Considering Hacienda El Choco ... any opinions

bull123

Feb 23, 2012
My wife and I are considering buying a piece of land in Hacienda El Choco. Anyone out there have any opinions or other choices? Who would be a good builder to go with and what is the average cost for construction based on square foot USA dollars. Your comments would be appreciated ...

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
You can buy land or houses in HeC. I like the area up there quite a bit as opposed to the beachfront or oceanfront communities. You are near enough to virtually everything yet far enough from the sea salt blast that your ceiling fans will last more than 6 months at a time. I think it is a good choice.

Get in touch with Eric Urbahn (Eric M. Urbahn A.I.A. Architecture and Planning) for a superb architect. In the spirit of disclosure, he was the architect of my house (Villa Castellamonte > Dominican Republic Beach Villa Rental | Dominican Vacation Rentals by Owner) and also did Flor de Cabrera (Dominican Republic Vacations | Luxury Villas | Dominican Republic Villa Rental | Awesome Caribbean Locations | Flor De Cabrera) and Villa Anacaona (55,000 sq ft of pure luxury) among dozens of others. He is from Nantucket, MA originally (I think).

Another excellent choice is Sarah Garcia (estudio sarah garcia) who is reputed to be the best Dominican architect. She did SHR #1, Sunrise Villa (Cabrera), Villa Cantamar (Abreu) and Casa Colonial (Casa Colonial Beach Resort & Spa, Dominican Republic Luxury Hotel) among many others.

Third choice is Jasmit Rangr (Rangr Studio - Architecture + Design) who lives in New York but created Casa Kimball (Casa Kimball) in Cabrera a few years ago as one of his forays into the Caribbean. Check his website, he is remarkable for the architectural style of his focus.

Use your architect to locate a builder because they will have to work together closely. Construction cost depends a lot on your materials and finish work. You will get quotes from $85/f2 to $250/f2 without more specifics.

Hope this helps!

bull123

Feb 23, 2012
Any more economical choices? You guys went a little overboard with your construction (beautiful houses if you are Donald Trump) ... $250 a square foot?