Gps

MuchoMacho

Feb 20, 2012
If by GPS you mean a map in the glove compartment box, then yes. But you will probably have to buy the map yourself.

Lol, joking of course, I've never seen a car with GPS, let alone a rental. Sorry.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
If by GPS you mean a map in the glove compartment box, then yes. But you will probably have to buy the map yourself.

Lol, joking of course, I've never seen a car with GPS, let alone a rental. Sorry.

GPS is alive and well in the Dominican Republic.
I use a Garmin Nuvi with a Dominican Republic map, which I downloaded and installed myself.
My neighbor drives a Taxi and he also has a Garmin Nuvi with the Dominican map.

Mine also has a battery backup and can be used without a car for about 4 hours.
Have used it by hand in Sosua and Santo Domingo.

Chances of one in a rental car is probably going to be hard to find.
For one thing, it would probably be stolen.

D in Santiago

rh8371

Nov 5, 2008
Is it possible to rent a GPS equipped car in the DR?

GPS is available for rent at Las Americas Airport in the departures area (from some strange reason) that may be why no one knows about it. Some of the major rent a cars do also offer for a fee (cheaper at the GPS counter)

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Might be good......

....for showing you where you are at any given time, but since most Dominican's don't know where they live it's not going to get you to Jorge's house. :)

Last edited:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
....for showing you where you are at any given time, but since most Dominican's don't know where they live it's not going to get you to Jorge's house. :)

With the tracking bread crumbs turned on, you will be able to find your way back out of somewhere you have never been before. Or back to the main highway if you get lost, etc.

My sister-in-law once took us to visit someone whom she knew where she lived (Ha ha ha). We went in many circles and asked many people before we found the place she knew where it was. Trying to return would have been rough without the GPS, we took the direct route back out of the barrio (Zoomed out on the map and saw where we had entered the barrio).

D in Santiago

Jose Papito

Oct 30, 2011
GPS is alive and well in the Dominican Republic.
I use a Garmin Nuvi with a Dominican Republic map, which I downloaded and installed myself.
My neighbor drives a Taxi and he also has a Garmin Nuvi with the Dominican map.

D in Santiago

I'm looking for a downloadable map of DR for my Garmin gps. Is this map you downloaded by Garmin?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I'm looking for a downloadable map of DR for my Garmin gps. Is this map you downloaded by Garmin?

It's not by Garmin but will work in the new Garmin units.

I need to re-locate the site I downloaded it from.
Will post back when i find it.

After downloading it, I put it on a memory card that fits my Garmin Nuvi.