Volunteer interpreters for doctors and med students

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The organisers of a visit by medical students and doctors from the US to the Punta Cana area are looking for volunteers to help translate during clinics in local communities like Ver?n during the week of March 26-30. Volunteers need to have a good command of Spanish and English. A basic knowledge of medical terminology is helpful, as is a tactful and sensitive manner and a lack of squeamishness. :)

Please send me a PM and I will forward your details to the organisers.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Update from the organisers:
V Com outreach medical mission is back. Itinerary and locations below.
Translators and organizers needed… English, Creole, Spanish:

Monday March 26th, Hoyo de Friusa 9-3
Tues March 27th - Ver?n (near Manzanillo Supermarket) 9-3
Weds March 28th - Ver?n (Cristinita area) 9-3
Thurs March 29th - Ver?n (near the Polit?cnico) 9-3
Fri March 30th - Ver?n (Polit?cnico Ann and Ted Kheel) 9-3

Ending time may change each day, it depends on the number of patients.
The activity at Ann & Ted Kheel Polytechnic School (on Friday 30th) will be focused on the parents of students.

Wear comfortable clothing. Bring 'manitas limpias', water and a snack – sandwiches for yourself.
The community and the doctors and students appreciate your help.

Send me a PM and I will put you in direct contact with the organisers.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You seem to want a lot from your volunteers. If you talk to La Profe in POP, and see how she treats her volunteers, you might understand my comment.

If there were a med school in the vicinity, perhaps, but you are a far distance from the major schools...

Hope you find your people.

HB

gringostudent

Jun 20, 2005
you might want to try valuemd.com in the UNIBE and other Dominican medical schools forum. There are many bilingual medical students that might like to help. The closest med school to there is UCE but they dont have any real website with a forum.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I would look at any of the local foreign Christian missions because typically they sponsor similar events and of course are full of gringos willing to help. :)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Aw HB - my heart leapt at the thought that you might be offering your services!!!

They have several years of experience - they do this at least twice a year and always manage to recruit a decent crop of volunteers, both expats and Dominican residents. In addition, Punta Cana International and Cap Cana Heritage schools send a group of their high-school students. I was at the last one interpreting and it was a very rewarding experience.

Posting on DR1 is intended to offer the option to anyone new to the area who may want to join the volunteers. :)

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I would look at any of the local foreign Christian missions because typically they sponsor similar events and of course are full of gringos willing to help. :)

Chip, believe it or not this is a non-religious initiative, although all are welcome. :)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
you might want to try valuemd.com in the UNIBE and other Dominican medical schools forum. There are many bilingual medical students that might like to help. The closest med school to there is UCE but they dont have any real website with a forum.
Clarification - the doctors and med students come from Virginia Tech. The organisers here recruit volunteers to help with interpreting during the consultations and general organisation.

gringostudent

Jun 20, 2005
I understand that, but there are many medical students that are bilingual in the DR and studying to be a doctor in the states someday, and they love to help out in this sort of thing. It is a good way for them to get contacts in the states.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Heard about them the last time they were hear and everyone was impressed with the great work they did. It's too bad it's during work hours :( I would have loved to go help.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I understand that, but there are many medical students that are bilingual in the DR and studying to be a doctor in the states someday, and they love to help out in this sort of thing. It is a good way for them to get contacts in the states.
I wouldn't want to tread on the toes of this particular initiative, but if I get the chance I'll suggest it to the organisers - Punta Cana Foundation, or maybe something could be organised via the local branch of Unibe (Recinto Cap Cana).

Heard about them the last time they were hear and everyone was impressed with the great work they did. It's too bad it's during work hours :( I would have loved to go help.
Maybe your boss would let you loose for one morning? I've committed to one morning so far but aim to do more depending on my workload that week.