to find a nurturing environment that would fit his learning style and help him learn Spanish. I've read about New Horizons,
Brilliant Minds, and Carla Morgan on other threads. What are your thoughts on these schools? Do you know of
any Montessori schools? Other suggestions welcome.

Also, when does the school year start/end for kids in the DR? Trying to figure out when to enroll him.

I also have a 1 1/2 year old daughter. Should we consider daycare or a nanny for her? Any recommendations for daycares that take 1 1/2 year olds?

Many thanks,
Kathrine

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It really depends where you're going to be living in Santo Domingo - it's a large city with a serious traffic congestion problem so I wouldn't choose Carol Morgan if I was going to living in, say, Arroyo Hondo. There are several Montessori's, the best bilingual ones being in the central area (Julieta, Evaristo Morales). School starts in mid-late August. Lots of daycare places take children your daughter's age. Again, location is key to any decision/recommendation.

kattan

Feb 22, 2012
Thanks! Unfortunately, we don't have a good idea yet of where we will live. Our housing will be assigned to us by the US Embassy. We're trying to get info now on the general areas where embassy employees live. In the meantime, we're going to be in Santo Domingo the week of March 12th for work-related issues and to check out schools. I hear that registration for schools takes place around this time of year -- is that right?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
LOTS of 'embass types' in the "Las Cacicasgos" area. Calles Sarasota,and Enriquillo are there.Lots of high end houses,big high rises,and some luxery hotels.(The hotels usually have "Club" facilities you will enjoy,pool,tennis,bsketball courts.swimming lessons,summer "camps"). A fairly safe area of Danto Domingo.Carol Morgan is there as well.Carol might be a good choice.Other diplomats send their kids there.Cost is high,but not as much in the primary grades.I'm sure the US foreign Service pays enough to send your kids to the best schools,so "why not"? Dominican schools require a big deposit to reserve a "spot" for your students in next August.Usually must be paid in March,or April.Don't worry,they will gladly take your deposit "early".
Cris Colon

rh8371

Nov 5, 2008
Hi all,
My family and I are planning to move to Santo Domingo in 6-8 months. We're looking for a bilingual school for my 4 year old son (pre-K, will be 5 in November). He's very rambunctious and has been attending a Montessori style school for the past 2 years. He also doesn't speak Spanish. So, we're hoping to find a nurturing environment that would fit his learning style and help him learn Spanish. I've read about New Horizons,
Brilliant Minds, and Carla Morgan on other threads. What are your thoughts on these schools? Do you know of
any Montessori schools? Other suggestions welcome.

Also, when does the school year start/end for kids in the DR? Trying to figure out when to enroll him.

I also have a 1 1/2 year old daughter. Should we consider daycare or a nanny for her? Any recommendations for daycares that take 1 1/2 year olds?

Many thanks,
Kathrine

You might want to consider the American School, the International school or St Tomas which are all located in Arroyo Hondo, quite close to where the new US Emabassy will be. All three schools teach in English and do provide some spanish classes as well as mandatory Dominican history class. Not sure if the Embassy will close their housing compounds when they move the Embassy but either way you'll be traveling to the Arroyo Hondo area to get to the Office so you can drop off and pick up the kids on the way.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In that case the Community for Learning is one of the best options in that area.

kattan

Feb 22, 2012
Thanks everyone! Really appreciate the advice. Hope to get more information on where we might live so that we can better select a school. Will come back with more questions about specific schools soon...