Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I was considering moving and doing business in Dom Rep until reading the safety topic

Hi, my first day finding and reading this forum.

I'm in the process of finding a pace to settle for awhile and live the dream. Nice home or penthouse on or close to a white sand beach with crystal clear waters. Spend my days playing in the ocean and freely exploring the jungle. Hire someone to help with domestic needs and take a closer look at the Free Zone.

Initially, I have been looking at Costa Rica or Brazil. The Dom Rep just recently came to interest after hearing about advantages of doing business in the Free Zone. Tax free for 20 years? Sounds good.

After reading the thread here about safety concerns, I'm not so sure this is a good idea after all. I want to live free, happily, in the sunshine and never have to worry about razor wire fences, bars over the windows, carrying a 9mm, barking alarm systems.... I want it to be perfectly safe to SMILE and be happy like a kid again.

With everything said in that thread, why on Earth would anyone want to visit, let alone relocate to the Dom Rep?

Is Costa Rica the way to go?

Thanks

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's see I have been living here full time for 6 years with out any problems.

I was robbed within 1 hour of landing in Costa Rica... Go figure.

Bob K

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Are these posts in the safety thread by overly fearful people? It's made the DR sound like a lawless war zone, where you might get mugged for smiling too much or being outwardly happy, lol. Not to mention the posts about the police being worse than the criminals?

I've just never seen so much talk about safety on than I have on these forums.. which is an obvious concern to anyone considering a move. Please note, I've done extensive traveling to more than 50 countries and have seen the poorest of the poor neighborhoods, and have never been close to feeling I was in danger.

4. Likes Softail liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

maybe if you move to the moon you can solve your "smile" & "sunshine" needs...be careful of the solar flares

6. Likes frank12, rubio_higuey liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Nvm... Mods feel free to close or delete the topic. It's just going to be trolled. I'll look for info and advise elsewhere.

Cheers

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Safety is a concern in any country, the Dominican Republic is no different. I've lived here for nearly a decade, brought my kids here when they were teenagers and now have brought my grandson here. Why? Because it is safe, serene, relaxing and beautiful here, IMHO.

There are others who write as if the country is a warzone and maybe it is where they live. I know I wouldn't want to live on the south side of Philadelphia, either! Pick your spot, use common sense in security and you should be fine. You'll love it here.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Firstly, my question is, Have you ever been here to see for yourself? There are a lot of varying opinions on this board, but you have to come and see for yourself. As Castellamonte stated it depends on where you are. I have lived here 8 yrs and haven't been held up or robbed, but I know other people that have on numerous occasions...sometimes trouble gravitates to some people more than others....I love the island, and feel safer here than in Calgary Alberta Canada.
    But until you come and find answers for yourself, you won't really know if its good for you or not.

10. Likes frank12, Softail, amstellite liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, i agree with Castellmonte and Hammerdown, i travel this island weekly and never had a problem; i partially grew up here and went to high school here (in Bonao) and never had a problem; i work late at night on the beach here on the North coast and never had a problem; i walk around at night and never had a problem. but then i know some expats down here who stumble around drunk every night, and sometimes try and purchase drugs, and they seem to find trouble all of the time. Crime can be random sometimes and find anyone, anywhere, including Bob K, in the above post, but I really think crime is mostly through association and who you hang out with and what you do with your time.

Come on down Bonkers. this place isn't any more dangerous then wherever you're from. there are good people and bad people. it's like everywhere in the world down here.

Frank

12. Likes N/A, Africaida, amstellite liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

i think he is already gone to CR

14. Likes rubio_higuey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My husband and I were really looking forward to checking out DR for maybe settling in at some point, but after reading all the posts about driving to places with a shotgun on the front seat, never stopping for anything, people killing you in your sleep at home, we've begun to wonder. We like the "pioneer" spirit of making your own way, but if it's at the cost of your life, and the lives of your family, I don't think it's worth it.

You said there were places to avoid, but can you tell us where it would be safer then? Or does it depend on a certain areas of different towns or something like that? In our town: Louisville, Kentucky, there are places you don't go into if you value your life, but then again, places that are really safe. But the crime isn't organized either, not like armed militia barging into your home (like that one gentleman in JD? whose gf got gang-raped.).

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast