Orange Internet Questions

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
How does this work. Does the Flybox pull the signal out of the air like cell phone does?

Are there any cables or just the Flybox?

Are those using the service happy with it?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Yes, it does. It has a sim card in it.

No cables, except for the electricity of course.

Generally speaking, after a year, I am quite happy with it. I think there was one occasion where they were out for a couple of hours, and 2 or 3 occasions where the speed fell back for an hour up to a day.

Feb 7, 2007
Orange Flybox - It is a hit or miss. Some people get great service and some experience horrible nightmares. It all depends on your location, the tower servicing your area, your distance form the tower and signal strength, interference and general 3G usage on that particular tower. Then, regional factors play role as well, such as bandwidth to/from the region and line saturation.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I live in El Neptuno condominium in Sosua, about 1.5 blocks from La Roca Any idea how service would be in my area?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Probably very good, but go to the main Orange office near BP, and just ask them if you can try it for an hour or so. They have one lying around there, and had no probs when I asked it. If necessary ask for the German owner of the shop.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Probably very good, but go to the main Orange office near BP, and just ask them if you can try it for an hour or so. They have one lying around there, and had no probs when I asked it. If necessary ask for the German owner of the shop.

Good suggestion. Thanks

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Another question.

How does the signal get from the flybox to the computer?

Do you use your wi-fi router with flybox so that the signal is spread throughout the apartment so that two different individuals could be using their computers simultaneously in different parts of the apartment?

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
You can just use it like an wireless modem. It still has wires if you have some problem with wi-fi. I think there are 5 outlets.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
The flybox acts like a router, so anybody with a puter and the key (password) can enjoy it. Yes you can hook it up with an ethernet cable to a computer, but there are only 2 connections, not 5.

SosuaSam

Jan 4, 2010
With the Flybox, you get a contract for a certain capacity per month (3Gb, 5 Gb, etc..) but is there a way to monitor your Gb consumption as you go along in a month?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I have the 10GB plan... I can safely guesstimate my GB consumption to about 1GB per day... Sometimes my high speed lasts me for 10 days, sometimes for 15 days... Then I am stuck to 384Kb/s for the rest of the month !!!!
I f I had more money to spend on that, I would go for the 25GB plan, so I would mostly be on high speed all the time...