Majestic Colonial - Need Help

MuchoMacho

Feb 20, 2012
Hi Guys,

I'm in a bit of a jam here, I live in Puerto Plata and my sister, her husband and a bunch of her friends are staying at the Majestic Colonial From Feb 25th till March 4th. Basically I knew they were coming and hotels here in Puerto Plata you walk up to front desk and check in, you don't need to make a reservation. I felt since it's an 8 hour drive or whatever, I should check and make sure there was availability. To my shock Majestic Colonial and Majestic Elegance are booked SOLID. No rooms at any price.

That's the back story, here are my questions:

1) Do you think if I show up at front desk they'll magically have some rooms available? ie last minute cancellations etc.

2) What would you recommend I do in this situation? I was thinking I could buy day passes and stay in a near buy Cabana or something. Not ideal, but I'm looking for ideas.

3) On Google maps it looks like Grand Paradise Bavaro is on the same complex. Can anyone confirm this? They have availability there and I'm thinking even if I have to walk over every day, at least I'll be able to spend time with my sister and enjoy a vacation. However if guests of Grand Paradise are not allowed on the property of Colonial Majestic/Elegance than I may as well stay at a Cabana and buy the day passes.

Any help/advice/etc would be greatly appreciated. I know this is super last minute, but living in the DR for the past two years on the North Coast I never would have imagined that it'd be sold out completely. I thought if anything I might have to pay a bit more depending on the manager on duty.

Thanks!

lachicabelga

Feb 23, 2012
Hi,

Grand Paradise is located next to the majestic. You can walk on the beach but you are not allowed to get in the resort...

Maybe you can ask to put an extra bed in one of your friends rooms???

MuchoMacho

Feb 20, 2012
That's a good idea. I am definitely going to inquire about that. It's not ideal because I'm a loud snorer and don't want to ruin their vacation but if push comes to shove, I'll buy them some ear plugs!

Thanks.

Feb 7, 2007
Both Majestic Colonial and Majestic Elegance are sold out on all levels, major tour operators including. I think they even have stop sales so no chance of getting the room even if the tour op has unused slots. Your only chance is to go as additional passenger, and the easiest way to sort it out is through the foreign tour op. Other option (which I am not sure is available in high season) is a day pass.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
PJT has been informed the occupancy level of all the resorts in the Punta Cana area is maxed out. PJT has been to PUJ airport several times these past few weeks and observed tourist traffic has noticibly increased. The large parking area at the arrivals terminal is "full" of buses and taxis. Public parking for non commercial use is: hope you can find an open space.

Regards,

PJT

G

gotgames

Sugestions on anywhere to stay near or in Punta Cana week of 3-5-2012 to 3-8-2012.

MuchoMacho

Feb 20, 2012
Just got back today. It was definitely packed solid, no amount of arguing or sweet talking at the front desk would change it. I ended up staying in Cabanas and buying day passes. Day passes cost $90 from morning till 2am, if you show up after 1pm they generally charge $50.

First night I got hammered and was looking for the easiest/closest cabana to stay in and went to the one across from Iberia. At night time it looked like it had a waterpark attached to it with a big octopus entrance. The room was like a jail cell and the mattress was no better than a slab of concrete. No hot water. Dirty towels, etc. Do not recommend it. Damage was 1000 pesos from about 3am till 10am the following day.

Second night I went a little further down the road (away from majestic, towards the main traffic light in Bavaro) to a place called "Cool", it was a hotel but it also had a disco so it was well lit at night. The room was more comfortable, the only thing is it had a window facing an open lot. I paid 1200 pesos for the night and ended up sleeping in till 12 or 1 pm.

Every other night I went further down the road to the other side of town to a Cabana that I don't remember the name of but the outside looks like a castle. This place had warm water, friendly staff, and it was 700 pesos for a short stay and 1300 pesos for an overnight.

Just thought I'd leave some info in case any one digs up this thread later and wondered what I had done.