been here for a few months

beyondnyc

Feb 23, 2012
Hello Everyone,

I am very happy to have found this forum. I wish I had it the entire time I was here. Would have avoided some mistakes. I have been lurking and reading your forums. Really helpful. I moved here from nyc about four months ago. Wanted to start a business here and plans fell through. And my friends and business partner went the same way. I really like living here though. Besides being more affordable than nyc, the weather is great. The country reminds me a bit of my homeland, Malaysia.

So I finally settled down and got an apartment. In a nice private area in Santo Domingo. It is hard to find people to hang out with. I mean people that you want to hang out with that don't just want you to pay for everything. I visited the colonial zone. Stay a month at villa duarte-I know. And I am ok. I like this side of SD a lot more.

I would like to see if there are areas like the colonial zone where people can walk around and check things out. Usually, I drive everywhere from one shopping center to another area. Miss that about nyc.

Also, do you guys/gals meet up. Would be great to plan something. Thanks for this forum. Great read.

Liong

Sohrab

Oct 1, 2010
Bienvenido a la rep?blica dominicana

If you understand the above, you'll meet many soon!:)

MuchoMacho

Feb 20, 2012
Welcome to the DR! Never lived in the SD so I'm sure other more qualified members will be able to give you a break down but my advice on meeting people is go to gringo bars and be friendly. Just chat up people. If you're normal and outgoing and tell people you moved down here by yourself I'm sure you'll make friends fast. Most Dominican friends that I have I met through doing regular every day stuff, not at the bars or on the street. For example join a gym and talk to the people - assuming you speak Spanish.