question about Sosua

nickelfish

Feb 22, 2012
I'm going to Sosua for the first time in march 12 to 19 is that a good time. Also what will be a good place for me to go exchange money in Sosua.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
It is a good time, yes. There are many money stores in Sosua. In the tourist section they are on every corner. I use Caribe Express in Charamicos but the important thing is to get the best rate within a few decimal points. Just ask before changing. Current rate is approx. 38 pesos to 1 USD.

May 29, 2006
There are the exchange store fronts and the street changers. The main thing is never change at your hotel since they give the worst rate. If you are dealing with the street guys, change even amounts to avoid any "math errors." You can also change at the bank if you want to wait in line.

You can also bring your ATM card, which will charge some fee for a withdrawal, but only do this in the daytime. There are about a half dozen ATMs in town.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
The 2 best places to change dollars in Sosua proper, that I've found, are Western Union and Playero (just pay w/ USD, got 38.85 yesterday, real convenient + points on purchase).
The street guys are a pain in the a**.

Last edited:

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
If where to change currency is your biggest problem you are in for a great holiday. Seriously, it won't be a problem and you probably are in for a great holiday. Let us know how you get on.

nickelfish

Feb 22, 2012
thanks you'll....i have been googleing things to do and stuff. I booked my hotel at the Sosua Bay Beach Resort. it has 3.5 star but I'm not really worried about that, it was cheap. most likely i will just go there to sleep. My main concern is to go around and take photos."amateur photographer" trying to make it pro. I was looking to those monster truck rides they take you around the town wanted to capture some real people and their life style. 27 waterfalls of Damajagua sounded good, also Bay of Sosua Catamaran Cruise and Snorkeling and get some diving photos. if you guys can think of any other place i should visit that would be great. thanks in advance

May 29, 2006
The Outback Jungle Safari is good if you want to see the country outside of the cities and tourist zones. $65 for a 4 hour trip and they have a very high repeat customer rate. Don't book through your hotel for tours and you can save a lot of money.

nickelfish

Feb 22, 2012
"Don't book through your hotel for tours and you can save a lot of money."
so is it better to go there and book it? because i was looking at the viator.com they were saying outback safari is $80 if i book it now......how can i get that $65 price.

May 29, 2006
So that site is taking at least a $15 commission to book it for you...

http://www.outbacksafari.com.do/

I knew the Ex-pat who ran it when I was in Sosua. Super nice guy and he kicks back to the people out in the campo. You can see some video clips of the tours on his website.

It's been a while since I was in Sosua but there was this office by the Checkpoint bar that would book tours at a fair rate.

The best day trip I took was to the cock-fights in the campo, but you'll have to find some Dominican to take you and you might have to haggle about price. Be sure to carry plenty of water on your trips.

The Teleferrico(sp?) is good trip in Puerta Plata, esp when it's hot. The Marine park though was too pricey for me. If you plan on doing anything like biking or horseback riding, be sure to get your insurance figured out before you go.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i would caution you to exchange money during the day as a newbie. and if you happen to have to exchange at night only do enough for your fun. people are watching. :paranoid:

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
I always change my money with the guys on the street. If they do not offer the exchange that you want, you can negotiate.

Regarding tours, try www.mel-tour.com. They are right in Sosua, reasonably priced and trustworthy.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
One of the best i took was NJOY TOURS DOMINICAN REPUBLIC Deap Sea Fishing, Boat Safari.. You can choose between deep sea fishing or horseback-riding in the morning. If you take the horseback-riding, they will take you right into the campo, and you can take beautiful pics.

In the afternoon they will take you snorkeling in the piscina natural and visit the laguna grigri, amongst other things.

And, as mentioned before, insurance is a big thing and frequently lacking here. These guys are fully insured.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
thanks you'll....i have been googleing things to do and stuff. I booked my hotel at the Sosua Bay Beach Resort. it has 3.5 star but I'm not really worried about that, it was cheap. most likely i will just go there to sleep. My main concern is to go around and take photos."amateur photographer" trying to make it pro. I was looking to those monster truck rides they take you around the town wanted to capture some real people and their life style. 27 waterfalls of Damajagua sounded good, also Bay of Sosua Catamaran Cruise and Snorkeling and get some diving photos. if you guys can think of any other place i should visit that would be great. thanks in advance

The Monkey Jungle is a good tour, Mel's is reputable for booking.
Sosua Bay is right at the center of all of the activity, good choice.
Do Not do the 27 Waterfalls, lives are lost there, the guides are un-trained and the tour is deadly.

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
You mentioned diving. I would highly recommend North Coast Diving. My boyfirend uses them all the time. He is very satisfied with them. Also, right in Sosua.

grsher

Jan 16, 2008
I've done the waterfalls twice without any problems but my friend went when the current was strong and one of the party had some dificulty. Don't go the day after a heavy rain!!

MuchoMacho

Feb 20, 2012
Lol, the waterfalls are some of the most fun I've had here. I'm young and physically active, so I wouldn't recommend anyone who is out of shape or otherwise unfit to do physical activity to go. It's really not that dangerous though in my opinion.

May 29, 2006
One thing I'd really like to see in the DR is a butterfly house. I was lucky enough to see thousands of zebra butterflies one time when I took the teleferrico in PP, but I'd love to see some enclose area with all of the island's species.

There is place I used to go to in Massachusetts with tropical butterflies. For $8, it was a great deal:
Magic Wings Butterfly Conservatory & Gardens

37.jpg

Anyone ever see monarchs in the DR? I've seen them in the Turks and Caicos..