DR is one o the World,s top retirement haven!

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Soon DR will rise up the rankings! Property prices are increasing but cost of living is very low.

Much lower than the US! Millions are reaching retiring age!

World's top retirement havens - retiring overseas - MSN Money

Retire well overseas

In the U.S. today, the discussion about retirement orbits around
how much less of it we're all going to have. As the cost of everything
from health care to food swells, incomes, pensions and nest eggs erode, leaving
baby boomers fewer and fewer options for retirement in this country.

But if you look at the right places beyond our borders today,
you'll find you have more good choices than ever for a comfortable -- even
pampered – retirement. In any one of our top 19 havens for 2012, a lifestyle
well beyond your reach in the United States could be yours for pennies on the
dollar.

In this, our annual Global Retirement Index, we bring you the
top choices available on the planet today. From beachfront hideaways to
arts-rich colonial cities, from cosmopolitan capitals to small highland
villages, there's an overseas haven to fit your fantasy -- and your
budget.

We measure only the very best havens against one another. So the
country last on our list is still the 19th best in the world.

The
top 19 (in order) are, for varying reasons, Ecuador, Panama, Mexico, Malaysia,
Colombia, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Spain, Thailand, Honduras, Uruguay, Italy,
Brazil, Ireland, France, Costa Rica, Belize, Chile and the Dominican Republic.
Read on to find out what makes each of them special.

more at the link!

pi2

Oct 11, 2010
The two-sentence reference to the Dominican Republic out of a 15 page article speaks for itself.

"On the white-sand beaches of the Dominican Republic, $2,000 a month means living in a luxury apartment, having a maid, heath care -- everything. And, of course, it's easily done for less."

To those who believe this, GOOD LUCK!!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Allow it to be called, "The Dominican" . That will guarantee an increase in notoriety.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Seriously, it wasn't a particularly good article. It would have been more helpful if the writer organized their thoughts and took on one country per paragraph or section. As it stands, a reader wouldn't know how to distinguish living in Mexico vs. Honduras vs. DR by anything other than a low cost of living price point.

And what about the transitional challenges? There was no discussion, so a prospective expat is effectively reading a "MOVE! NOW!" advertisement.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Maybe people should realize moving to another country is not for everyone. Maybe they should mention the fact you have to give up all kinds of stuff, getting other stuff in return. Oh wait... we are talking about the DR... so you will get bland food, high electricity bills, electricity when they want to give it to you, corrupt government, bad roads, etc...

So why did I move?? I am an idiot! Just joking... I love the climate, the people, the beaches, the lack of stress, etc...

There are a lot of contra's, but the pro's outweigh it for me. I am equally sure a lot of people will not be able to hack it here.

Do we really want a second Florida, or for the Europeans, Benidorm here?

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I suspect the writer of the article isn't a writer. It reads more like someone Googled a bunch of stuff to cram it together for selling it to International Living for the $200 they probably paid for the article. Virtually everyone knows that is a ridiculous list and an even more pathetic article.

I personally am not that keen on promoting the DR as a retirement haven. The Dominicans drive so poorly can you imagine a road full of blue hairs (ala Florida) puttering along in their imported Cadillacs trying to navigate these roads? Wait, that might actually be entertaining! Bring 'em on!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Speaking of which,no electricity here in Arroyo Hondo,SD since early morning.
So much for my 15,000 peso bill,and allowing me to live in a "24/7" electicity zone!

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Maybe people should realize moving to another country is not for everyone. Maybe they should mention the fact you have to give up all kinds of stuff, getting other stuff in return. Oh wait... we are talking about the DR... so you will get bland food, high electricity bills, electricity when they want to give it to you, corrupt government, bad roads, etc...

So why did I move?? I am an idiot! Just joking... I love the climate, the people, the beaches, the lack of stress, etc...

There are a lot of contra's, but the pro's outweigh it for me. I am equally sure a lot of people will not be able to hack it here.

Don't think that'll really happen. One of the biggest benefits to the "usual suspect" expat destinations (BC in Mexico, Costa Rica, and Panama) are first-world conditions in the big cities, solid infrastructure, and - this part can't be emphasized enough - solid, easily accessible healthcare.

Remember, most expats are retirees, moving away after a lifetime of taking less-than-ideal care of themselves. It's cool that HOMS is in Santiago, and that you can get coverage for it, but what if you're in Barahona when you get ill? The areas mentioned in the previous paragraphs have numerous excellent hospitals available, many of which are disproportionately close to the "expat enclaves."

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
There is no such thing here... Edenorte blew up our transformer at 5pm a couple of weeks ago, and the guys just left. They came back late afternoon the following day... The only thing they are really good at is cutting you off if you are one hour late in paying!!!

Could somebody please explain to me why they always have 3 cashiers in Sosua for you to pay your bill, but the 3 last days they have only one working, and the rest just resting their asses???

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
That's jut the way they "WORK" here!
"Work" in the DR? Now there's an "Oxymoron"!
Several years ago,EDESUR opened a new office near Supermercado National in Arroyo Hondo.
Nice place.They had three cashiers "working" there.
Then they took out one cashier's booth,that left only two.
Now,they still have two booths,but only one cashier.
I pay my bill by telephone.you can also pay "on-line".Beats waiting in line.
CC

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Could somebody please explain to me why they always have 3 cashiers in Sosua for you to pay your bill, but the 3 last days they have only one working, and the rest just resting their asses???

Did you watch that 30min docu I posted up last night? There are some great statements that hit with so much similarities. It is a one mans personal experience with Cuba Pro's but the similarities are great, and has a few good quotes about Cubans and work.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Speaking of which,no electricity here in Arroyo Hondo,SD since early morning.
So much for my 15,000 peso bill,and allowing me to live in a "24/7" electicity zone!

I must thankyou for the contributions CC, so don't feel so bad about it, the relatives really appreciate the free electricity you provide them and all the neighbours with. Your efforts do not go unnoticed, although I sometimes struggle to get it through to them that there is such a thing as an electricity bill, I don't think it does sink in though as they've never seen one. But Thanks!

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
You really are too much! I think the solar rays have recharged your energizer batteries a wee bit much...LOL :D:D:D :bunny::bunny::bunny:

NotLurking

Solar is powering TV and computer just now!

Hope soon 100% solar.

Sunny DR is so attractive! sure to move up the list!

pi2

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
nothing to give up! superb range of food at low cost! small investment required for solar electric - no bills for ever! increasing network of superb uncrowded roads! good government! increasing international community! good range of affordable housing to buy!

pi2